tommy gun measurements

Deck star

hi all, I need to make a few Tommy guns and have seen the bfx vid. I've found a bunch of pics but am having a hard time finding drawings with accurate measurements. I am keen to throw together something 'good enough' for now but with the ability to upgrade parts in the future. I figure making things the right size to start with is the best way to go. So does anyone have pics showing all the sizes of the main parts? Or do you have an accurate replica that you can run a ruler over for me? any help would be very much appreciated. It's the 'Chicago typewriter' that I need, with the drum barrel. capesh?

Cool plans, but those are for the M1A1 Thompson (I know, because I own one :cool)...the receiver shape, bolt location, stocks, etc. are different than the 1928 version (the "Chicago Typewriter")....

DS..I have a full-scale replica of a '21 at home...tell me what you need, and I can measure it tonight...:cool
Rob

Didn't know how much info he had and the plans you posted weren't for the whole gun. I posted the link, sometimes it's easier to doctor existing plans, especially with cosmetic changes, to achieve the end look.

Didn't know how much info he had and the plans you posted weren't for the whole gun. I posted the link, sometimes it's easier to doctor existing plans, especially with cosmetic changes, to achieve the end look.

Hey, bro...I'm not trying to be a smart-ass or be hatin'...just trying to be clear....:cool
Rob

this is great thanks guys, I've definitely got something to get me started. I'll post some pics soon and ask for feedback. I knew someone here would have one. :)

ok then let me show you what I've come up with so far,
l_b7d6a29028a04bb1983b9e6da1fc6f16.jpg

I started with the 5 film cans and based the rest around them.
I went with cutting the handles from ply and adding more ply for the body.
l_687f74cb9f204cddb3a76ff10abc82c7.jpg

the barrel is made from aluminum pipes glued into each other.
l_b366589458664417ab32271cb8ebdee9.jpg

for the "cutts converter" I glued 3 sizes of pipe together and put a screw through from the top,
I've glued a piece made from a bent corner of square aluminum over the screw head and filled it with bondo. then ground the front round.
l_fc856ee0fec948b69ae011d2a29f21fe.jpg

the "sight" is even simpler, just a section of square ali with a few cuts and bent with pliers.
l_84e5e512d071447c8a5ea3a5cc5bb7fb.jpg

like I said, just need to be 'good enough' Next I will paint them.

DS...those are freakin' awesome!

Much better than the two I made out of 1" x 8" yellow pine boards, back in '01, for part of Halloween costumes for my 2 sons...

S6305186.jpg

S6305185.jpg

Rob

I had built four Thompsons out of wood with some cardboard for the sights and winding key last spring. I got the bolt to work and release with the trigger pull for a convincing CLACK when the wooden bolt collided with the frame. I used actual working plans from the following site to create my drawings for my project.

http://www.nfatoys.com/tsmg/

And here are a few photos of us parading around with our Choppers last summer at Convergence in Minneapolis.

http://www.freemars.org/mnfan/Convergence/2009/2009-07-04-193.jpg
http://www.freemars.org/mnfan/Convergence/2009/2009-07-04-231.jpg
http://www.freemars.org/mnfan/Convergence/2009/2009-07-04-339.jpg
http://www.freemars.org/mnfan/Convergence/2009/2009-07-04-338.jpg

I'm the fellow flanked by the Molls in the white hat. And yes, the last photo is our Star Trek Briefing Room party room at the Con.

Last edited:
Pretty great. I'd like my own replica because I'm very interested with the 1920s and 30s. Not sure if the one I am holding in this picture is an antique or a replica, but it sure has some weight to it.

n717925229_1139089_7909.jpg

(I've worked as a tour guide for the past three summers; this tour is about prohibition and Al Capone's ties with my little hometown of Moose Jaw)

It looks real enough (though rusty)....it appears to be a '28 model; if it weighs around 13 pounds, it's probably real, or a dummy/deactivated model....

A quality display gun built from a parts kit can run in upwards of 800 bucks; an electric airsoft version around 400 bucks, and a springer airsoft version for around 80 bucks....
Rob

Cool plans, but those are for the M1A1 Thompson (I know, because I own one :cool)...the receiver shape, bolt location, stocks, etc. are different than the 1928 version (the "Chicago Typewriter")....

DS..I have a full-scale replica of a '21 at home...tell me what you need, and I can measure it tonight...:cool
Rob
I need measurements on the tommy gun to make a wooden replica

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back