Has George Lucas actually said....????

IndyFanChuck

Sr Member
Has anyone seen an interview, or anyone just ASKED George Lucas what the possibility of getting Episodes 7, 8, and 9 are? It seems like such an obvious question that I am shocked I've never seen it asked or answered.

This is NOT a "Bash George Lucas" thread. I am interested in anything that he has officially said about Episodes Seven, Eight, and Nine. Are there interviews or videos or anything he has said publicly about it? What's the official word? Does he ever do Question and Answer things?

Please don't turn this into a George Lucas Sucks thread. It's a simple topic and honestly, I'd love to see more Star Wars movies on the big screen.

Well... I don't have a direct quote for you... but I think it was just assumed that since we waited so long and the cast of the OT is... well... can you see Carrie Fisher now in a metal bikini?

Same here- no "definitive" quote, but just heard (maybe read in a newspaper?) that episodes 7,8,9 were always just a rumour- urban myth.

Kevin

I don't think George will ever do another live action Star Wars, maybe if he passes someone else will step up and do one, or remake them, but I doubt he has any interest in doing more. Would be cool though.

I don't think George will ever do another live action Star Wars, maybe if he passes someone else will step up and do one, or remake them, but I doubt he has any interest in doing more. Would be cool though.

Let's just hope that is the case and pray George will not decide to make a CGI sequel trilogy.

Because I seriously have my doubts about his judgment in anything Star Wars these days.

Apparently in 2004 he said. "Nope. and I've locked it up so no one else can. Besides, everybody would be too old."
http://www.filmfodder.com/mt-weblog/archives/001140.shtml
http://www.killermovies.com/s/starwarsepisodeiii/articles/4415.html

john-salley-holding-george-lucas.jpg

I thought this had been decided as far back as the mid Nineties, when Lucas allowed Timothy Zahn to write novels in the post-ROTJ time frame.

k

I seem to recall an interview where he shot down the idea of a post OT trilogy, but said that if he were to ever revisit Star Wars cinematically, he'd be more interested in doing more of an "Old Republic"-type story. I think this was around the time of the ROTS release.

As has been stated above, books are your friend if your looking for any future stories. I think it likely that someday, someone will make these movies, maybe for our children when they are around our age:unsure

Since the Star Wars movies cover the life of Anakin Skywalker there is no story for Episodes 7-9. The circle is complete so to speak.
Lucas has said he never had stories for 7-9 and that he only thought it would be interesting to see the actors older. That's why you find it mentioned in old magazines etc, but nothing ever came of it.
He's addressed the question a few times.
I know I've seen him talk about on video, but I don't remember where it was.

I wasn't really concerned with "how" the story would progress or who the actors would be. It has just struck me as odd that I can't find ANY mention of George talking about the possibilities of 7, 8, and 9.

Maybe I can write the official Star Wars magazine and see if THEY can ask George. It's a fair question. Surely he would tell us his thoughts on it. If we asked him.

Anyone have his home address? I'll write him. I'm so serious too. You should SEE some of the response letters I've gotten from people.

Well... I don't have a direct quote for you... but I think it was just assumed that since we waited so long and the cast of the OT is... well... can you see Carrie Fisher now in a metal bikini?

Well, I could see her like this:

attachment.php

....and that could make for an interesting twist.........

Gene

Folks who are interested in the genesis of the "Star Wars" story, how many chapters were intended, where the story was supposed to go, should check out the "underground" book "The Secret History of Star Wars" by Michael Kaminski

http://secrethistoryofstarwars.com/

The author mines interviews and published statements by Lucas and his crew, early drafts of the scripts, and pieces together a fascinating analysis of where things changed. How many chapters were planned, nine? Or twelve? When did the story stop being "from the adventures of Luke Skywalker", and became "the story of Anakin all along"? When did Luke's father (Obi-Wan's friend and a talented star pilot) become Darth Vader? When did Leia become Luke's sister? When Yoda in ESB refers to "another" potential Jedi... who was he talking about?

All is revealed. :D

I wasn't really concerned with "how" the story would progress or who the actors would be. It has just struck me as odd that I can't find ANY mention of George talking about the possibilities of 7, 8, and 9.

Maybe I can write the official Star Wars magazine and see if THEY can ask George. It's a fair question. Surely he would tell us his thoughts on it. If we asked him.

Anyone have his home address? I'll write him. I'm so serious too. You should SEE some of the response letters I've gotten from people.

What I posted is his answer. No need to ask again. He's been asked and replied. He's said there is no more story and he never had one.
Whether or not you want to believe something to the contrary that the above book might theorize, that is GL's official answer.

If you're asking about further movies in general and his feelings about it today, the answer is they're focusing on the TV show and that is the future of Star Wars.

George Lucas was interviewed in Maxim when the new trilogy was coming out. He was asked about episodes 7, 8 and 9. He told them that he never said he was planning on them, that the media made it up. The interviewer pointed out that he had the Rolling Stone magazine where Lucas was quoted about three trilogies. Lucas explained that he meant it was just an idea but he had no plans on making another trilogy. The new trilogy took so much time and was so much work that he just wasn't up doing a another trilogy.
As a side note, Mark Hammill mentioned that Lucas asked told him about the idea when they did the orginal trilogy. The idea was that it would be years later and Luke would be like Obi Wan was in the first movie.

Wolf

George Lucas was interviewed in Maxim when the new trilogy was coming out. He was asked about episodes 7, 8 and 9. He told them that he never said he was planning on them, that the media made it up. The interviewer pointed out that he had the Rolling Stone magazine where Lucas was quoted about three trilogies. Lucas explained that he meant it was just an idea but he had no plans on making another trilogy.

All you have to do is read Paul Scanlon's May `77 RS interview to know Lucas' remarks re: a 9 or 12 episode saga were far more extemporaneous than they were promissory.

Fanboys whining about Lucas "going back on his word" or "altering history" need to consider the context under which these alleged "promises" were made.

It reminds me of LIFE OF BRIAN and the whole "Blessed Are the Cheese makers" thing. :lol

Kaminski's book is a fun read for anyone interested in the genesis of Star Wars, but sometimes a little common sense comes in handy when trying to interpret a screenwriter's original intentions. If, for example, one were to try and interpret Orson Welles' intentions re: Citizen Kane based solely on the public record one would arrive at a very inaccurate version of what really went down, conceptually speaking, during the making of that picture.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back