Adam Savage's Mythbusters Toolbox

When my father gets back from Texas for the winter (he's a retired HVAC/R and sheetmetal worker who owned his own business), I'm going to work on one (or more) of these with him.

Need a shot of the outside to ID it unless Adam chimes in, but it looks to be military case of some sort. By the tab layout, something in the 1500-1600 Pelican line possibly, but it could be an older military case.

I found Adam's "Savage Toolbox" on his website the other day, and then this thread through google. I've read the thread about 10 times now. The Savage Toolbox is sweet! I have no garage or traditional workshop at home, so my tool storage must be compact & mobile, same as Adam.

It looks like I'm not the only person wowed by the Savage Toolbox, but it seems like most people here don't have the tools or access to materials to actually get one built. I do. I even have a few ideas for making it an easier stronger build.

After I get my boxes built and work out the kinks in the process, I could help you all build your own Savage Toolboxes built by cutting and forming the aluminum sheet (the hard part), so all you have to do is rivet the panels together and add the hardware you want.

Any takers?
-Dan

After I get my boxes built and work out the kinks in the process, I could help you all build your own Savage Toolboxes built by cutting and forming the aluminum sheet (the hard part), so all you have to do is rivet the panels together and add the hardware you want.

Any takers?
-Dan

I'd definitely be interested. Build one up and lets see what you come up with!

Alright guys, I had some time to work on the base of the toolbox in Solidworks today.

Instead of making the vertices of the toolbox from aluminum angle, and then riveting an individual panel on to form each side, I'm forming this all from sheetmetal with a brake. The advantage is that there are less panels to cut, no aluminum angle stock to cut, and it significantly reduces the number of rivets that have to be set. It also means the entire thing could be laser cut for ultimate accuracy and awesomeness.

I'm planning to build this in .090" thick 5052-H32 aluminum, which will make this thing even more indestructible than the .040" thick original.

I found Adam's "Savage Toolbox" on his website the other day, and then this thread through google. I've read the thread about 10 times now. The Savage Toolbox is sweet! I have no garage or traditional workshop at home, so my tool storage must be compact & mobile, same as Adam.

It looks like I'm not the only person wowed by the Savage Toolbox, but it seems like most people here don't have the tools or access to materials to actually get one built. I do. I even have a few ideas for making it an easier stronger build.

Any takers?
-Dan

Hello everyone! just joined because of this thread about these cool toolboxes. I too have started on one of my own. There really is no toolbox like it out there, all of the ones I have looked at are all plastic, small and flimsy and do not allow tools to stand vertically. Additionally, the same toolbox of this type would cost a lot more than if i were to just make it myself. below are some pics of it along with my recent halloween costume project, :)

The one i am working on is large enough to hold my 3 drills with chargers and most of my hand tools. It measures 14w 24L 14H inches. I am using some 7075(overkill) T-6 alclad sheet .063 thick. plasma cut into panels and riveted onto a 1/2 inch square tube frame I welded up. The upper portion of the box will be the same dimensions as the bottom and will be square instead of Adam's curves. The only reason for this is to allow room for my battery chargers to be fastened to the lids. So far it is very ridgid, enough that I can jump up and down on it.

more updates to come

the latches on the side of teh boxes are called butterfly latches. if you can get hold of an old flight case you can stripp them off that. else a google search yields many results.

working on auto cad plans atm, and will upload tech drawings once i finish

i needed a new tool box and now i have just found it

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back