My first thought was a simple "L" shaped piece of track that would drop the car and let the train continue. You could make the track section out of non-conductive material, and simply put jumpers from the "live" sections.

I also thought about having a string of orange leds light up in sequence to simulate the fire trails.

You guys are going to be responsible if my wife divorces me over this.

Hey, what can I say? I tell my spouse "I could be spending my money/time on booze, cigars and strippers instead of props and costumes."

Her reply? "Why can't you just want a sports cars like other guys your age?" :lol

Guess I'll need to get a '63 Corvette split-window coupe...

That's really awesome! I love the latest video with the Delorean. Very well done!
I just asked my wife what she thought about my putting a train along the ceiling in my son's room. She wasn't thrilled about it.
We'll see what he says after school!:love

Your video is slowly starting to go viral. I've seen a few random people who have nothing to do with the RPF post the video on Facebook.

So last night, it said 304 views. This morning it said 1,625. It evidently got picked up by neatorama.com this morning. The fascinating thing about this is the comments and messages I'm getting, as well as the responses on neatorama. I did this video with an iphone and some free particle effects software in a couple of hours as a silly project to post here and for my son, who thought it was awesome. The reaction here is about what I expected; a quick giggle or a smile on your face, or maybe a couple of minutes where you felt like a kid again. But it's so fascinating to me that once something like this leaves the inner circle and goes out into the general public, how differently its perceived.
Yeah I've received a few "this is so cool" comments, but I'm also getting lots of really bizarre responses like, "I thought watching paint dry was the most boring hobby" or "you reused the shot at 1:45 from the shot at 1:30". Even some people who created a youtube account just to send me a private message about how they didn't like it and could have done a better job."
What is it with people that they feel the need to do this? It's amusing and disheartening at the same time. I've seen countless videos on the web that weren't my cup of tea, and I just say, "meh" to myself and go on to something else. I've never once thought that I needed to register a new account for the sole purpose of telling the person that I didn't like it. People are fascinating.

They're either trols, trying to get a rise out of you to make themselves feel like the big man they're not, or they're just unimaginative idiots (or both). One thing I've learned is to NEVER read public comments. They just make me weep for humanity. Stick with the feedback on the boards where people care, like here.

Also, congrats on the official viral status. :)

TT - maybe disable comments on the video. The Unwashed Masses aren't worth the time it takes to read unsolicited comments.

Another reason I dislike YouTube. If/when I post any videos for the RPF gang, it will be on my own website.

I just watched again. I'm smiling again. :)

I got a strange reply from someone named Neil, saying "well done dude, I'm sure my Dad would be proud." That sounds to me like he's the son of someone involved with the film.
I know John DeLorean had a daughter and an adopted son named Zachary, so it can't be him. This guy is from NJ and I know Alan Silvestri is from NJ and has 3 kids, but I can't find any names. Any ideas? His youtube name is negativesmooth.

Okay guys, I need your help.
I haven't worked on the train for a LOOOONG time, but I got the bug to make a little progress on it this weekend. I'm really wanting to utilize the switch I put in but never did anything with. I would like to have the train come off the wall and do a circle around the center of my office. This means I need to come up with some type of bracket to suspend the track.
The issue here is it cannot swing or move as it would cause the train to fall. I also don't want anything too obtrusive. No massive pipes or brackets. I also want it to somewhat match the somewhat industrial/stainless steel look that I'm going for. I need help coming up with ideas on how to suspend the track.
I thought about using threaded rod and some kind of screw-in plate. I thought about using cable or chain if I could keep it from swinging.
The trouble is, there just isn't anything made especially for this and I'm really having a hard time kit bashing something so I thought I'd pick your brains.

I want it to match this look so no wood or anything like that.
3D4C8F4C-B622-4E08-BA72-0475BFEEF615-12697-000009430AD60F04_zps6f8dc1b8.jpg

28F26166-DB74-43B3-A70E-56C86F695CA2-12697-000009431102F422_zps3df29adc.jpg

And this is what I want the track to do.
1E70CC9E-2BBC-4873-A942-D3A9409D796C-12697-00000943658A25E3_zpsb2443a70-1_zpsb328c1ed.jpg

Whatever I come up with, I'll need to space the brackets one for every section of the track so that there's no pressure on the joints, OR I'll need to somehow make a curved support path to lay the track on. Then I could be a little more sparing with the supports. But I'd really rather have the exposed track if possible.
Any ideas?

Steel cable hung in a "V" might keep it from swinging. I don't know what the spacing of where the cables attach to the ceiling should be, but a little experimenting ought to reveal the sweet spot.

Steel cable hung in a "V" might keep it from swinging. I don't know what the spacing of where the cables attach to the ceiling should be, but a little experimenting ought to reveal the sweet spot.

I thought about that. if it's in a "V" it won't swing side to side, but it would still swing back and forth. However, with the curve, and many pieces all hung in different directions, it may be pretty stable.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back