SS Hero Tie Fighter

Good call on those outer pieces there. On mine one side is really close and required minor filling, the other had a very large gap. Removing the keys as GF did and sanding them down considerably on the inside would have alleviated this problem. Its looking good DD. Have you decided on colors yet or are you going to custom mix?

Last edited:
With the cockpit halves in place and clamped slightly you can see how snug everything is now. There are no gaps between the wing mounts and the newly sleeved armature with the white styrene visible.
000_0005.jpg

000_0006.jpg

000_0007.jpg

Now the outer wing mounts will be another story. It's as if the two part molds weren't fully seated or the resin raised them apart as curing? They're considerably "thicker" than their counterparts and will require sanding on the inside to get them thinner and "round" where they join.
000_0002-2.jpg

I had to sand those quite a bit and then reshaped under hot water. Just put them under hot water until they get soft then close them up and hold while you run them under cold water.

GFollano

GF,
Thanks for the pointers! Don't anyone assume that I think I know it all! I appreciate all the tips and tricks from those who have already built theirs!

Fett-Ish,
Awaiting my client's decision on the color scheme. I'll be happy with either one of course.

Speaking of tips-
Would anyone have the trimming out of the wing "edges" info handy? Forgive me if it was already covered but the threads I've found didn't quite outline the steps and shapes/pieces used? I'd hate to eyeball it and then be proven wrong.:unsure

Thank you, all, again.

With all the research that went into the Tie armature WHY anyone would butcher the definitive mount... is beyond me.:rolleyes

IF you've built this kit and yours fit and worked then I am glad for you.

I explained earlier that my client wants something "different" with his display and that means as minimal a display "rod" as possible and to that end any weight savings can help.

I did not come here to tell everyone they're "wrong". My example needed a sleeve which happens to hide all the material which was removed and I did accomplish a weight savings. I don't really see how that should upset anyone? Unless you want to point out how at least one traveling studio model clearly shows some metal where the paint didn't quite cover and by getting a better fit along with the inherently better adhesion of paint to styrene mine won't? But that's an ESB version while my client wants an ANH scheme anyways. So let me ask you this-

What diameter is the studio armature? Mine, with very minimal runout is 28.5mm while I've read another thread where it it was said that the armature was intended to be 30mm. I can't confirm that but it seems about right when you trim the cockpit castings of "flash" and do a lil bit of filing on the areas to be joined to retain round openings on the dissected halves where the upper and lower "covers" go. Sand away more of the cockpit halves until the armature doesn't rattle inside and those openings won't meet up to form a good circular opening nor will the different sets of wingmounts meet up nicely? Besides, my sanding so far has been down to the "tell marks" where the castings were intended to end.
Speaking of that while it might be the "definitive studio armature" the outer locating keyways for the wing mounts place those too close against the cockpit mounted wing mounts? Mine isn't the only build thread to have this issue.

So I'm adjusting some things (a part of ANY GK kit build) and while I still praise this kit I've obviously struck a nerve with some folks?:rolleyes

Wanna take a vote?
Would you good folks at the RPF rather not see anymore of this WIP? That's easily done.

The outer wing mounts were cleaned of "flash", ground out some on the inner diameter and then fitted to the armature. The locating keyways would have caused the inner and outer wing mounts to overlap. So the resin keys inside the mounts were removed and if you look closely you'll see where the slot of the armature is almost visible within the resin mount. A lil CA and paint will eventually cover that though and final sizing isn't done yet since it appears those four lil "pads/squares" which protrude out aren't quite the same from inner to outer. Normal filing and fitment for any resin kit though and that should bring the spacing between them into better symmetry.

000_0006-1.jpg

000_0007-1.jpg

000_0005-1.jpg

So I'm adjusting some things (a part of ANY GK kit build) and while I still praise this kit I've obviously struck a nerve with some folks?:rolleyes

Wanna take a vote?
Would you good folks at the RPF rather not see anymore of this WIP? That's easily done.

Well in several ways I'm a part of this kit , Steve and I beat each other over the head with various details over many a year... So yea I'm biased. The final renderings are a culmination of people working together WITH the actual measurements of an ANH Tie. As with the findings of the "Tie Killer Y-Wing" the details and measurements are 110% unrefuted. Some call this HANDS on.

Vote? :confused What is there to vote on? You seem to enjoy clamoring over on the RI cesspool and bashing the efforts of my friends whom have championed studio scale accuracy, and offer exactly that in a kit. Think you can do better? I don't think so.
Where do you get off? Anything that comes from Steve N. is as perfect to the original as it can be. The licence holder sees this and the public will see this also. Have an issue PLEASE post it...!

You sound like a bitter, biased, sad wee sock puppet...:rolleyes

BU-BYE

Well in several ways I'm a part of this kit , Steve and I beat each other over the head with various details over many a year... So yea I'm biased. The final renderings are a culmination of people working together WITH the actual measurements of an ANH Tie. As with the findings of the "Tie Killer Y-Wing" the details and measurements are 110% unrefuted. Some call this HANDS on.

Vote? :confused What is there to vote on? You seem to enjoy clamoring over on the RI cesspool and bashing the efforts of my friends whom have championed studio scale accuracy, and offer exactly that in a kit. Think you can do better? I don't think so.
Where do you get off? Anything that comes from Steve N. is as perfect to the original as it can be. The licence holder sees this and the public will see this also. Have an issue PLEASE post it...!

You sound like a bitter, biased, sad wee sock puppet...:rolleyes

BU-BYE

I have NEVER bashed Steve and instead have complimented "his" kit repeatedly. I am merely sharing the steps as I build it in the fashion that I choose.

With you being involved I can understand a natural bias or concern which can almost become "defensive" but any negativity I have voiced has been to that manner which you and your associates have addressed yourselves to me.

You have a vested interest in this kit and with whatever gets shared by anyone building it but that will never preclude what folks who do receive it will deem necessary or desirable to finish it.

I've not questioned it's accuracy, badmouthed Steve nor gone out of my way to disrespect the work that went into it in order to deliver it into the hands of the masses.

Yet you, Dave and Ralphee have resorted to statements against me personally.

So what's your problem?

Now your signoff in your post can just as easily be turned back at ya.

I have NEVER bashed Steve and instead have complimented "his" kit repeatedly. I am merely sharing the steps as I build it in the fashion that I choose.

With you being involved I can understand a natural bias or concern which can almost become "defensive" but any negativity I have voiced has been to that manner which you and your associates have addressed yourselves to me.

You have a vested interest in this kit and with whatever gets shared by anyone building it but that will never preclude what folks who do receive it will deem necessary or desirable to finish it.

I've not questioned it's accuracy, badmouthed Steve nor gone out of my way to disrespect the work that went into it in order to deliver it into the hands of the masses.

Now your signoff in your post can just as easily be turned back at ya.

What is the crap have you been spewing on the RI? (chance to clear yourself)? Need we quote you? Seriously?

What is this gibberish you are talking about as far as ..."You have a vested interest in this kit and with whatever gets shared by anyone building it but that will never preclude what folks who do receive it will deem necessary or desirable to finish it.".....

WHAT AND THE HELL DOES THIS MEAN?..????? In English please...:wacko

What is the crap have you been spewing on the RI? (chance to clear yourself)? Need we quote you? Seriously?

What is this gibberish you are talking about as far as ..."You have a vested interest in this kit and with whatever gets shared by anyone building it but that will never preclude what folks who do receive it will deem necessary or desirable to finish it.".....

WHAT AND THE HELL DOES THIS MEAN?..????? In English please...:wacko

Sorry- I tired to be clear?

It means that I understand when anyone who has a hand in bringing a kit to market sees anything that could possibly look as if it even implies the kit "needs" extra work it can make them nervous as reflecting badly on the product. That's human nature. Yet, anyone can choose to modify a kit for whatever reason and unless it goes hand in hand with them saying something like the kit was crap and I had to fix it, it is not an insult to the producer of the kit. Even if they explained why they had to change something it merely reflects their own experience and shouldn't be taken as an insult unless accompanied with insults.

The statements I've made at the RI are in response to how only a few folks here have taken shots at me personally and it's plain as day that I've explained that too.

Quote away but make sure to quote everything in it's entirety so it's not out of context. But since everything is in it's entirety over there why bring it up here?

Quackers, completely quackers :lol

lee

The thread at the RI is to address my concerns over what I see as personal attacks.

This is JUST a build thread as I have said repeatedly. I can't be any clearer and I'm not calling any of you gents names over here.

I'd appreciate it if you can accept that and allow the sharing of the build to continue. My client paid Steve's price to receive the kit. A sale was completed and now a build is commencing. That is all.

Feel free to get to the personal level with me at the RI but perhaps you can stop the sniping within this thread?

DD, I'm curious how it looks on the other side? I took the pic you posted of your modified armature and noticed that the slots are different distances from the center. Presumably, the "keys" are for a specific pylon end piece. Maybe you just grabbed the wrong end piece and assumed that they were identical? I don't have a kit, I just noticed the difference on the armature and am speculating.

modarm.jpg

DD, I'm curious how it looks on the other side? I took the pic you posted of your modified armature and noticed that the slots are different distances from the center. Presumably, the "keys" are for a specific pylon end piece. Maybe you just grabbed the wrong end piece and assumed that they were identical? I don't have a kit, I just noticed the difference on the armature and am speculating.

modarm.jpg

A good point.

They are keyed in that area to make sure you locate one top and one bottom half to the main cockpit "ball". It can only assemble one way. The keyways I'm referring to are further out nearest the ends and appear as flat spots in the circumference. The corresponding resin pieces on those "outer wing supports" appear to be interchangeable and even if they are not- mine didn't align whichever way you swapped them. There is at least one other build thread shared here reporting the same issue?

But a good point and it never hurts to ask.

Hmm. Well, the only other thought I have is maybe your machinist took off too much of the flat spot/key? You backfilled sheet styrene right up to both sides - and did a top job of it, too - of the flat spot. If the flat spot was "wider" than it really needed to be prior to machining, there would have been some wiggle room maybe, to slide the pylon end pieces into position...? Again, I don't have any parts to examine. Someone with a metal armature could probably be more help.

Hmm. Well, the only other thought I have is maybe your machinist took off too much of the flat spot/key? You backfilled sheet styrene right up to both sides - and did a top job of it, too - of the flat spot. If the flat spot was "wider" than it really needed to be prior to machining, there would have been some wiggle room maybe, to slide the pylon end pieces into position...? Again, I don't have any parts to examine. Someone with a metal armature could probably be more help.

While that could be possible it wouldn't explain that the flat spot extends too far inward and therefore that would have been visible on a stock build as well. While "wiggle room" could have helped move the outer mounts farther outwards as I see mine need it still would have resulted in the keyway being visible. He certainly didn't remachine the flatspot to cause what I'm seeing. I know this now comes down to a possible case of someone saying that I must have been the cause but you'll hopefully understand that's not what happened. And while the other case was a resin armature where shrinkage was speculated it actually matches up with my experience with this metal one. I don't have the answer and I'm not speculating what caused it. All I can ever do is share what I am building.

The thread at the RI is to address my concerns over what I see as personal attacks.

This is JUST a build thread as I have said repeatedly. I can't be any clearer and I'm not calling any of you gents names over here.

I'd appreciate it if you can accept that and allow the sharing of the build to continue. My client paid Steve's price to receive the kit. A sale was completed and now a build is commencing. That is all.

Feel free to get to the personal level with me at the RI but perhaps you can stop the sniping within this thread?

Your completely right....how very crass of me, please accept my sincerest apologies.
I will add, here at the RPF, your going to get this kind of crit, especially when your tweaking with accuracy that doesnt belong.....kinda what we try to strive for over here....us "anal weenie's" that is.

lee

All I can ever do is share what I am building.

No, I understand where you're coming from. I've been guilty of criticizing and modifying a GK or two in my day. :$

Steve's phone # is in the TIE thread, a few times over. I would give him a call and see if this can get sorted out. Steve may have sent a master for machining, knowing that the master works with his kit, and assumed that the machined parts matched the master. Or, maybe this is a bad batch by the machinist. If I'd previously received a set of armatures that were fine, I probably wouldn't bother to check the next batch. Again, I'm really just speculating based on an assumption that everyone is just making models.

In person communication is the way to go. Text can really undermine otherwise harmless intent. Can you post the dimensions of both key locations from the ends or center of the armature? That way there'd be some hard info for Steve to assess.

BTW, I'm not saying people aren't capable of mistakes - we're all human, and if I had a buck for every time I cut a part too long or short, well....

But, it sure seems reasonable that guys who are as dedicated to SS accuracy as Steve's team would have checked the fit of the armature. I don't know what's up with the resin version. TBH, I haven't read the non-hero threads because I'm strictly an SS nut, too - LOL!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back