Todd's 10 Foot Indy Whip, My Review

thegreatgalling

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I received my Todd's 10 foot whip and wanted to post a little pictorial review. I have to say appearance wise, I couldn't be happier. For the money I think it looks very nice, and dare I say very SA. I must say that Todd has been awesome. His stuff really is top notch at basement price and he is a hero for offering these items to the Indy community. His customer service is also excellent. With this whip, remember that Todd has claimed it is a costume whip, best at the hip, but will also crack. So with that in mind, here is my review. I first did this breakdown for a friend here and have since revised it a bit.

Appearance wise, with regard to the pleat count, the size, shape of the knott, etc., the thing is dead on to me. I was really impressed with that aspect.

With the color, I know from Indygear, in the main whip thread, that the colors REALLY varied not only from film to film, but also within each film. That was because some of the stunt men had there own whips that were used until the snot was beaten out of them. Other whips were newer and made to look old. To my eyes, the whip is def. a tad light when compared to the two later movies, but I mean a smidgen. It is ALMOST identical to the scene in Raiders though when Indy says "Stay out of the light." That is the lightest I have seen the whip, and in my mind, this is a replica of THAT whip. By the time Crystal skull came around, Indy's whip is a burgandy-mohagany color. I am happier with a "Raider's" whip.

Now for the practicality. I also own a Mexican made 6 pleated whip I bought on eBay a bunch of years ago before I realized an accurate Indy whip was possible. It was $40 or so and looked nothing like the Indy whip, but I do have it to compare. With that whip, when you hold up the handle, the whip falls close to the hand. With Todd's whip, it remains a bit stiff. Hard to explain, but when you hold the handle and let the whip rest, you will DEFINITELY feel that the whip wants to stay vertically. And when you tilt it, you will notice it stays in the shape of its coil. I hope you understand what I mean. It is long enough to extend, but you will feel to whip it, you cannot fight against its coil.

Secondly, not sure if it is my inexperience, but I whipped myself at least 4 times. And it HURT. I usually only do an over the hand crack where you literally whip your hand up and down until it makes the noise. It performed very well with that crack (aside from the few times I ate the end of the whip). I have never tried an over the hand crack, but it does spin and make a cool swishing noise when you spin it around your head.

Bottom line? I would get it over again if I could. I got the deluxe larger one and I am glad I did. To me the longer whips just look more accurate. It was bone chilling to pull it out of the package. Todd coils them perfectly and even ties them with a bit of leather. It quite literally LOOKS Indy right out of the box. It makes me actually regret uncoiling it, because the way it comes is incredibly accurate. I wish I took a pic of it to always wrap it back up the same way it arrived.

So in sum:

Appearance: 9.5/10
Color: 8.5/10 (a smidgen light, perfect beginning of Raider's whip)
Functionality: 8.5/10 (keep in mind I am inexperienced)

IMG_0144.jpg

IMG_0134-1.jpg

IMG_0137-1.jpg

IMG_0146.jpg

IMG_0122-1.jpg

IMG_0140-1.jpg

IMG_0141-1.jpg

IMG_0147.jpg

IMG_0149-1.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Todd's 10 inch Indy Whip, My Review

I'm curious why the title says, "10 inch Indy whip". I just figured you were REALLY short! :lol

Secondly, not sure if it is my inexperience, but I whipped myself at least 4 times. And it HURT.

Thats how you learn Bro!

Oh about 4 or 5 times in the last few years people over at my house see one Of My Morgans and just HAVE to take out back to try it, because, "How hard can it be?"

:lol Some experiances are very painful needless to say! :lol

When I was first learning, I sliced myself right under my eye. Wore safety goggles until I got it down from then on. Now I can snap a stick in half when I go at it. Sliced the heck out of the vinyl tarp on our firewood learning to crack them. Amazing how much power is in a crack of a whip.

If you practice indoors, be prepared to clean the marks off the ceiling. :lol

Awesome review!
And the pictures you took are fantastic - they really show a lot of detail and that's what I'm all about. I always hate to see pictures that are taken too far away, are blurry or otherwise non-revealing as to the products details. You seem to have nailed it quite well!
Pick up some of the Pecards leather conditioning (or is it picards? Whatever it's called....make it so:lol)
I have read that the conditioning will take the dryness out of the leather and add more flexibility.
I also hear that Todd is waiting for his current stock of 10ft whips to run out until he upgrades them to the fully crackable all-leather versions like his 8ft versions are.
You are right - for the money and for what they are intended for (costuming) Todds whips look to be THE choice for Indy gearheads looking for a whip and not wanting to break the bank.
Well done! Now lets see some Youtube action (don't forget to include some Raiders music)
-Jimmy

Pecards...

BE CAREFUL when using the whip. Trust me, they can be EXTREMELY dangerous. A friend of mine was cracking my whip and gave himself a lovely gash on the neck. I've done the same to the back of my legs many times. Comes with the territory of learning how to use it.

I got my first Indy whip when I was 10 years old. It was a six foot dark brown long handled Australian whip. I didn't get myself too much with that one, but when I stepped up to a 10 footer at age 13 I used to constantly hit myself in the back of the neck or the leg. It took about fifteen years to get good enough at it that I don't hit myself.

But then, practicing with my Terry Jacka 8' CS bullwhip last week I got myself on the back of the neck really good! It's been about five years since I drew blood on myself, but if you're not paying attention to your form, the whip will bite you.

I've had the chance to check out Todd's whip, too. It's a very nice option for those that need a good looking Indy whip to complete the costume and don't want to spend the $500 it takes for a Strain or a Jacka. I would refrain from trying to hang or swing with the Todd's whip though.

If you really get into the art of the whip, you should step up to a thicker and longer handled whip like the Jacka to really get the movement and targeting down. The Todd's whip is too limp from the handle and doesn't have enough of a belly to help throw the whip out and away. Just make sure to keep your hand pointing away from your body when practicing and that should help with the whip bites.

:wacko

W.E.

Been using a whip for a while. I learned the most by watching Adam Winrich on youtube on my cellphone. I watch a few times, then give it a try.

Bonded Hawk

ps Wear safety glasses. I'm glad I was.

I keep getting the third degree from COW members about why NOT to buy one of Todds whips. Most members there seem to have the hundreds of dollars to drop on a high-end whip. That's nice, but really, if it's going to be used for display 99% of the time, then there really is no financial NEED to buy a $700 whip.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back