Re: My son's wall mounted ceiling train: Updated 09/05/2011

Excellent! What a cool dad you are! (May your son never do a Pugsley on this!) :lol

There's a local pub that used to have a train that ran around the top of the wall. Unfortunately, the train stopped running (due to possible lawsuits, I'm afraid :( )

Excellent! What a cool dad you are! (May your son never do a Pugsley on this!) :lol

There's a local pub that used to have a train that ran around the top of the wall. Unfortunately, the train stopped running (due to possible lawsuits, I'm afraid :( )

drunk yokels throwing stuff at a moving train? understandable.

I originally wanted it to go throughout the whole house. I love trains. My wife said no. Probably for the best.

There's a new pediatric dentists' office in Lindon, Utah that has a train theme. They have a model train run through every room in the place, from the waiting room to each examination room and even through the dentists' offices.. (we had a grand opening tour of the place).

It was very cool to have my little boy laying there for his very first dental checkup and completely unafraid, watching for the train to go by overhead! :)

They also put vintage train posters up on the walls for ambiance, it was very neat.

I've been trying to figure out the best way to suspend track from the ceiling so I can run it around the middle of the office and away from the wall as pictured in my diagram above. But, I want to keep the same look and feel to what I've already done, which is brushed metal, bare track, black metal supports, etc. I could go the wood route and make several truss type supports the way www.ceilingtrainkit.com does, but it doesn't really match with the rest of the brackets and supports, which is more a steel tubing/scaffolding look.
I also thought it would be cool to suspend it with cables but that would sway. It needs to be rigidly secured.

The best I can think of is some kind of elongated "C" bracket that I could mount the top arm of the C to the ceiling and the bottom arm to the track. The trouble is, I can't find what I'm looking for. I guess I could take some metal stripping and make them myself, but I want it to look nice.
Anyone have any ideas about what I could use? I did find one video of a guy who did something similar but he hasn't responded to my inquiries. You can see it here.
anonymixx's Channel - YouTube

Last edited:
Re: My son's wall mounted ceiling train: Need your Help! See Post #44

I got rid of the curved trestle. Just didn't like it. I replaced it with some cool silver wall mounts. I also put some yard lights in the corners, and I got a new USB video camera to mount on the train. Kinda cool. It's about the size of a pack of gum.
Ceiling Train - New Train Cam - YouTube

Re: My son's wall mounted ceiling train: Now with Train Cam! 09/24/11

Thanks! I also wondered if there was ever a toy DeLorean time machine that was close enough in scale that I could re-fit with O Scale train car wheels. Anybody know an expert on the different BTTF DeLorean toys?

Thanks! I also wondered if there was ever a toy DeLorean time machine that was close enough in scale that I could re-fit with O Scale train car wheels. Anybody know an expert on the different BTTF DeLorean toys?

O is 1:48 right? Ebay search turned up a Minichamps BTTF Delorean in 1:43 that should be about perfect.

Just search for Minichamps Delorean. The cheapest ones are in the UK.

Trent,

Which USB camera did you get for mounting in the train?

Was it a flip?

This one.
scorpion-police-camera-icon.jpg

O is 1:48 right? Ebay search turned up a Minichamps BTTF Delorean in 1:43 that should be about perfect.

Just search for Minichamps Delorean. The cheapest ones are in the UK.

Awesome, Thanks!. Anybody have one of these that can confirm the width between inside of the wheel to inside of the other wheel?

Actually, I just found som measurements online and think it might work, so I just ordered a BTTF III version. Found one on Amazon for $29.00

Thanks to Sigma-LS for suggesting the perfectly scaled DeLorean!
This just came in the mail and I set it on a spare piece of track to see how well it would fit. Couldn't ask for better. I'm going to take it apart and replace the wheels with O Scale train wheels and it should be all set!

photo2-3.jpg

photo1-1.jpg

Seeing this DeLorean on your track just made me smile. Thanks for making my day. This is a very exciting build.

Okay, so this was the easiest side project ever.

First, I took it apart.
photo1-2.jpg

Then used a dremel to enlarge the space for the new wheels.
photo1-3.jpg

photo2-4.jpg

Then I put it back together!
photo2-5.jpg

And here you go!
photo3-2.jpg

photo4-2.jpg

photo5-1.jpg

The only thing is that since the body of the car is metal, I need to add a little more space between the wheels and the body so that there is no contact. Right now the car is making contact with the track somehow and causing it to get warm. That's not good.:lol As soon as I have time to work on it I'll post a video.

Oh my god, that is awsome. I tried to do something similar when I was 8, but it was a disaster and I resigned myself to the thought that it was impossible. Im very glad to have been proven wrong.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back