Ahsoka Tano - Revisting my Daughter's Costume

Did some clean up work on the molds last night as well as some trimming and sanding to smooth out the edges. That plasti-paste is sharp!

Very clean work on those molds. Very professional looking, especially considering you've never done this type of molding before. That's WAY cleaner than I was on my wookiee crap!

Finally got the mold all squared away last night. Cleaned up, filled, sanded and now it's nice and tightly secured with wing nuts. Depending on how tonight goes, I may pour my first piece to try it out.

12395_374427712558_698862558_5345156_541891_n.jpg

12395_374427717558_698862558_5345157_8270159_n.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry, a bit more teasing for ya:

I'll be pouring the 1st cast tonight and adding the white Silc Pig to the Dragon Skin so it's already cast in white.

The mold looks great, very clean. I've always wondered, what is the process for casting something hollow like this? I know with solid castings you just fill it to the top, but on stuff like this do you have to keep the mold turning over and over so it doesn't pile up?

It just depends on what you use. I used the Shell Shock that is pictured when I attempted my Ahsoka cast and I just painted it on. The problem with my mold is that I did it as a 2 part and it should have been a three part.
Ahsokamold.jpg

You pour the silicone inside and literally slosh it around watching the liquid ooze around inside. Its very time consuming and tedious and difficult to guage how much liquid is down inside the lekku. I pulled the mold open this morning and got to see the first casting. I definitely need to figure a few things out but I'll chalk this one up as a learning experience and partial success. Its far too thin (and there's holes) in some spots while other spots are too thick.

Anyway, here's some pics:

24858_377159402558_698862558_5351977_8372133_n.jpg

24858_377159407558_698862558_5351978_4406213_n.jpg

24858_377159422558_698862558_5351979_5472358_n.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm. I would almost suggest using a thickening agent suck as thivex and brushing it on. I might actually start doing what you already did for a first layer, then letting it set up a bit before doing the thicker brushed layer. You'll want to build up a good 1/8"-1/4" skin. You may also want to start thinking about your fillers as its easier to do them without causing warping while the piece is in the mold.

Chris, I bought some Thivex but didn't use it just because it was already pretty thick and oozy. Are you suggesting actually keeping the mold open, layering all surfaces with the thickened Thivex stuff and then closing it and sloshing around the regular stuff to fill in the seem areas?

I envision using polly fill to fill in the lekku but also some of their memory foam in the top of the head area. I'm still trying to wrap my head around how to do that without tons of difficulty.

Bob, what about the FlexFoam-It series? http://www.smooth-on.com/Rigid-and-Flexible/c10_1121/index.html

This looks similar to what Disney did.

That was always my first concept because of Disney's but the guys at Smooth On really tried steering me away from it for some reason. I think they felt it'd always have a pourous surface. The one's from Disney are a different kind of foam that is baked to cure. Its apparently different in that it dries with a smoother surface.

I do have the FlexFoam for inside though... should be interesting.

That was always my first concept because of Disney's but the guys at Smooth On really tried steering me away from it for some reason. I think they felt it'd always have a pourous surface. The one's from Disney are a different kind of foam that is baked to cure. Its apparently different in that it dries with a smoother surface.

I do have the FlexFoam for inside though... should be interesting.

There are some self skinning cold foams out there. If I hadn't have gone and lost my address book a few years ago, I could have given a number to you for a supplier, but there is a company called Polytek or Polytech out of California that does all sorts of foams and urethanes. I have used their self skinning foams with great results before.

Yeah I was gonna use all Dragonskin but it would be WAY too heavy. I agree some sort of foam is the best route.

IT FITS! This is just the first proto-type so to speak (full of holes and thin spots) but its basically proof of concept! Right now it's just stuffed with plastic bags to show what it will look like with the foam inside.

24858_378443877558_698862558_5354356_2868223_n.jpg

24858_378443887558_698862558_5354357_4730426_n.jpg

24858_378443892558_698862558_5354358_4842200_n.jpg

24858_378443912558_698862558_5354359_6991216_n.jpg

Once the inside has some stuffing to it, it can now support its own weight.

24858_378443922558_698862558_5354360_7210875_n.jpg

Chris, I bought some Thivex but didn't use it just because it was already pretty thick and oozy. Are you suggesting actually keeping the mold open, layering all surfaces with the thickened Thivex stuff and then closing it and sloshing around the regular stuff to fill in the seem areas?

I envision using polly fill to fill in the lekku but also some of their memory foam in the top of the head area. I'm still trying to wrap my head around how to do that without tons of difficulty.

I was actually thinking of starting out the same way you did before, but then going back in with a brush (if you can fit your arm in the opening) and thickening it up. Shouldn't be too difficult. Hard to get down in the tips of the tails, but if you keep it upright-ish, the excess will pool there anyway.

As far as the foam goes, I believe you need something to hold in the space that you want left open (i.e. the head and a cavity for hair to hide, etc.) or the foam will continue to expand.

Edit: We posted at the same time... haha!

Looks good. I think the silicone with some stuffing works just fine. Not a bad prototype by ANY means.

IT FITS! This is just the first proto-type so to speak (full of holes and thin spots) but its basically proof of concept! Right now it's just stuffed with plastic bags to show what it will look like with the foam inside.

From the looks of it, you've just got to refine technique and you'll have one heck of a headpiece for your daughter.

Nice work so far, can't wait to see it when you're finally done.

Kind of an unrelated question but I'm curious about one thing, has anyone ever thought of doing it cloth instead of casting it? I'm assuming that what Asohka is wearing is a headdress and and the tails aren't part of her head like on a Twilek.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back