How to get your JAWS "NEO TRACKER" Beacon flashing for under $3!!!

TylerHam

Hi All!

I decided to make this a new post because I thought the info might be useful to others.. As many of you may have seen in the the jaws thread, a bunch of us are making NEO TRACKERS. The props base is a vietnam era flashing beacon light.

The problem is these originally used mercury batteries. You can buy a conversion piece made out of brass, and use 2 "123" style batteries to get it working on batteries, but the brass piece is 20$, and 123 batteries are $10 each... Thats $40 total.. Too much for me, so I hacked the thing and got it flashing for $3...

First off, 2 "123" batteries produce 6 volts, so first, I bought a 12V duracel battery at the hardware store for $1.80. I came home, took it apart, and took out the 8 1.5v batteries inside...

step1.jpg

At the hardware store I also got a 3/4 inch nylon hole plug for 60 cents... I put a spring in there for an experiment which didnt work, so ignore that.. The nylon plug is the black thing...

Then I took 4 of the 1.5v batteries and taped them together positive / negative... I left the tape off the NEGATIVE end, since THAT is the end that goes INTO the flasher. Then I took some copper wire, stripped both ends, taped one end to the positive battery top, and left the other end exposed.

step2.jpg

After that, I wrapped my taped batteries with foam tape until they became the size of the battery compartment..

step3.jpg

I stuffed that into the flasher, and made sore the exposed wire end made contact with the brass threading at the end of the flasher.

step4.jpg

After that, I put the plug in and made sure it pinched the wire to the brass threads and turned it on, and it started flashing!!

Total, it was $1.80 for the battery, and 60 cents for the plug... so total was $2.40 (I had the wire and tape) instead of $40...

step5.jpg

Now, its not screen accurate yet, but the beauty is that you can now make the knob that is on the end of the one onscreen out of anything.. Balsa, a metal nut, etc.. paint it orange and glue it on.. Way cheaper than spending $20 on a brass one you still have to paint!!

I couldnt get a picture of it flashing (my camera is acting up so these are blackberry phone photos) but I assure you it works!

Anyhow, discovered this tonight while goofing around with electricity! Hope its helpful to some of you!

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back