Polishing pewter, help.

Invicta

Sr Member
My wife bought me the Death's brooch from the Discworld Hogfather movie but it's quite dull and I was wondering if it could be polished up.

I killed my Dremel a few months back and haven't got a replacement yet. Is there a paste or compound I can hand polish pewter with?

deathbroochmain.gif

As always...Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
The best way is to use a brass bullet case tumbler. It will bring out a mirror finish. Most people who reload bullets will have one in their garage. A handy thing to have around if you find one on evilbay

you could try an alloy polish intended for automotive use i used to use stuff called autosol and it worked well on pewter tankards.

be careful if you don't know the exact metal. I melted a cast piece one time using a machine polisher. Polishing can generate a bit of heat :cool

While your waiting for your rock tumbler.......grab some Crest toothpaste and a cotton rag. Works well on my wings when i'm in a pinch and cant find Brasso.

If you don't have the stuff to polish it yourself, you can send it my way. I used to clean and polish pewter for a living. I'd be happy to shine it up for ya. I can do a general pewtery shine or give you a near mirror polish.

**Repeat post, as the first one disappeared**

Thanks for the replies and advice everyone.

To be honest I've decided to leave it as it came from the supplier. I e-mailed Bernard the guy who cast them about polishing and he said although it can be done he doesn't recommend it.

Cheers everyone :thumbsup

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back