SS Standard TIE

Hey DD, thanks for the offer, I am going to hit you up when I get to my PL Refit for those paints and techniques. For this I wanted just a simple flat/shiny.
I am actually backing off that now as I have spent so much time fixing my errors and cleaning up the wings I think I am going to just spray them a satin black,haven't decided,but this model whooped me. There are some warps in the wings that are not fixable as the curve only occurred on one side so if I straighten it out the other side would be curved. The top and bottom of the wings are not parallel so they will never be straight so I have to give up on that.:cryI did a whole bunch of cleanup on the wings. Every corner was re-built with putty and styrene to get nice sharp edges.I also was able to raise one side up to bring the two wings closer to parallel,but I had to cut some parts off for that,which won't be visible unless I point it out. They went under primer yesterday and I imagine I will have pics up in a few days (or couple weeks:rolleyes) of the finished Tie.

If I had it to do again I would get hero wings and get Koolshade someday in the future so that I could have the opportunity to straighten out any warps. I would create my own armature as now I am worried about sagging.

All the things I had to deal with here are normal for a resin kit. I would just caution builders to modify the resin armature (if needed) before making mods to the fuselage,and also check your wings for fit and orientation to get the good parts of the casts facing forward. My wings are in the proper orientation but would have fit better if I switched mine around and better parts of the castings would have shown. Pics soon if anyone cares.:$

Hey DD, thanks for the offer, I am going to hit you up when I get to my PL Refit for those paints and techniques. For this I wanted just a simple flat/shiny.
I am actually backing off that now as I have spent so much time fixing my errors and cleaning up the wings I think I am going to just spray them a satin black,haven't decided,but this model whooped me. There are some warps in the wings that are not fixable as the curve only occurred on one side so if I straighten it out the other side would be curved. The top and bottom of the wings are not parallel so they will never be straight so I have to give up on that.:cryI did a whole bunch of cleanup on the wings. Every corner was re-built with putty and styrene to get nice sharp edges.I also was able to raise one side up to bring the two wings closer to parallel,but I had to cut some parts off for that,which won't be visible unless I point it out. They went under primer yesterday and I imagine I will have pics up in a few days (or couple weeks:rolleyes) of the finished Tie.

If I had it to do again I would get hero wings and get Koolshade someday in the future so that I could have the opportunity to straighten out any warps. I would create my own armature as now I am worried about sagging.

All the things I had to deal with here are normal for a resin kit. I would just caution builders to modify the resin armature (if needed) before making mods to the fuselage,and also check your wings for fit and orientation to get the good parts of the casts facing forward. My wings are in the proper orientation but would have fit better if I switched mine around and better parts of the castings would have shown. Pics soon if anyone cares.:$

I used Krylon Semi Flat Black for the wings, just enough shine.

GFollano

Thanks GF. I bought a satin black from Tamiya which I bet is close in sheen. I love their rattle cans,although kind of pricey. I did my x-wing with all Tamiya rattle cans. My colors may not be exact,but they are close enough for me. :sleep

Can I ask about the masking process? Mask and paint panels first,then mask panels and paint main color? Did you encounter alot of touch up? She is coming out pretty nice paint wise and I would hate to screw it up now :confused.

Hit the model with your black over a primer coat first. Then mask off your panels, and hit it with the blue/grey. No touch ups, and a perfect wing solar panel....and just a tip, custom mix your blue hue from Tamiya, with this brand, you can get pretty close.

lee

Fett,
Is it possible you are temporarily suffering as we all do- by being to harsh on yourself as we strive for that ever elusive 'perfection'?
We all set our own goals and wind up judging ourselves but sometimes there's a wide gap between how we see that we "know" to be wrong and what everyone else sees as the overall subject?
I know you've worked hard and it was looking good last time I saw? Sorry to ramble but I'm hoping you'll get comfortable with your accomplishments again and forge ahead to share what I'm sure will be one more fantastic completed SS TIE for the rest of us to enjoy!:cool

Like Lee said,

First paint the black solar panels, just rough mask the star section and edges, it doesn't matter if you get some black paint on there, then mask solar panels and paint the main blue/grey color. I used Tamiya rattle can Haze Grey, very close match to orignal ANH color. You can see how I masked mine here: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=70234

To speed up masking process, I made 6 cardboard templates in the shape of each solar panel leaving approx. 1/4 gap all around, I first used 1/4" strips masking tape for all the edges, I used the green Low Tack masking tape available at Home Depot, then used wide masking tape (3-4 overlapped pieces) that was precut using my carboard templates to fill in the center, the longest process is applying the 1/4" strips. Just repat all side by reversing the cardboard for each wing side. I found this process to be pretty fast.

GFollano

Last edited:
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back