Visible Me-262A1-A - Many large pics

Gigatron

Sr Member
Hey guys,

This is Trumpeter's 1/32 offering of the venerable Schwabble StormBird. The fit and detail on the kit is phenominal. Very few seams, no flash and minimal ejector pin marks. It's dressed up with a few Eduard photo etch sets and whole lot of scratchbuilt parts. Decals were probably the worst part of the kit. They're a bit thick, but do take nicely to solvent and solution. But, they do have a tendency to stick to themselves with the slightest bit of provacation. The decal instructions are sparse and, in some cases, flat out wrong. Unfortunately, I didn't catch one of them until it was too late. Thankfully, it's on the bottom and you'd need to know German to see why it was wrong, anyway. And lastly, the decal for the Werk Nummer (equivalent to U.S. Bu. No.) was completely wrong. I had to mix and match from different sets to make the correct number.

But before we get to the pictures, let me tell you how I almost lost the entire build, today. I was finishing up and I noticed the rudder was bit loose. So, I had the glue out (Tammy thin), so I figured I'd add a dab and be done. Well, as I pulled the applicator out, it must have caught on the last thread, because it flipped the entire bottle, up and over. The bench was covered in glue. I was covered in glue. The glue on the table was quickly making it's way towards the plane (which was upside down because I was adding the RATOGs). Somehow, before I even realized it, I yanked the plane away, just in time. Surprisngly, with the amount of glue that went everywhere, none made it on the plane :thumbsup. Someone was looking out for me, today :angel.

So, without further ado, here she is;

Finished_1.jpg

Finished_2.jpg

Camera, gun bay and engine detail

Finished_3.jpg

Canopy support

Finished_4.jpg

Instrument panel

Finished_5.jpg

Port console and aerial mount

Finished_6.jpg

Seat
Finished_7.jpg

Nav / Formation lights - looks like lightbulbs, doesn't it ;)?

Finished_8.jpg

Finished_9.jpg

Bottom overall

Finished_10.jpg

Some wheelwell detail

Finished_11.jpg

Enjoy

-Fred

Great job !!
That's one of my fav birds, you were very lucky with the Tamiya glue ! I cant count how many times it happened to me... No Im very carefull.
A friend gave me a good advice : glue a square styrene plate under the bottle, this way it's stable :)

Thanks, Demon. The pit is probably where I spent the majority of my building time. There were some additions made to the pit after that pic was taken. It's hard to see, but in one of the finished pictures, you can see a glimpse of the O2 hose I made from wound solder.

-Fred

Very Nice work Fred.

Imagine what would have happened had they gotten this bird to fly 6 months earlier. Just finished reading "Rise and fall of the Luftwaffe" and they spent some time talking about the ME262 and how messed up the development was.

Matthew

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Matt.

I could only imagine things could have gone quite differently if Hitler had prioritized the Me-262's production and pushed it as more of a fighter than a bomber.

-Fred

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back