optimus prime, 6'8 replica

Wow, what a fantastic project. Really looking forward to seeing Prime come together :thumbsup

thanks endoskeleton, well i thought id build something completly of the wall, and unusual.

This is pretty sweet, I wouldn't mind making one of these if I had more time.

thanks tlobe00, well my prime will need some some decepticons to take on.

heres a little update for you, cracked on with the legs over the last couple of days,still loads to,as there only in there infant stage at the moment, but im pleased with the build so far
all the best
colin

optimus%20prime
[/URL][/IMG]
optimus%20prime
[/URL][/IMG]
optimus%20prime
[/URL][/IMG]
optimus%20prime
[/URL][/IMG]
optimus%20prime
[/URL][/IMG]

Incredible scratch build. :love

You have really outdone yourself as it completely captures the look of the classic cartoon.

Congrats!

Hey Colin,

I recognized your work from your posts on the astromech forums. I'll continue to follow your great work here.

Rawr, I can't get enough of this thread. Simply amazing man.

I can't wait to see the whole thing completed.

thanks shaka-zula, im glad you like him, and trust me i csnt wait to see him on his legs!

Looking forward to see this completed
Awesome work

thanks eagc, well my goal in my head, is the release of transformers 3, but now im thinking past the legs and now thinking of the base i want to build to display him on, lol!!

wow, great job so far

thanks getoninja, im pleased you like him, i wanted to capture the look of the g1 cartoon, and the detailed comics like dreamwave

Incredible scratch build. :love

You have really outdone yourself as it completely captures the look of the classic cartoon.

Congrats!

thanks monteburns, ive tryed to add as much detail as i could, as i really wanted this to be a something that captures prime in all his glory, yes he's big and my missus is now wondering where he's going to go,but being this size it has allowed me to cram in all the detail.

Hey Colin,

I recognized your work from your posts on the astromech forums. I'll continue to follow your great work here.

thanks Al, great to see you here mate, happy new year to you and your family, well goal this year is legs,hands and energon axe!! hopefully lol!!

hi guys
well with the weather like it is, lots of snow, ive had another good day building,just me, my flask of coffee,radio and lots of serious building,
all the best
colin
optimus%20prime
[/URL][/IMG]
optimus%20prime
[/URL][/IMG]
optimus%20prime
[/URL][/IMG]
optimus%20prime
[/URL][/IMG]
optimus%20prime
[/URL][/IMG]
optimus%20prime
[/URL][/IMG]
optimus%20prime
[/URL][/IMG]
optimus%20prime
[/URL][/IMG]
optimus%20prime
[/URL][/IMG]

hi fellow builders,
well a few late nights, in the garage, and im pretty much happy with the build, now this parts done,its time to fill,flat and sand, this may take some time,lol heres some pics,

first thing was to finish the sides,
optimus%20prime
[/URL][/IMG]
optimus%20prime
[/URL][/IMG]
optimus%20prime
[/URL][/IMG]
optimus%20prime
[/URL][/IMG]

then i wanted to finish the top part of his leg, what i id was cut out a section,the piece i cut out,i re-used and bought out another section,like so..

optimus%20prime
[/URL][/IMG]
optimus%20prime
[/URL][/IMG]
optimus%20prime
[/URL][/IMG]
optimus%20prime
[/URL][/IMG]
optimus%20prime
[/URL][/IMG]

then i wanted to bring out the bottom section, first i cut some ply,and left a section emply,as i want to drop some detsil in later,
then i raised this part of the leg out further, and cut some wood at an angle, finished with a section across the top, now this section im going to vent,similar to how i did his grill,

optimus%20prime
[/URL][/IMG]
optimus%20prime
[/URL][/IMG]
optimus%20prime
[/URL][/IMG]

finally i had to see what the wheels would look like,

optimus%20prime
[/URL][/IMG]

This is just so damn cool!

Are the legs going to be static? If not, are you/how are you going to do the hydraulic rams? Dowels, maybe?

Are the vents in the front of the legs going to open like the toy?

Finally, are you going to make any accessories, like the Matrix?

I can't wait to see this bad boy closer to completion.

This is just so damn cool!

Are the legs going to be static? If not, are you/how are you going to do the hydraulic rams? Dowels, maybe?

Are the vents in the front of the legs going to open like the toy?

Finally, are you going to make any accessories, like the Matrix?

I can't wait to see this bad boy closer to completion.

hi

thanks for the compliments, heres the answers to your questions,

legs will be static, i looked at this long and hard,i didnt want to end up making a giant toy, more a homage to optimus as a super detailed model, all be it a 6'8 model lol!! i will add parts to give the illusion they bend etc,similar to how i done the arms etc

again, they will be static,but im going to do them like i done my grill,hence the gap left for them, i will use the same ali strips and build a grill like vent.

yes, defo, im going to make the matrix,im going to do his energon axe, and eventually his gun. and further down the line ive got some mad ideas for a base as well.

well im pretty up to speed with prime, its going to take a while to clean him up now, before i get the paint out, he'll defo be up on his legs in the next couple of months.

all the best
colin

Awesome job!:thumbsup

Sorry if this has been asked already... what will Prime weigh when you're finished? I'm just curious.

Keep up the great attention to detail.

hi
when complete, he'll be about 140lb, around 10 stone, i aim to make him so he's super detailed, as my goal is to make the ultimate g1 optimus prime
all the best
colin

hi guys
ok,it got the better of me, lol !!! ive had to do it though!! no seriously, wanted to make sure all was looking ok, heres the pics,oh and got my missus to take a pic of me with prime,for scale etc,im 5'10 and im dwarfed by prime,
colin
optimus%20prime
[/URL][/IMG]
optimus%20prime
[/URL][/IMG]
optimus%20prime
[/URL][/IMG]
optimus%20prime
[/URL][/IMG]
optimus%20prime
[/URL][/IMG]
optimus%20prime
[/URL][/IMG]

This just gets better and better! I love the extra detail you've thrown on that's not on the 20th version. Like the greeblies on the white 'rib cage' and the vents next to the head.

Just fantastic. I so wish I could see this in person. Maybe once it's done you could get some video of a walk around with sounds?

Is it hard to walk in that? It looks heavy. Looks great though. I like Retro Prime much better then the new one. Great job man.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back