The Book of Eli machete pattern - FREE

Ghostsoldier

Sr Member
ATTENTION: UPDATED to move V.2 patterns to the top....

Here ya go, folks....just giving back to the community any way I can! :thumbsup

Here's a free sheet of fan-made patterns I whipped up for the machete that Denzel uses in the movie The Book of Eli, based on some photo scans that were provided to me.

They are available in pdf format and Autocad dwg formats.

This is a Version 2.1 of the machete, based on the new pics rabbit uploaded. I am showing the cross-sectional dimensions on the second image, so those of you who want to hand-draft the profile can do so--just strike a baseline, a drop length below it, plot the blade widths, and connect the dots by hand, or with a French curve.

I decided, instead of complicating this with 2 versions ("combat" and "hero"), that I would combine them both in one drawing. The only major differences are in the blade thicknesses, handle thicknesses, and the overall length (the Prop site says it is approximately 26" long--mine is 27")...and these are things each individual can alter to their discretion and/or liking (I lengthened the blade by 1 inch primarily to allow a base for the leather wrapping to ride).

V21.jpg

V.2.1 PDF: Eli Machete - V.2.1 final Machete V.2.1 final.pdf

V.2.1 DWG: Eli Machete - V.2.1 final Machete V.2.1 final.dwg

Enjoy! :cool
Rob

UDATED to V.2.1 to show larger center hole, and to darken blade profile outline lineweight for ease in pattern cutting.

Last edited:
OK fellas...afetr seeing the movie last night (it was pretty freakin' sweet), and watching the machete scenes closely, I could tell that they used several different prop knives at different times (depending on what the scene called for)....typical for Hollywood, but folks like us, who look for these things, can't be fooled! :cool

HANDLE: One of them had the thicker, rounder handle like I show in my pattern (used in the hero shots, carrying, etc), and the other had a flatter handle, with thinner scales (used for the combat scenes).

BLADE: The blade shape was consistent, except the width varied from thin (like I have on my pattern) for the combat scenes, to relatively thick (almost like a meat cleaver) for the hero shots. Also, it looks to have a V-ground (flat), instead of hollow ground, edge.

All this being said, I will be revising the pattern to a version 2 that will compensate for those changes, and relabel the existing V.1 to "Hero version" and the new V.2 to "Combat version". I'll post it up here, as soon as it's done.

These patterns are subject to accuracy modifications in the future, as more and more data becomes available. :cool
Rob

Wow...thanks for those pics, rabbit....that lends a whole new aspect to my pattern design! :thumbsup I can tell by the variations of all those blades, that some are for practice, stunts, etc...some even have a serrated back!

To me, though, the "hero" or close-up versions are definitely the best to look at (the first 2 designs in the first 15 pics), so I'll be using these new images to modify my pattern to be as close to screen accuracy as possible!

Also...now, I'll have to whip out a scabbard, too!

Thanks again!
Rob

Could you provide some widths along the length of the blade?
I think I have some 1/8 steel in the shop and it is supposed to rain tomorrow. I think I could get it cranked( maybe minus grip) by the end of the day.

Edit: You have a 1/8 min. thickness. How close is that? I don't have any 1/8 flat stock(just 1/4) but I do have some 1/8 angle that could become flat with some heat, an anvil, and a BFH. I would just use the 1/4 if the width is enough (to lay out the piece) It would make for a brutal looking blade. My PDFs is not cooperating, so I am just guessing on the width from the pic in the post. It looks like a 2" piece would be wide enough (tho I might need to tweak the tang a little)

Last edited:
I'll get 'em those dialed-in dimensions up first thing tomorrow, fuelish...but, I can tell you at this moment, that the belly of the blade is 2-3/4" wide at the holes.

And, looking at the new pics, it appears that the blade might be around 3/16" thick, even 1/4" in places (i.e., look at the blade holes). As far as the scales go, it appears that they are really thin (around 1/4" thick), if they have any at all (meaning: the pics of the handles look almost as if it's pure leather roping, with no scales on the haft).
Rob

Last edited:
Thanks for the prints, this is what I have so far:
The pattern(any errors are mine :) )
2010_01_17Pictures003.jpg

And the piece rough cut(Done with a saber saw, chop saw and grinder. I need a plasma cutter)
2010_01_17Pictures005.jpg

My personal Thanks to Ghostsoldier for the generous share. Grateful to find this site. I will also attempt a replica, and post some pix, unless my efforts are just too embarrassing. Hope to share more in the future, Best to you all.

Guys, I think this is a found item. I do believe it it a spec ops tool. As soon as I get home from work I will look into it.

Dean

OH !!!! FLICK WAS FANTASTIC!!!!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back