Adam Savage's Mythbusters Toolbox

That looks amazing. Good luck with the project. Great pics of your tool box Adam, they should hopefully help to make it easier to construct.

the extended lift is 1.112 lengths, giving:

Units: altoid mint tins
length: 3.681 Altoid lengths (Al)
width: 2.066 Al

Units: rectangular section lengths
height, rectangular section: .336 lengths
height, rounded section: .444 lengths (excluding handles)
height, extended lift: 1.112 lengths (excluding wheels)

I just got a chance to look at Adams pics. The scissor lift I posted is way to big(I was thinking about my boxes which require a forklift to pick up)

The latch looks like it is the plate at the base. It has a ramp and lip to hold the sliding lower cross bar and you release it with the foot tab that sticks out. You can see them pretty clearly in the foreground box of the pic below, on the left side.
attachment.php

There is probably a spring to hold the lock in the up position. Lift the box up and the bar slides over the ramp, catching on the backside of the ramp as you relax your lift. When you want to lower it you lift the box and push the release down with your foot, then lower the box. Clever. :)

The second one would work if you added a bigger wheel base for stability. It would be interesting to see what kind of torque was needed to raise it. I would use a 1/2" swivel welded to 3/8" hexagonal stock(to fit a drill) or use a 1/2" impact if air was handy. It would be a better setup if the tool set was heavy, but Adams is more elegant solution as long as the weight is not to high.

WANT!!!!

dammit adam, you make the coolest stuff!

what's it say on the sides? any info on the old leather ones, I really dig those.

I'd love to see a behind the scenes show on the toolboxes alone! that youtube/popmechx behind the scenes was cool, just listening to Jamie talk about his workbenches and whiteboard doors was inspiring.

man...I know what I want to do my garage/workshop theme in now. MYTHBUSTERS!!

I believe the old leather ones were the originals. In the old thread about the toolboxes, he said after the leather ones fell apart one day, he stayed up all night making the aluminum ones by hand and showed up for work the next day with them.

Unit conversion:

Altoids Standard Tin:
3 13/16" (9.68 cm) long
2 7/16" (6.19 cm) wide
3/4" (1.91 cm) deep
---------------------------

body length: 14" (14.0334)
body width: 8" (7.877)

body height, rectangular section: 4.7"
body height, rounded section: 6.2" (excluding handles)
height, extended lift: 15.6" (excluding wheels)

I believe the old leather ones were the originals. In the old thread about the toolboxes, he said after the leather ones fell apart one day, he stayed up all night making the aluminum ones by hand and showed up for work the next day with them.

yeah, I got that...I'm saying I like the leather ones and would like to know what they were. medical bags? old tool bags?

I would love to get my workbench and tools into that kinda of accessibility and organization.

looking forward to seeing some scratchbuilds on this...very cool project. Maybe if a template for the sheetmetal and brackets could be made I'd take a stab at it.

yeah, I got that...I'm saying I like the leather ones and would like to know what they were. medical bags? old tool bags?

I would love to get my workbench and tools into that kinda of accessibility and organization.

looking forward to seeing some scratchbuilds on this...very cool project. Maybe if a template for the sheetmetal and brackets could be made I'd take a stab at it.

If you want to use one for your tools, you should really do your own template. Lay out your tools to get a footprint and work from that. Other wise you could end up with a really cool box that is to short and not long enough to fit your stuff in

If you want to use one for your tools, you should really do your own template. Lay out your tools to get a footprint and work from that. Other wise you could end up with a really cool box that is to short and not long enough to fit your stuff in

I had that same problem with a codpiece I made from plans on the internet. Uncomfortable . . .

Have you looked at modifying a small motorcycle jack?

There are many scissor models (usually red painted ones) that are around that size, yet will still lift upwards of 230kg - I know, coz they lift my bike with ease.

Some even come with castor wheels that you can raise/drop, to wheel around or hold still as you require.

I like the leather ones and would like to know what they were. medical bags? old tool bags?

Yes, they are old Dr style leather bags. I've looked on ebay for old/vintage similar ones of the same/similar style seem to go in the 250-300ish range last I looked. You can get new Graham-Field leather Dr bags w/2 lid compartments in the 400-450ish range.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back