Adam Savage's Mythbusters Toolbox

That's exactly correct. When I lift the toolbox the scissor drops down and locks, and then when I want to unlock, it's placed just so that I slip my hand under that side and kick the lock up and drop the box.

As for locking the scissors closed, it's true that I tried velcro, and I also tried a small tongue lock, and never got around to designing something that worked 100%.

Great pics Adam, So the teflon latching mech is just lifted by hand at one end of the toolbox to allow it to collapse?

Thank you Adam for posting these pictures, Sorry if we are causing you trouble by having you emptying your toolbox:) :thumbsup
Contec, did you pick the ratios from the pictures like I did? How did you arrive at the numbers? Visually, the mock-ups look quite close.

I pretty much eyeballed it. I first checked where i could buy aluminum plates and how big they were.(15 3/4" x 10)

I used my largest tool which is my electric screwdriver and testfitted on a mock bottom plate. I figured that Adams electric screwdriver ,that can be seen in one of the photos is about the same size as mine. I build the toolbox around it so that it would fit + have room for extra tools. It looks like i got the measurment pretty close :)

Contec could you transfer your A,B,C,D,E measurements to your mock up photo please?

A 7 2/4"
B 4,3/4"
C 4, 3/4"
D width 9, 2/4"
E length 15, 3/4"

Hey Adam... these side latches look to be salvaged from a military surplus equipment case, yes? Those plastic/fiberglass cases with the metal rims?

attachment.php

Sourced some frame-hanging braided wire and some electric terminals for the mechanism that holds the box open.

Starting to look at materials for the scissor lift... I am wondering how to make the rectangular slots the movement bolts at the ends of the double scissor slide in, at the bottom of the cart and right under the box. How to make them without a Bridgeport, that is... suggestions?

-F

Sorry for the delay. Here are some pix.

For the record: the scissor struts are 1" square alum tube, with 1/8" wall, cut into c-channel on a table saw. The first version (which I have somewhere) was made with ****ty soft hardware store c-channel and it collapsed under it's own weight almost immediately. This application calls for some 6061 or comparable aluminum.

The locking mechanism is simply a large UHMW catch, on an aluminum tongue, that catches the top moving strut from the scissor.

You should be able to parse all the measurements from these photos. Please post links of your toolboxes. I love this.

The links between the struts are (IIRC) 10-32 all thread, with K&S brass spacers and nylock nuts as keepers on the outside. It worked great.

Now that's a good post!

They are butterfly latches from theatrical road boxes. Also found on military cases.

SLOTS:
I made the slots with a drill and a jigsaw. Took about 10 minutes a slot (never underestimate how effective this technique is)
Drew the slot on the aluminum face.
Drilled a hole nearly the width of the slot at either end.
Jigsaw cut between the two holes, staying between the drawn lines.
Got out a nice flat file and filed to the lines.
Quick, efficient, takes a LOT LESS energy than you think. I promise or your money back.
For extra precision, use markup fluid and a scribe. Markup fluid comes in spray cans now. Easy peasy.

Adam, ive been looking at this to make a lift for my trooper armor container (there are far too many events where there are no tables to set the totes on) and im wondering if you could save me a bit of time by describing the math you used to figure out slot length, cross arm length, et all.

I used to be able to be able to calculate this sort of thing, but Im a dental student now and i can only add and subtract to 32.

Adam, ive been looking at this to make a lift for my trooper armor container (there are far too many events where there are no tables to set the totes on) and im wondering if you could save me a bit of time by describing the math you used to figure out slot length, cross arm length, et all.

I used to be able to be able to calculate this sort of thing, but Im a dental student now and i can only add and subtract to 32.

No math. Mock up the scissor lift on one side with cardboard. Simply cut some cardboard rectangles close to the size of your struts. Link 'em with pushpins. Stretch them out as high as you need and make your marks.
Slot needs only to be parallel. It's a forgiving structure. As long as your aluminum is up to the task.

10 minutes.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back