Book of Eli machete Finished

fuelish

Sr Member
Using Ghostsoldiers blueprints, This thread, I started on the machete.
I used 3/16 mild steel and cut it out with a saber saw then ground down to the lines with chop blade and angle grinder. It still needs some trimming and I will hand finish the blade and surface. I plan to leave the edge pretty flat, don't want to accidently chop off a foot.
Pattern:
2010_01_17Pictures003.jpg

Progress so far:
2010_01_17aPictures002.jpg

Big and heavy, two pounds, ten ounces.
2010_01_17aPictures003-1.jpg

In the next couple of days I should get it shaped like I want, make the scales and wrap the grip.

Last edited:
Re: Eli machete started

That looks very nice. Great job! Hopefully the movie ends up being as good as the previews. Do you think you might do an interest thread or anything like that for these?

bladefans-
Thanks, I have not seen the movie yet but the writer was on a gaming podcast I listen to and he really sounded excited about how it turned out.
I would consider making some if anybody wanted one but I would want to ask ghostsoldier if he is cool with it because I am using his plan.

Bowelrock-
Thanks, I may do a sheath(My wife and I just started leatherwork for clothing and bindery, but we could try a sheath) but I will probably hang it on the wall so the sheath would be more of a "can I do it?" project.

Fuelish....you make me proud, brother...THAT'S FREAKIN' SWEET! :thumbsup

By all means, you guys use the pattern and build-away...it was made for you folks to enjoy, and I'd love to see some more of these made! :cool

As a matter of fact, I'm gonna build myself one, too!
Rob

Thanks man. I hope I can finish it up this week. I really need to get to a theater and see this movie.

Everyone should see this movie!

Fuelish, you look crazy. :lol

With that machete in your hands you feel ready to do something. :)

I did not get loads done today.

I started cleaning up the blade. Looks like this now:

2010_01_20Pictures011.jpg

Pretty shiny but close up there is still a lot of texture to the steel:

2010_01_20Pictures014.jpg

I like it, good contrast between edge and blade, but I think it needs to be a more polished finish to how it appears in the premiere props photos(Those are screen used right?).

So I am going to need to get a sanding head for my angle grinder(Actually a second head, the one I have does not fit the grinder I have now) to remove the texture and then I will finish it with an orbital sander and hand polish.

And here are the scales and the cording I will use for the grip.

2010_01_20Pictures020.jpg

The scales are just rough cut and I need to dig thru the pile for some rod that will work for pinning them. The cording is from Tandy leather. It was the larget dia. they had and looks, maybe, a little small. I did a test wrap on some dowel and it does look nice.

Finished.

Here I have the scales installed. I epoxied them on as well as pinning them to the tang. (These are a little thick, slightly moe than 1/4", but the finished grip feels right

2010_01_24Pictures027.jpg

This is after using a rasp and sandpaper to shape the scales.

2010_01_24Pictures032.jpg

The grip wrap. This was using the 2mm leather cord from Tandy(Which looks like is not the right stuff). I did it in three steps. The first part pictured here.

2010_01_24Pictures035.jpg

Each end is bound but I also glued it using 3M adhesive. Then I did the "balls" at each end. The one that is the pommel was pretty tough. I really had to do a lot of lacing under(using a little screwdriver as a guide) to get the cord to stay in place. I am probably going to use some stain or paint to help bind it in place. It would be easier if the tang were made with a ball shape. Plan on using the entire roll of leather(I will probably add to ball end with the little I had left)

2010_01_24Pictures045.jpg

Another thing I should have done was stain the scales so any gaps did not show. The gaps really show in this flash shot

2010_01_24Pictures044.jpg

I also enlarged the center hole and polished the blade up.

2010_01_24Pictures047.jpg

And here it is.

2010_01_24Pictures046.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys, it was fun. I am going to do another one for our shops IT guy. He just wants the blade and is going to make a carbon fiber grip(sacrilege :) )

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back