It was the best of Who, it was the worst ...

Rotwang

Sr Member
For a moment I was convinced that Davies had written one of the best Dr Who stories ever. He was riding high and everything seemed perfect until he completely ruined it by pulling out the plot hammer and everything went downhill from there.

Dr Who is basically a kid's show. So RTD wrote a happy ending and there is nothing wrong with that, except that it is the most superfluous ending I have seen in a long time. If this is writing for kids, he must really hate them or think that kids are complete idiots that must be sheltered from all the bad nasty things in the world and grow up believing that every little detail will be resolved in a happy world of ice cream and unicorns.

RTD is a master at using plotlines, he just doesn't understand the first thing about pacing or writing a truly interesting and rewarding story. All he is interested in is showing off how clever he is.

You will know where to skip right to the end, because the last third of the episode is pretentious crap that cheapens everything else that was genuinely brilliant about this episode ...

Not the biggest fan of RTD's writing, but I thought it was great. What were you expecting?

Davies was signing off in the last third, for himself, Tennant, and the Who universe he created. How can it have been over childish AND pretentious?

I thought Tennant's last words were heart-breaking.

i cant watch any of it, well maybe 5 mins just to give myself a laugh.

cant believe people actually buy this crap.

-z

i cant watch any of it, well maybe 5 mins just to give myself a laugh.

cant believe people actually buy this crap.

-z

Why even bother to post then? I think that 5th Element is an unwatchable POS, so I don't post in threads related to it :rolleyes

I really enjoyed it.

The new series of Doctor Who isn't the same as classic Who, it couldn't be.

The old Who format wouldn't survive on todays airwaves.

Thankfully for me, I like both the old and the new. :)

However I was beginning to lose faith with this last episode, that was until the last few minutes.

Then I just sat back and went with it, brilliant stuff.

Eccleston and Tennant both did wonderful jobs, roll on Mat Smith and lets see what he can do!

Andy

It was definitely an intense episode. It had all the right emotions, even if there were a few wtf moments.

I am excited for Matt Smith and Steven Moffat, though less excited for "allons-y"'s replacement: "geronimo."

I can't stop reading this thread, even though I'm not going to see it for 28 1/2 hours or so...
Something along the lines buccaneer bay helped me ;)

Honestly it had some good stuff to it but it mostly sucked. Quiet possibly one of the worst episodes of the new series, and I'm counting both parts in that.

I agree completely, could be the worst, but I really liked the last few minutes. RTD should be ashamed for messing up the last Tennant episode.

I agree completely, could be the worst, but I really liked the last few minutes. RTD should be ashamed for messing up the last Tennant episode.

He should be ashamed of making Ten such a selfish prat at the end. His rant after the knocking made my stomach turn.

He should be ashamed of making Ten such a selfish prat at the end. His rant after the knocking made my stomach turn.

Yeah! What was that crap all about? After him going the whole series about how brilliant and important humans are, he acts like a spoiled kid and puts down a friend of his right before his death, or what he thought would be his death?

I get that people get angry at the thought of dying too, but man... That seriously made me go "What a $##$%#!"

Horrible writing.

Overall, I enjoyed it. Thought Tennant did an outstanding job with his stint as the Dr. overall. But I love all the over-the-top acting, hyper-dramatic music, crazy plots...I think that is what makes the show entertaining and I'm looking forward to seeing what the new guy will do! The promo for that looked to be entertaining.

Some of it I liked, some of it I didn't. At one point, when my wife and I were watching, and she turns to me and asks "How are they coming back, I thought the Time Lords were all dead". It was right after she asked that question that Wilf asks the same thing :lol The Doctor gives some sort of BS excuses that really didn't make sense, but hey, it's only TV.

So, who was the older woman who turned out to be a Time Lord supposed to be? When she first reveals herself to the Doctor, my wife and I figured that maybe she was his mother, but then later on when Wilf asks (he seems to be good at asking the questions the audience has) and the Doctor just glances in Donna's direction for a second.

Yeah! What was that crap all about? After him going the whole series about how brilliant and important humans are, he acts like a spoiled kid and puts down a friend of his right before his death, or what he thought would be his death?

I get that people get angry at the thought of dying too, but man... That seriously made me go "What a $##$%#!"

Horrible writing.

The ranting was he thought his end was going to be in some major cause. He got omens and warnings about some evil returning, etc, and that it was going to cost him his life. Whether overt or not, he was preparing himself for such and end only to find out the end was to save 1 person, not 6.7 billion. It's kind of a prophetical bait-and-switch to him. In the end, it was just venting - like anyone would do, and when Wilf tried to apologize, he told him it wasn't necessary, it was an honor. He understood in the end, but when you're preparing for the end to be in the saving of some major catastrophe, or even the end of the universe, and it turns out to be to save one person, no matter how much you think it's worth it, you're going to have a similar reaction.

What's with the other two people hiding their faces like weeping angels?

From the Dr. Who wiki:
It is suspected that perhaps the Weeping Angels were once shamed Time Lords, as in The End of Time (Part 2), the President of the Time Lords refers to the two who opposed him (and, coincidentally, are covering their eyes in the same way as the Weeping Angels) as 'monuments to their shame, as the Weeping Angels of old'. This is pure speculation, however; though with the Weeping Angels confirmed to return in the next series, credence may or may not be lent to this theory

Last edited by a moderator:
He understood in the end, but when you're preparing for the end to be in the saving of some major catastrophe, or even the end of the universe, and it turns out to be to save one person, no matter how much you think it's worth it, you're going to have a similar reaction.

Yeah. Not the worst thing in the episode by a long shot. I'd read all this beforehand and was expecting something much more unlikeable than the rant actually turned out to be.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back