Re: My son's wall mounted model train

I built a little bridge facade today out of square dowels. Based loosely on a Pratt truss.

IMG_0411.jpg

Re: My son's wall mounted model train (more progress)

Seriously, Can anyone get me some screen caps of the Delorean model prop in BTTF 3? Has anyone ever tackled this prop? I really do want to put it on this train in front of the locomotive.

Re: My son's wall mounted model train: Updated video!

I started designing the tunnel portals, the corner truss-like supports, and a few extras. I'll post updates.

We're having a blast playing with it.

Made a few more updates recently. I made a tunnel entrance out of square dowels and a curved trestle going into the entrance, and then stained both. Also upgraded the train a bit to have chugging sounds, bells, radio dialogue, etc.

tunnel.jpg

train.jpg

A TUNNEL?!?!?! Epic Dad Win!

I hope it didn't hurt too much when your wife slapped you for cutting throug the walls. :lol

lol, I actually asked her first. she said, "can you patch it if we decide to move or take it down," I told her, "yep" she said, "go for it."
I saved the drywall pieces intact so it won't be too hard to patch up if I ever need to.

She did say I could only limit it to the two rooms though. So my idea of it going through the whole house aint gonna happen.

Very cool project in that it spans 3 generations (grandfather, you, your son).

A brick or stone portal treatment for the tunnel entrances would be cool. If you do it with simulated large stones or something, you may want to put dates on one each of the entrances as you often see on real RR tunnels. I believe they put the date of construction on the entrances. Perhaps you could use the birthdates of family members.

That's a great idea! I have only done the entrance that is in my office. I was going to do a different style for the one in his room and was thinking about a stone or brick facade.

Here's a video of the train sounds and trestle/tunnel entrance additions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RIDJaa0x4Q

Last edited:

Here's another update. I haven't done a whole lot on it lately. I replaced some of the ugly corner brackets with wireframe corner shelves that look a lot better. I doubled the length of the bridge in the office and relocated the controller to my desk instead of inside the closet and gave it a power switch so I didn't have to plug and unplug it every time. And most importantly, I added the beginnings of a track switch.
Currently, it just switches off to a parallel track and merges back. The long shelf it's sitting on is temporary, since eventually I'll have the track split off and go around the center of the room, hung from the ceiling in kind of a loop within a loop.
Something like this.

layout.jpg

The red is how the track is now and the green is what the switch will go to eventually.
Anyway, here's a quick video update.
Aric's Wall Mounted Ceiling Train Part 5 - Switch - YouTube

Re: My son's wall mounted ceiling train: Updated 09/05/2011

Hey, they make them for girls too!
Girl's Train Set - Lionel

And there's always Polar Express ,Wizard of OZ, or the Harry Potter Hogwarts Express. All you need is an excuse, and I just gave you 4. :lol

Re: My son's wall mounted ceiling train: Updated 09/05/2011

This is so very cool, man. I'm actually afraid to show it to my son, ha.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back