Moon Lander LEM

Sebbo

My first attempt at building a replica model of the LEM.
It is based on the Revell model-kit and is not in any way "customized" by me.
This is my first attempt at building a model seriously, my earlier models are more of the "build-first-maybe-paint-later" :p

Hope you like it and find my work well made :)

Very nice. I have been having the urge to scratch build a 1/32 scale to go along with the CM model. Someone please talk me out of it!! :lol

I loves me some LEM! :)

That's a great build Sebbo! You made it look just like the box art. That's a great approach! I think the old Revell, Monogram etc. Apollo models, since they are based on preliminary designs anyway, should probably be built to resemble "what they really are", which basically means to resemble the contractors' desk models and concept artwork from the early Sixties.

kt12211lg.jpg

"Accurate Models" (aka Custom Replicas) had announced a 1/32 LM replica some years ago, and it sounded fantastic, but so far I don't think they ever completed it... the site hasn't been updated in a couple years. :unsure

lmleg1.jpg

Japanese site showing many of the Apollo kits that have been done over the years

http://apollomaniacs.web.infoseek.co.jp/apollo/modele.htm

Your build of the LM is great! It's nice to see the rare real space subject around here.

Custom Replicas still plans on releasing the LM kit , as far as I know. They took a detour and re-released their 1/20th F-1 engine, which is fantastic too.

-John

www.apollosaturn.com

Hey all. Tnx for all the nice feedback :)
The stickers is coming on right this second, pictures will be up in some hours when the camera is ready :p

I really like the Apollo program models and are looking for a better model of the LEM, I think airfix has one that is in 1/32 scale.

//Sebbe

An Airfix 1/32 LM would be huge news.. but I haven't heard anything about it. I know they have a 1/72 kit.

The only 1/32 LM that I know of, was by "Vista Models" many years ago now... it was rare and hard to get, I never saw one up close. You can google up pics of it probably.

k

Love the Spider! Nice Build, Sebbo!!!

I've had a 1/6th build of an LM (LEM respectful of her youth) on my mind for the last 5+ yrs!
Adam Mythbuster recently made one - to de-bunk the Faked Moon Landing 'movies/pics' Myth. Though a simple build, their model ROCKED!
If I get better plans than what I currently have (Outside & In!) & can decide which one of the 14 (or so) of her 'cousins' to build, I may just give it an -
All systems GO!

Artist and astronaut Alan Bean has a 1/6 LM which he uses for reference for his space paintings. I think it was built for him but I forget by whom.

dscn0070.jpg

Even a 1/12 LM would be fantastic! Here's one that was built to scale with the old Matt Mason toy figures. :)

rankhasitsprivileges.jpg

Where are they today.......

Hardware disposition

The Apollo 10 LM ascent stage is in heliocentric orbit making it the sole intact lunar module ascent stage remaining out of the 10 true LMs sent into space. The Apollo 5, 9 and 13 LM ascent stages burned up in Earth's atmosphere, the Apollo 11 and 16 LM ascent stages were left in lunar orbit and crashed onto the moon when their orbits decayed, and the Apollo 12, 14, 15 and 17 LM ascent stages were deliberately crashed onto the moon in order to obtain seismic readings from the seismometers placed on the lunar surface. (The Lunar Test Article LTA-B flown as ballast aboard Apollo 8 remained attached to the Saturn S-IVB stage that went into solar orbit.)

The Apollo 10 LM descent stage is expected to have crashed onto the lunar surface, but the exact location is unknown.

I have looked-up the airfix model, and sure thing it was a 1/72 scale, I must have been mistaking.
Well, something whit a little more detail would be nice :) worst case scenario is that I must build one from scratch ;) I think my studies would suffer from that :p

I loves me some LEM! :)

That's a great build Sebbo! You made it look just like the box art. That's a great approach! I think the old Revell, Monogram etc. Apollo models, since they are based on preliminary designs anyway, should probably be built to resemble "what they really are", which basically means to resemble the contractors' desk models and concept artwork from the early Sixties.
I agree. The Revellogram LEM is a nice kit, but it requires a good deal of extra work if you're looking for accuracy to the actual hardware.

Truly nice work Sebbo!

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back