Very New at This Stuff

kdawg1

Sr Member
OK, here I go............. what size makes a build "Studio Scale" how do we know what the studio build size is? I love these builds and would like to give it a shot but I have no clue where to begin. Are there any books out there that could help? Thanks for the time:thumbsup

Hello, studio scale is not an established size nor scale, it just means it's the same size as the model used in a movie/commercial etc and that it has the same details. A studio size model is a model which is the same size than the original but the details are not the same. But it appears that some scale are standard like 1/24, 1/48, 1/6, 1/8 etc...

Its not a specific size or scale. It is a model that is built to the same size (and methods) as the studio models.

It doesn't mean "bigger". Look in the General Modeling Forum for the 1/12 scale Viper. TWICE the size as the true studio scale.

It doesn't mean BIG. The M. Falcon that was stuck on the back of the 8' Star Destroyer model was just a couple of inches, but is technically studio scale...

Making sense?

A studio size model is a model which is the same size than the original but the details are not the same.

To Tox's point, method/approach to building is intrinsic to teh definition.

A studio scale Death Star is being built by some knucklehead around here. it is 36" in diameter, just like the real deal.

A 36" death star costume or a beach ball, covered in paper mache' and painted in two-tone grey is not a studio scale model.

Last edited:
Are there any books out there that could help? Thanks for the time:thumbsup
Welcome to Studio Scale!

Yes, the Studio Scale TIE Bomber was about the same size as the MPC Darth Vader Model Kit!

There's tons of books, but since you posted in the Star Wars SS section I could recommend . . .

Star Wars: Sculpting a Galaxy - Lorne Petersen (2006)
The Making of Star Wars (based on Charles Lippincott's material)
Star Wars Chronicles
From Star Wars to Indiana Jones - the Best of the Lucasfilm Archives
The Star Wars Album
Famous Spaceships of Fact and Fantasy (1978) and other Kalmbach Books

These all have many pictures of the Studio Models used.

Also, while not a book, the Bonus "Making Of" Featurette in the SW Trilogy DVD Set has many great shots.

Planning on building anything in particular?

Last edited:
Thanks for the info! I'm in to detail no beach ball here, and who is the nut building the death star :lol I've seen your work and humor! As for what ship to build not sure there are some really cool ships out there will have to look and research more and see whats out there. I just love to build stuff and the work you guys do just blows my mind. I did build a 1:1 scale Lost in Space robot so I guess there's one down! Money and space is my big enemy right now so we'll what happens. Thank you all for your help in this post.

Thanks for the info! I'm in to detail no beach ball here, and who is the nut building the death star :lol I've seen your work and humor! As for what ship to build not sure there are some really cool ships out there will have to look and research more and see whats out there. I just love to build stuff and the work you guys do just blows my mind. I did build a 1:1 scale Lost in Space robot so I guess there's one down! Money and space is my big enemy right now so we'll what happens. Thank you all for your help in this post.

These guys are the best in the biz when it comes to scale modeling. I've been watching and learning along the way too. They have dedication to the craft and will help you out with anything you need.
I enjoy SS too , and have slowing started to get into it as well. I'm enjoy the craft of animation so SS in animation is any scale really..lol
Good luck with whatever you do. The best things I've seen around here have been the things people do and not just buy and paint.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back