Fight Club Tyler Durden T-shirts?

Hey guys. These pics were given to me by itsalwayssunny when I asked him what he thoughts about the kinison tomato red lenses. As you can see in the behind the scenes pic of pitt, the level of the tint is not so light and does appear close to the tomato red colors. Also one thing we have all failed to recognize that I just thought of is that the movie was shot on film and all comparison shots of the kinison red and every other red have been of images taken digitally with iPhones and such. Film compared to digital looks really different and not as high def as digital. What do you guys think?View attachment 374299View attachment 374300 The image on the left is a comparison of kinison red and tangerine

- - - Updated - - -

OB2, the lighter orange color looks a lot like the color used in the aeros and sunset worn in the film

I really do believe the Kinsion Red 523's I have is the exact color used in the movie. They came from the owner of OP and was according to them created for use in the movie but the owner took them for his private collection and never used. Now I can tell these sunglasses are either brand new or perfect mint for 1990's.

- - - Updated - - -

I think your pic of Brad kind of proves it.

- - - Updated - - -

And yes I am aware OP could be lying to me but I do know these glasses are mint / brand new which makes me happy.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg It's obvious they appear different in film than in candid shots

Oliver peoples says the the anti reflective coating thy put on their sunglasses lenses is basically polarization. They offer polarized lenses which significantly reduce the glare and relection

Oliver peoples says the the anti reflective coating thy put on their sunglasses lenses is basically polarization. They offer polarized lenses which significantly reduce the glare and relection

I have lenses from OP that are polarized. It reduces the reflection but only at stuff you are looking at. The example they use is they have an image beneath like a mirror surface and with the lenses you can see the image.

It doesnt reduce the physical reflection from the sunglass lens itself to a third person observer. I think they may have misunderstood the question.

Yea I figured that. So then I'm pretty sure that the color we're seeing in the movie is the result of the movie being shot in film and the different lighting set up

- - - Updated - - -

My coral lenses were not any special lense. They were the same polycarbonate scratch resistant plastic that is used to this day. The pics above were taken in doors using a handheld camera with a flash.

It does. Thanks for that.
I believe the conclusion I came up with, after about 2 weeks looking, is that every pic the color comes off looking different; I'm assuming because of the amount of light. In some the look maroon in some the look burnt orange and some the look on the pink side. The only way of finding out for sure is to ask Pitt himself, and heck he probably don't even know.

Let me ask you all something:
Would you rather have the color it looks on film (in glasses and jackets), or the color it actually is in real life?
It's kinda like the Wizard of Oz crew used Maroon shoes because on film they came across bright ruby red. However, all the replicas, and everybody that wants some get bright ruby red, not the true color.... hahaha I'm not comparing Tyler to Dorothy, by no means, just the actual color compared to the film color.

It does. Thanks for that.
I believe the conclusion I came up with, after about 2 weeks looking, is that every pic the color comes off looking different; I'm assuming because of the amount of light. In some the look maroon in some the look burnt orange and some the look on the pink side. The only way of finding out for sure is to ask Pitt himself, and heck he probably don't even know.

Let me ask you all something:
Would you rather have the color it looks on film (in glasses and jackets), or the color it actually is in real life?
It's kinda like the Wizard of Oz crew used Maroon shoes because on film they came across bright ruby red. However, all the replicas, and everybody that wants some get bright ruby red, not the true color.... hahaha I'm not comparing Tyler to Dorothy, by no means, just the actual color compared to the film color.

Maroon you sure? I have seen the actual screem used slippers when the Hollywood exhibit was here which also had the Fight Club stuff. I swore those shoes were red.

- - - Updated - - -

Yea I figured that. So then I'm pretty sure that the color we're seeing in the movie is the result of the movie being shot in film and the different lighting set up

- - - Updated - - -

My coral lenses were not any special lense. They were the same polycarbonate scratch resistant plastic that is used to this day. The pics above were taken in doors using a handheld camera with a flash.

Still wonder if they coupld make no reflection lenses.

Also speaking of color, a good point of reference is Brad Pitts hair. Look at the shading difference in some of the shots you posted. With the filter his dirty blonde looks like a brown black.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and to answer OB Question. I want the exact real life lens which I believe I have with the Kinison red.

Aj I think Ob meant the ruby slippers from the wizard of oz were maroon. I also would live to know if xmart really does have one of the frames from the film

Not sure why there is such an interest with the no reflection lenses. In 6 of the 10 pics danman posted there is a reflection. In fact the coolest image of them where he's clipping the newspaper articles has quite a reflection. To answer the question of "how they look vs actual" I am interested in how they look on the screen. And it's my opinion that danmans coral lenses were spot on. They have the thrift store/old man tint feel vs a stop sign red jacket and Halloween glasses.

Aj I think Ob meant the ruby slippers from the wizard of oz were maroon. I also would live to know if xmart really does have one of the frames from the film

He does Smirking Revenge confirmed it. He has track pants, 523, the fur coat, and some other items. Have you tried reaching out to Xmart?

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure why there is such an interest with the no reflection lenses. In 6 of the 10 pics danman posted there is a reflection. In fact the coolest image of them where he's clipping the newspaper articles has quite a reflection. To answer the question of "how they look vs actual" I am interested in how they look on the screen. And it's my opinion that danmans coral lenses were spot on. They have the thrift store/old man tint feel vs a stop sign red jacket and Halloween glasses.

Different opinions I suppose. I think the real life jacket color and 523 color is cool and not Halloweenish at all. Really happy I had my jacket painted matches perfectly.

Steve, mine do come off as a bit orange in that pic but you're right, my lenses were a very subdued rose color which were very wearable. I totally agree with what you're saying about the stop sign red costume look. What I mean about the reflective is that I thought maybe the lenses could've had an anti reflective coating so the wearers eyes could be more clear instead of the reflection bouncing back at you but I'm thinking that that has a lot to so with the level of the tint. The darker the tint the more it reflects. All the different red colors I've seen have always appeared too red. Everyone always used to tell me my shades were pink or rose color and that they were ladies glasses. And I think that's what they were going for in the film. It's all perspective. I just can't wear a very intense red that you can pick up in a costume shop. That and I just can't handle seeing red. If they are anything like the blood red they're too intense for me

Steve, mine do come off as a bit orange in that pic but you're right, my lenses were a very subdued rose color which were very wearable. I totally agree with what you're saying about the stop sign red costume look. What I mean about the reflective is that I thought maybe the lenses could've had an anti reflective coating so the wearers eyes could be more clear instead of the reflection bouncing back at you but I'm thinking that that has a lot to so with the level of the tint. The darker the tint the more it reflects. All the different red colors I've seen have always appeared too red. Everyone always used to tell me my shades were pink or rose color and that they were ladies glasses. And I think that's what they were going for in the film. It's all perspective. I just can't wear a very intense red that you can pick up in a costume shop. That and I just can't handle seeing red. If they are anything like the blood red they're too intense for me

Well it becomes which came first the chicken or the egg type of question. Did Kaplan design all the costume and colors based off how it would appear on the filter used in the film? Or did he choose the costumes and such and then they happened to chose a filter? The interesting thing is the concept art by Kaplan for Tyler Durden has a very red jacket and red sunglasses.

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I chose that image cause you can see the concept art, Brad Pitt's face with 523, and the jacket.

Do you think those drawings were done before the costumes were created? Do you think the costumes were created from those images or they were drawn after they got the costumes. I think they got all the costume pieces and those drawings were made to show how they would go together. If not, then kaplan would be the original designer of the jacket.

I think the sketches jacket details the fit of the pants and the fit of the shirt are too exact to be conceptual art. Unless kaplan wanted to have everything look exactly like that from the get to. I honestly think the motocross shirt was a very small size possibly a children's large or adult small and that's why it creeped up pitt' s stomach like it did. I know this has been argued a million times, but I still think there is slight possibility that Kaplan did as mentioned in his interview find a very vintage style tough leather and then designed and created the xmart jacket. Then logan copied it and created multiples. That can explain the change in the collar and pocket details.

Last edited:
I did a green filter over the other shades Tyler Wears, and there just the basic orange lenses.

image.jpg

I made my op523 gothic rose, there cool and you cant see my eyes but i think the burnt orange is a cooler vintage look.

He does Smirking Revenge confirmed it. He has track pants, 523, the fur coat, and some other items. Have you tried reaching out to Xmart?

- - - Updated - - -

Different opinions I suppose. I think the real life jacket color and 523 color is cool and not Halloweenish at all. Really happy I had my jacket painted matches perfectly.

A bit random at this point in the conversation, but AJ, did you ever happen to find out the shoe polish used by chance? I'm still really interested in checking that out.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back