optimus prime, 6'8 replica

Colin you have done a totally awesome job on this and I do think that it should be the center piece of a Transformers museum that you might make for your self or for others. Ether way I would definitely pay to see it. Heck I would even take my brother in law who loves Transformers and has since early childhood to come and see it.

Colin you have done a totally awesome job on this and I do think that it should be the center piece of a Transformers museum that you might make for your self or for others. Ether way I would definitely pay to see it. Heck I would even take my brother in law who loves Transformers and has since early childhood to come and see it.

thanks Mauiman, thanks for your support and kind words, well he's getting to the end now of his mega construction. display base is now underway and he will be finally done, if your ever my way, the kettles always on!

O u t s t a n d i n g !
A w e s o m e !
Y o u -
R o c k !
:)

MooCriket, dude as always thank you for your awesome support, it means a lot mate.

hi guys
ive now started the final part of this mammoth build, primes display base, its been made of 2 layers, the bottom layer hollow as im going to back light it from underneath! the top layer will be covered in mirror styrene, panels like the base of cybertron will cover the top and small slots in the base will allow the light to poke through, and the big autobot badge will sit in the middle,
all the best
colin

video 3 in case you missed it

YouTube - 7ft optimus prime,G1 transformers video 3 The Matrix of Leadership

I had no idea this build was here.... this is amazing!

I'm in serious shock and awe :confused

thanks for the kind words mate, he;s nearly done now, Sniff sniff!!!! hes been a joy to build, just finishing the display base then, then i will post final pics.
all the best
colin

Hi guys
right slots were added in different areas of the base,then the mirror styrene has been cut in different shapes to represent the panels of cybertron, once cut,they were put to the side while i sorted out the underside, the string of leds were tacked on near the slots,so the lights will poke through, once happy, i added a bottom to the base,covered in tin foil to reflect the light upwards, then i superglued each panel on, and as you can see once the protect film is removed from the panels and the light shines through,and finally i have started to add chrome trim to each panel, its starting to take shape now!!
all the best
colin

That is pretty incredible! Good Job!

thanks mate

hi guys
right, im on the verge of a huge update, PRIME IS FINISHED!!!!! so to get the ball rolling, heres the display base complete, i will add more pics tomoz, heres the pics enjoy
all the best
colin

Last edited:
Colin...I can't wait! Love the display base, really looking forward to your update!
I know it will be far more epic then this...maybe not the same height, but the detail you've accomplished, far surpasses:)
optimusprime_large.jpg

Colin...I can't wait! Love the display base, really looking forward to your update!
I know it will be far more epic then this...maybe not the same height, but the detail you've accomplished, far surpasses:)
optimusprime_large.jpg

moocriket, as always dude thanks a lot mate!

Right guys, prime is finished, once base was complete, it was a small matter of the odds and sods i needed to do to finish prime, pelvis was first, i felt it was a bit flat, so i added more chrome trim to add depth to it, the eagle eyed amoung you will notice this, and its hard to believe that theres over 6 metres of trim added to the pelvis, also added a bit more detail to the legs to bring them up to the same standard as his arms and cab, dirt was added to the wheel arches and tyres, and the vents on primes legs all had dust added, fine line chrome trim was used to make the small vents, all in all im very happy.
I also want to take this opportunity to thank everyone for the support and comments, and wish you all a happy xmas, i know its early, but its nearly here, lol, anyway, video 4 is in the works, so watch this space!!!!!

video 1

YouTube - Transformers 7ft G1 Optimus Prime Fan made

video 2

YouTube - 7ft Optimus Prime - Video 2 transformers G1

video 3

YouTube - 7ft optimus prime,G1 transformers video 3 The Matrix of Leadership

all the best
colin

asdasd.gif
I salute you Sir! That makes me very, very happy! Of course I would be happier if that was in my yard. My neighbors, not so much:)

asdasd.gif
I salute you Sir! That makes me very, very happy! Of course I would be happier if that was in my yard. My neighbors, not so much:)

As always my friend, thank you so much for your awesome support, its been a wonderful journey building prime, next year,new year,new projects...LOL

i also want to take the time to wish you all a very HAPPY CHRISTMAS!!!!

all the best
colin :thumbsup

Optimus Prime's head is modelled after a Gundam's head unit... Seems very likely given the fact that there was at 3-5 years between the arrival of the original Gundam TV series and Transformers American debut.

I just don't think this is a coincidence. The detail of the eye shape, the faceplate, and the same nod to the samurai helmets...!

Such 'homages' are pretty standard in anime and mass toy production in Japan.

I don't tend to think of this as a rip-off because Transformers are WAY different than Gundams in storyline, characterizations, and other story concerns. For one thing, robots were used as tools in Gundam and are non-living while they are alive and are the main focus of TF!

P.S. -- Nice work on that Optimus mock-up!

The original G1 design for that character is definitely the best... Don't care for the GM-look and flames on that later 'version.'

Last edited:
seriously , this is THE BEST fan made G1 Optimus Prime i ever seen ! i'm so jealous of it

ok , i have my costume ( i've made in 2007 ) but your work is totally amazing !

98506290_E8p0u6Q2.jpg

seriously , this is THE BEST fan made G1 Optimus Prime i ever seen ! i'm so jealous of it

ok , i have my costume ( i've made in 2007 ) but your work is totally amazing !

98506290_E8p0u6Q2.jpg

thank you for your kind words, im so proud of what i did with optimus, he was a real labour of love, and although took 3+ years to build,he was worh every minute i spent on him, im currently laying out plans for my next g1 transfomer project, so watch this space....

p.s love the optimus costume

all the best
colin

My reason for registering on the RPF (next to the fact that its an amazing forum) is to post in this thread to say how utterly amazed I am by the amount of detail and work you put into this build! Fantastic work!

G1 Prime is my absolute favourite and would love to start building at least the head to put on display.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back