Curing spraypaint

corranhornjje

Sr Member
So the paint I applied to a pair of shoes, Krylon Fusion, is still a little tacky in some areas where I may have sprayed it on a little thicker than in other areas which are not sticky. What is the best method for assisting the curing process? Would some time in a low heated oven work faster, or would a good fan blowing on it work best?

If the paint cures by evaporation then the fan would seem to work the best, otherwise if it's a chemical reaction, then the heat sounds the best. I can't do both at once. :)

Hopefully you didn't spray on vinyl...it may NEVER dry.

I made this mistake and as an emergency measure, covered the sticky areas with spray polyeurythane.

time and dry air and maybe a blow dryer if in a rush.

Hmmm. Shoe Dye - spray paint specific for use on leather and vinyl - would have been better. Go to the shoe repair shop or a cobbler. The stuff is called Meltonian Nu-Life Color Spray.

Krylon Fusion has a molecular fusing agent that reacts with polymers only. Read the can. Leather may never stop being tacky to the touch. You could get mineral spirits, and scrub it off...be careful not to damage the vinyl portion - if there are any - present on the shoe. What kind of shoe are you painting?

Hope that helps.

<div class='quotetop'>(BlindSquirrel @ Jun 1 2006, 03:06 AM) [snapback]1254087[/snapback]</div>
Hopefully you didn't spray on vinyl...it may NEVER dry.

I made this mistake and as an emergency measure, covered the sticky areas with spray polyeurythane.
[/b]

Been there, done that.. I swear the can says it works on vinyl. There must be a coating on some vinyl that reacts adversely to the Fusion. Nu-life shoe dye is what I'd reccommend on shoes, too.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back