Your 1st screen used prop and what got you into it?

Being only new, well my 1st screen used prop was a paper currency note from the Firely series, it came up on ebay and it was part of the kids need to read campaign so i thought why not? A great cause and the start of my collection, this was only last year too.

My first screen used prop was the leather and snake-skin belt and grey Levi's 501 jeans worn by Richard Chaves as 'Poncho' in the beginning of 'Predator' when he's getting off the helicopter.

I met Richard at a small convention in 1990 when I was 14 and he gave me the items and signed them.

Unfortunately the belt is no longer with me but I still have the jeans.

That was what hooked me on movie props and I can never say enough kind things about Mr. Chaves. He's a true gentleman and a great human being.

My first screen used prop was a Mos Espa Wall prop used in The Phantom Menace (Star Wars: Episode I)

norm-4d01c2481a58e-Star+Wars%3A+The+Phantom+Menace+%281999%29.jpeg

Star Wars: The Phantom Menace (1999), Mos Espa Wall prop, original / screen-used

It's unsettling to me that I immediately began deciphering all of the parts that that thing is made of. I need an intervention.

My very first prop cost .25 and was acquired from the backlot store at Orlando's Disney MGM park in, I think, 1987. It was a simple black plastic background spider from Arachnophobia, though I think I've read since that some of the things sold in that store weren't actually real. I remember also seeing a pair of Arnie's pants from Total Recall, at least that's what the tag said, but my dad wasn't about to part with $220 for them.

Like many of you, Star Wars has always remained supreme. In 2004, I traveled around Spain, Italy, and Tunisia, visiting nearly all the Star Wars locations. I personally collected a few scraps from the Lars Homestead exterior (garage, 1st picture) and interior (Hotel Sidi Driss, 2nd picture). Since then I've been to the Sarlacc Pit site, Buttercup Valley in Imperial Sand Dunes, California, and found quite a bit of material. Mostly you'll find scraps of wood and foam with sand embedded in it, which is what comprised the 'bowl' of the pit. On my second trip out there, I had a journalist along with me, and he wrote this article based on our experience.

Raiders of the lost R2: Excavating a galaxy far, far away?By Jon Mooallem (Harper's Magazine)

Back in the 80's my sister-in-law had a brother who worked in the business. He got me a screen used helmet from 'Full Metal Jacket'. It was a cool helmet, had cigarettes in the band, writing on it and so on. I'm not sure who wore it in the film, I didn't pay much attention to that sort of thing when I was a kid.

Anyway, it sat in my room for a couple of years until I traded it to a friend for something silly - probably a BMX part or a skateboard...

Ouch.

In more recent years, I collected a few SU 'Red Dwarf' props, eventually sold those on.

Currently have my big ORCA piece from Jaws and a couple of screen used 'Gladiator' pieces.

There's some really great stories here. Mine on the other hand is quite dull since I only got into the hobby about 2 years ago! I had no idea that all the props and costumes from Battlestar were going to be sold so I missed most of the auctions.

I spotted a set of pins on eBay and everything grew from there. I joined the Propworx board and found many more items for sale including costumes. My first Hero costume and prop was Gaetas duty blues and his false leg and crutches which all came together in one deal. That was me hooked, I am now relentlessly hunting for more Hero Battlestar costumes! Seriously, I'm like a man possessed!

But I do know where my love of costumes comes from. I remember years ago visiting a travelling exhibition in London called Star Trek: The Experience and I was dumbstruck that I was seeing all these iconic costumes and wished I had them! Every costume I get now reminds me of that day, maybe 8 or so years ago now, of the pure marvel I felt back then.

As a little anecdote to finish my tale, I'm actually a marine engineer and during my very first sea phase as a cadet (it feels a long time ago now!) I was wandering through Singapore container port and saw a number of brightly painted containers. Wandering over for a closer look I read the name printed on the side..... Star Trek: The Experience. Here it was on the other side of the world a year or so after I saw it in London. It really is a small world.........

Collecting for me started simply with autographs of a wide spectrum, Bill Blass, Paulina Porizkova, Charleton Heston and then morphed into costumes. A fateful newspaper article told of Newline auctions, and I was hooked with the purchase of the first outfit Lacey Chabert wore in `Lost in Space'. Science fiction is the milk I grew up, Asimov, Bradbury, Pohl, so being able to add costumes from Andromeda, Cleopatra 2525 (friends rib me about those purchases), Jason X and others reconnects me to my childhood.

My first screen used prop was some set dressing i obtained while visiting the set of the Godzilla movie that stared Mathew Brodderick. I was there when they wer filming the scene where godzilla is chasing the taxi through the streets of NY. It was some grey painted foam that was debris from the buildings godzilla was trashing as he chased the taxi and some articles of clothing that wer thrown around the set as debris too. The first prop I purchased was the save Brusers mom flyer from legally blond 2 purchased from premier props. Since then my collection has grown rappidly.

My first screen used prop was the armor Heath Ledger wore in A Knight's Tale. It was for sale in a PIH auction and nobody would bid on it. So I did and got it. It was cool, but didn't fit with what I want to collect so I had PremiereProps (Dan) sell it for me. It was also a little morbid.

In the same auction I bought a screen used fighting sickle from Sleepy Hollow.

I think investing in props is more fun than the market. If you find good buys you should just buy them and resell them. Make a little money so you can invest in stuff you want to keep.

I just purchased my first screen used prop this past week from Preimere Props Ebay store, an 'NZT Pill' from Limitless.

I am anxiously waiting for it to come in the mail. I am trying to think of a good way to display such a small piece. I am thinking of putting it in a small office desktop picture frame, making a circular cut out in the center of black matting for the pill, then below the pill having LIMITLESS printed in a silver ink (so it would show up on the black matting).

I am new to this fourm and props in general, so any other ideas on a way to display the NZT pill would be great!

My first-ever screen-used Prop was a "TKR" sign from Team Knight Rider.

I obugh it from a guy on the Knight Rider Online forum, and it came with a unique TKR Poster and a photocopy of the original series bible made by the head writer.

Later on, on ebay I purchased some Poker Chips used in Knight Rider (2008)

These are still my only screen-used Props. but I will get more! Eventually...

My first screen used item was Henry Rollins outfit from the movie FEAST. I just recently got into prop collecting as far as screen used goes. I always thought everything was way too expensive (and still do lol) but so far I have three screen used pieces and plan on getting more... as soon as I figure out how to afford them lol. Just knowing that it was the first screen used item I got I don't think I could ever sell it seeing how excited I was when I won the auction.

one of my First props was 12 miniature floor tiles from the Dropship bay From Aliens, i now have several Miniature Alien Eggs and Blue prints , as part of my Collection

I was fortunate to be an extra on sets for "The Assassination of Jesse James..." and "Paschendaele". I have cufflinks (and a great conversation with Casey Affleck) from TAJJ, and shell casings, Canadian helmet, putties, and some stained glass from Paschendaele. Probably worth very little to anyone else (screen used, but not notably), they are fun to have.

I am always looking for props from Jurassic Park, Wind, The Abyss, Aliens, and a few others. Nothing found. Thanks for the site. Its lots of fun.

I purchased a small piece of set decor ( candle holder) off of Ebay that was supposed to have been used in The Mummy. After getting the piece and watching the move over and over realized that it was not used in the film , that and the fact the the seller resold like 25 more :( But it did drive me forward into the prop world. I think the first Authentic piece was Tobey Maquire's back pack from Spiderman purchased directly from sony :)

My first screen used prop was my Starship Troopers uniform. These are pictures of me holding Got Maul's screen used Morita at Dragon Con '04- that did it for me. I HAD to get me a suit once I found out they were available to the public. The rest is history!

My first screen used prop was my Starship Troopers uniform. These are pictures of me holding Got Maul's screen used Morita at Dragon Con '04- that did it for me. I HAD to get me a suit once I found out they were available to the public. The rest is history!

Yeah very cool gun I had a screen used stunt myself at one point , had some blood and a letter from Rock G.
Did you snag a replica uniform or an original ? Reason I ask i know how rare the female originals are to locate .

I have nothing but original armor and have been blessed enough to have 2 sets of female armor- one of which I desecrated by cutting holes into it so Art and I could troop as wounded troopers together. There are definitely a lot fewer sets of the female armor for sure.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back