Fight Club Tyler Durden T-shirts?

Interesting observation on the hinges Danman. I had never noticed that before.

I don't own a pair of the ti model, so I can't say for sure. Maybe those that have them can chime in, especially if you've owned them for a while, but the ti that came out a few years ago appears to have painted on logos and model #

49474-3.jpg

The new ti models I'm seeing on ebay right now look more like they are laser engraved/etched.

$_1.JPG

$_57.JPG

Hard to say though just from the pics. Let us know once they come in AJ.

Did Aj and Soul ever come to a conclusion on the most accurate red lens for the 523? Is it the "tomatoe", the "kensitington", or something else? Most that I see all look to dark.

Ok I see what you're saying. I owned a Ti not so long ago. Yea the logos are laser printed on. I thought you guys meant engraved into the metal like the original 523 and the rerelease. Under bright light the lettering appeared bright white

IC. yeah, I think these different terms getting thrown around probably adds to the confusion too.

The original release from '98/'99 almost seem to be "stamped" into the metal causing it to raise up around the edges of the characters. I think they were technically still engraved, but maybe a more rudimentary process? I'm starting to see a bunch of these pop up lately too though with the 5 hinges, that makes me wonder . . .

Then you have 2nd release from 2000 that seem to be more finely mechanically "engraved". This is the 3 hinge model. I also see replicas of this model coming out of Japan that are finely engraved. They usually have "120 S OP-523" engraved on the arm and they also have the bridge measurement.

Then there is the 10th anniversary edition that are also mechanically "engraved" but with the extra serial #. The engraving process I've seen on these look different too, like a double line. 3 hinge also.

And Finally the Ti model that is "laser etched" with the flat 3 hinge.

Hmm, interesting. Mine look like the ones Dan is saying is the '09 release, but according to your info Soul, it looks like they'd be more suited to be called the 2000 release. I'll have to toss up a few pics when I'm home from work if I get a minute. They definitely don't have the flared hinge.

Last edited:
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
Hello guys!
it's Interesting to read all different Styles about the 523. i bought my glasses in 2002, what do you think, which year Model Is mine? Before 2000?
Thank's!
tommy

Tommy, yours are the original 1998s. It's easy to tell because of the 5 prong hinges. In the 2000 and 2009 release they used a 3 prong hinge. I'm almost positive, but you might want to see what AJ, Soul, and/or Dan says. But I'm almost positive yours are the 1990's.

Tb79. Are those screen used? Can you post more pics of those color lenses? I'd like to see them more carefully. They are definitely the original release

Well I will keep you guys updated. As I own a 2009 pair, 3 1998 pairs, and soon to be the TI's when they arrive. As for the color, I am doing some filming as Tyler Durden and the tomato red (kinison red) on my camera looks like the same on screen.

I wouldn't mind seeing TB79's on his face how the color looks.

- - - Updated - - -

Ah wow, this clears up so much confusion I had.

Well, I bought a pair of 523's a bit ago, knowing full well they didn't have a 5 prong hinge, which I had heard from 3 people was probably a batch 2 of originals. Probably not true now. I had decided to go against the popular opinion that they were not originals as the seller also had a 5 prong hinge pair up at the same time. They both looked EXACTLY the same in the pics he posted except for the hinges.

I asked OP Sunset Blvd about getting new lenses and they said they thought there were remakes but I was really confused since all the Ti's had printing on them. I figured I had some confusing enigmatic pair of glasses. Mine have engraving on them, including the measurements on the bridge.

Thought they were originals as I was led to believe by 2 major eBay sellers and someone from opticsplanet. Guess they are new Ti's. That'd explain a lot. I paid waaay too much for them too. Lesson learned I suppose…

edit: Just to clarify… mine do NOT say Ti anywhere on them. They say 62[]18 on the bridge, and "120 S OP-523" on the left arm.

It is engraved, however I have noticed that my original deadstock 525's which I bought directly from OP LA have a slightly more matte finish to them and the engraving is almost "raised" a bit as if when they engraved, the engraving machine pushed some metal up slightly. The OP-523's don't look raised, but neither did the 5 prong hinge pair he had listed. And you can tell in a photo that the 525's are raised, I am quite sure. I'll need to double-check that, but I'm pretty positive it's noticeable in a photo.

In fact, what struck me as odd when I talked to OP LA about this is that the 523's appear to actually be of higher overall quality than the 525's.

Is it possible then, that there are also 5 prong hinge "new Ti's?" But if that were true, then why make a 3 prong pair AND a 5 prong pair?

I don't want to accuse anyone here, but this whole thing has confused me for a while now and suddenly it's starting to make a little more sense…

Do they have a contour? Only the 1998's and rumor is the TI's do not have the contour from the bridge.

If you want a pair of OP523ti (for sure, and possibly earlier releases) and possibly OP Sunset, Pakalas, Whistle straight frome OP Asian Corporate division office PM me.

I have a contact that's high up in OP Corporate here in the US and I called them yesterday to ask how and why Japan has OP523. They told me what is going on (if you're interested or dont know, let me know and I'll explain how and what they are).

More importantly they put me in contact with someone in OP corporate in Asia and he called me at 2 in the morning this morning. He said they still have the OP523ti and he can have them shipped out to me for ¥34200, roughly $310 US; that covers shipping and tax.

He also said that he believes he can get a hold to some of the earlier releases as well. In addition, he said that a couple of he's boutiques had the Sunset aswell, and he said he believes the price is around ¥32000. He also is going to check on the other styles that I mentioned earlier.

I went ahead and purchased 1 pair of OP 523ti for $310. He told me he'd have an answer for me today (well 2am) on all the others. After I get my orders straight, if anyone is interested and he's okay with it (which I don't see why he wouldn't be) I can give you he's email address.

Also, if you want to know how, and why Asia has them and we don't, let me know. They are 100% OP.

Also, Aj he did tell me a little about the contouring on the 523s. So, message me if you can, I want to check something he said about the originals and the re releases and I know you have both.

I've already have about 6 messages asking about the titanium and all the other info. Give me about 30 min and I'll be in front of a computer as opposed to the phone.

Also, the more I think about it....I don't know if you can qualify the "op523ti" as 100% authentic OP.

And Sunsets for $296 (¥32,000) WOW! We will finally know the source of all these OP shades (Sunset, Pakalas, Whistle and OP523). I knew they were still being made somewhere.

Ok, Ill start from the beginning. And keep in mind that we've been told contradicting things by OP in the past, however my contact is on the corporate level and has been there since the '80s.

I contacted someone high up in OP Corporate to ask about the OP523ti. I wanted to know if they where made by OP, and if so why didn't they carry them here in the US. My person told me that its kinda a yes and no answer. They said that it was actually a Japan OP Boutique that had the OP523ti made. They said that when OP got bought out by Luxottica it kinda gave the Asian division the ability to do things that wasn't authorized, and get away with it. My contact said that the Boutique is having them manufactured by a company that OP doesn't use. They gave me and email address for someone in OP Corporate in the Asian division, so I emailed him asking for a pair.

My contact also added that the OP523s did not sell well here in the US, that OP actually ended up sending a lot of them over seas because they sold like crazy over there. I asked about the shape (contouring) being different on the re released OP523. They said that around 2000 they started contouring (they used a different term that I cant remember) all their glasses, because its more comfortable and improves the vision since your eyes are round. They said the contouring is not just in the nose piece, that the actual part of the frame that holds the lenses are contoured more than the original. Meaning that even if you bend the nose piece in the opposite direction to make them more flat like the originals, it still will be more contoured than the originals because of the lens part of the frame which your not able to bend without messing up the frames. This is what I wanted to ask AJ about because I know that he has both. I wanted to know if the eye part of the frame is more curved/contoured on the re-release like they said?

The guy from OP in Asia called me at 2am. Keep in mind that, even though he spoke English fairly well, it was at times hard for me to follow him; however he seemed to understand all my questions.

He said that they have discontinued the OP523ti but the still had them in some Boutiques in Japan and he can send me a pair for 34200 yen which came to around $310 US. I asked him about what my US contact told me. And he said the same thing. He said that they have them manufactured by a separate manufacture from who makes all the other OPs. He said that the reason they are titanium is because titanium is preferred in all glasses in Asia. He said the reason for the lenses being orange instead of read is because even though there was never a copyright (he used another term) on the OP523 frames themselves, there is one on the combination of that frame with red lenses. He told me that the OP523ti are manufactured from the exact specs of the 1990s release (however these do have a 3 prong hinge). He said so they are more accurate to the originals.

So with that being said, the OP523ti aren't made by OP. They're being made for/by an individual OP Boutique by a manufacturer that is being subcontracted.
So would Y'all considered this as being authentic? Its kinda like a Jewel Store that's an authorized Rolex dealer hiring Tag Heurer to replicate a Rolex. Or a Nike store hiring a manufacturer that Nike doesn't use to recreate the first pair of Jordans. What does everyone think?

He did say that he's pretty sure that they have a couple of earlier OP523, and that he would check. He also said that the asian market is obsessed with Brad Pitt so most of the glasses that he wore, Pakalas, Sunset, Aero 54, Whistle, are still in there botiques. He said he'd check on that to.

He said he'd get back to me today, which will be tonight his time.

Also, remember this is info that I've been told. I'm a VP at a large Bank and I do understand corporations very well. I know that some info that people tell you is correct, some is fabricated to make the person telling it come across as more important and/or more knowledgeable than the really are, and some is just to sell you. I believe that my US contact is correct about all they told me. When they don't know something, they'll say "I don't know'. They don't make up something that just sounds good. As for the Asian contact, he seemed to be telling me correct info with a little bit of selling involved. So keep that in mind.
As for the Original and re-released glasses themselves, if you have questions, you might want to ask Soul, AJ, and/or Dan, they know just about every detail and differences.

I've been in and out of my office typing this, so I hope it makes since. Also, I probably left out a lot more info that I've gotten. So if there something that you're wondering I might have an answer. In addition, sorry for the run on sentences and any other errors, I dont have time to read over and make corrections.

Oh, my contact at the US office said she would ask Larry (which I'm assuming is the old owner, now the creative director) a couple of other questions that I had that they didn't know the answer to.

Excellent info. Thanks for doing the research on this! :thumbsup

Ok, Ill start from the beginning. And keep in mind that we've been told contradicting things by OP in the past, however my contact is on the corporate level and has been there since the '80s.

I contacted someone high up in OP Corporate to ask about the OP523ti. I wanted to know if they where made by OP, and if so why didn't they carry them here in the US. My person told me that its kinda a yes and no answer. They said that it was actually a Japan OP Boutique that had the OP523ti made. They said that when OP got bought out by Luxottica it kinda gave the Asian division the ability to do things that wasn't authorized, and get away with it. My contact said that the Boutique is having them manufactured by a company that OP doesn't use. They gave me and email address for someone in OP Corporate in the Asian division, so I emailed him asking for a pair.

My contact also added that the OP523s did not sell well here in the US, that OP actually ended up sending a lot of them over seas because they sold like crazy over there. I asked about the shape (contouring) being different on the re released OP523. They said that around 2000 they started contouring (they used a different term that I cant remember) all their glasses, because its more comfortable and improves the vision since your eyes are round. They said the contouring is not just in the nose piece, that the actual part of the frame that holds the lenses are contoured more than the original. Meaning that even if you bend the nose piece in the opposite direction to make them more flat like the originals, it still will be more contoured than the originals because of the lens part of the frame which your not able to bend without messing up the frames. This is what I wanted to ask AJ about because I know that he has both. I wanted to know if the eye part of the frame is more curved/contoured on the re-release like they said?

The guy from OP in Asia called me at 2am. Keep in mind that, even though he spoke English fairly well, it was at times hard for me to follow him; however he seemed to understand all my questions.

He said that they have discontinued the OP523ti but the still had them in some Boutiques in Japan and he can send me a pair for 34200 yen which came to around $310 US. I asked him about what my US contact told me. And he said the same thing. He said that they have them manufactured by a separate manufacture from who makes all the other OPs. He said that the reason they are titanium is because titanium is preferred in all glasses in Asia. He said the reason for the lenses being orange instead of read is because even though there was never a copyright (he used another term) on the OP523 frames themselves, there is one on the combination of that frame with red lenses. He told me that the OP523ti are manufactured from the exact specs of the 1990s release (however these do have a 3 prong hinge). He said so they are more accurate to the originals.

So with that being said, the OP523ti aren't made by OP. They're being made for/by an individual OP Boutique by a manufacturer that is being subcontracted.
So would Y'all considered this as being authentic? Its kinda like a Jewel Store that's an authorized Rolex dealer hiring Tag Heurer to replicate a Rolex. Or a Nike store hiring a manufacturer that Nike doesn't use to recreate the first pair of Jordans. What does everyone think?

He did say that he's pretty sure that they have a couple of earlier OP523, and that he would check. He also said that the asian market is obsessed with Brad Pitt so most of the glasses that he wore, Pakalas, Sunset, Aero 54, Whistle, are still in there botiques. He said he'd check on that to.

He said he'd get back to me today, which will be tonight his time.

Also, remember this is info that I've been told. I'm a VP at a large Bank and I do understand corporations very well. I know that some info that people tell you is correct, some is fabricated to make the person telling it come across as more important and/or more knowledgeable than the really are, and some is just to sell you. I believe that my US contact is correct about all they told me. When they don't know something, they'll say "I don't know'. They don't make up something that just sounds good. As for the Asian contact, he seemed to be telling me correct info with a little bit of selling involved. So keep that in mind.
As for the Original and re-released glasses themselves, if you have questions, you might want to ask Soul, AJ, and/or Dan, they know just about every detail and differences.

I've been in and out of my office typing this, so I hope it makes since. Also, I probably left out a lot more info that I've gotten. So if there something that you're wondering I might have an answer. In addition, sorry for the run on sentences and any other errors, I dont have time to read over and make corrections.

Oh, my contact at the US office said she would ask Larry (which I'm assuming is the old owner, now the creative director) a couple of other questions that I had that they didn't know the answer to.

I meant to add that the Asian contact acted like he regretted telling me that the OP523ti were being made outside of OP; even though I knew already. I think he got the vibe that I didn't like that fact. So he wouldn't commit to weather the same deal was going on with the SunSet and others, All though at the beginning he did insinuate that that was the case aswell.

When I get finished with my orders with him, and if he's okay with it, I'll let you know his email address. Also, if they's something specific you'd like me to ask him, let me know, and I'll ask him tonight.

Oh,see everything is popping up in my memory now. I did ask my US contact about the actual colors of the lenses. They said that its true that the Sunset store more than likely does have files on the original orders. They said however, that doesn't mean that they will ever be able to 100% duplicate the colors. They said they're to many variables at play; the mixture of the colors, the mass production, type of glass, time in tint, the temp of the tint, etc. They said that the originals were 100% custom. They said it would be impossible to duplicate it exactly especially after all these years. They said they specifically remember David Schulte and Larry discussing that the 2009 release the red was to deep and saturated. They said that one of them said that the time that the lenses were in the tint/dye should have been shorter.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back