Fight Club Tyler Durden T-shirts?

Aj, how do you explain the type of leather used to make the xmart jacket looking like a true vintage 1970's leather? How do you explain that everyone seems to be able to point out that the leather used to make xmart's jacket in no way looks modern? If they replicated it, then they got a vintage leather to replicate it? Are you saying xmart's jacket wasnt even part of the production? Are you saying that somebody took pictures of the screen used jacket and had it replicated and past it off as a screen used jacket? Below I posted a bit from an interview with Michael Kaplan talking about Fight Club.

Brad Pitt
Fight Club
He's very easy going, very laid-back, he's fun, he's funny, loves clothes, loves to collaborate and he doesn't just want to wear anything. He is clear who the character is and that is important to me and we have a great professional relationship. In Fight Club, his character had no money, he was living in a house that didn't belong to him and his clothes couldn't be fancy. I decided he was going to be a person who gets great things in thrift shops, because I do that and I know they can be found. The problem was that we needed multiples – I couldn't just go to a thrift store and buy him a great leather jacket because of the fighting scenes and stunt doubles. We needed maybe 12 of the jackets. I made his clothes and found this old, hard leather base they used to make jackets out of in the 1970s – it's almost like car upholstery, not like the soft, buttery leather they use now. I had it dyed and I wanted it to be the colour of dried blood. We designed it and fashioned it after the way clothes were made then but it looked like it was from a thrift shop – we broke some buttons, tore the lining and put stains on it to make it look like something somebody wouldn't want anymore.

1) No one on these forums have the credentials to identify a leather or garment being from the 1970's. Especially not from a picture. I doubt Jonathan could even identify with it and he has been working with leather non-stop since age 7. Lets be real on that. It could only be 10 years old for all we know.

2) Vintage leather? You make it sound like cows and lambs (Lambs in this case assuming it is lambskin) evolved differently then how they were in the 1970's. Technically, you could take a leather and do whatever you want with it. I was in Jonathan's shop he has Mayhem Jackets he just made that he distressed and they look 30 years old.

3) What I am saying is we have two conflicting stories. On one hand, we have Jonathan stating that he was brought several jackets and from those jacket he created the Fight Club jacket. He has the credentials of working on 100's of massive production movies, he has the original pattern, and he has the original muslins worn by Brad Pitt during fittings. On the other hand, we have this jacket which if this is the case then Jonathan didn't create the jacket which would invalidate everything he said.

4) Regarding that "interview" Rupert stated the jacket was thin than the leather we use now. That interview states it was thick and tough like car upholstery which sounds like a calf skin. When I asked Jonathan, leather does not grow thinner over time because I had asked if my calf skins would become thin like a lambskin even with distressing and he said no.

xmart had this to say:

This is the jacket that was auctioned off by Fox over a decade ago and later sold by Screen Used.

It was great chatting to Rupert about it in person - when you are writing to each other - there is only so much you can talk - when you are chatting in person it's a 2 hour long conversation. Too much fun.

I currently am on my cell phone so wish I could write longer about it - will do when I'm on a proper computer.
Long story short after reading couple comments on the forum my plan was to return it to Fox for a replacement as it was sold as a "screen worn" jacket not a prototype as some claim to be. I have nothing to lose here as long as I have the official paperwork. However after studying the jacket a little longer in depth it looks like this may indeed be a screen used jacket and also the jacket worn by Pitt on the cover of W magazine.

Yea there are other jackets with slight variations - but this looks like a winner so far. I will look more in depth to this and will also take it to Jonathan Logan in my next LA trip to see what he has to say about it.
If there is one person who wants mystery to be solved - that's me guys.

Not making any assumptions - if it's proven correct - great I will keep it with rest of the outfits from the film in my collection. If not I'll have it replaced with one of the jackets currently at Fox or exhibit since it was officially auctioned as "screen used". So know that I have nothing to lose here - and not trying to prove something right if it's indeed wrong. Anything is possible. Certainly a fun journey awaits.

To be honest, I am not sure he has much of a leg to stand on because he isn't the original owner and well Fox is very money hungry and greedy company.

Also, where do we have evidence that it was screen used? What scenes do we see with those pockets? Also why do we believe it was on the cover of the W magazine?

- - - Updated - - -

Actually I have an easy way to put the nail in the coffin, ask what the measurements are of the jacket. If it was worn by Brad Pitt then it should match the muslin's measurements that Jonathan used to build the jackets with. It should have the exact same measurements.

Jonathan has Brad Pitt's exact measurements used in the movie. So that jacket should be those measurements.

I know for sure xmart's jacket wasn't in the film. But who knows if he can get it replaced if he has the paperwork and it was indeed sold to him as screen used. And it's more then obvious that the jacket pitt wore that was made for the film was made by logan

Last edited:
Kaplan never said thick, he said hard. But I'm done with this argument. I don't care anymore really. Everyone sees what they want. You have the belief that i cannot tell a stiff hard leather from the 1970's compared to a soft delicate modern day leather. Even Rupert mentioned the jacket was still soft and thin but STIFF. But again, I'm done with this argument. We can all believe what we want. Don't correct me of you're going to confuse the words thick and tough with hard.

Last edited:
I said thinNER not thin. It was only a few ounces less than my JAL. It has the same buttons and lining. It's made by Jonathan, trust me.

And can we not **** Jonathan off please. AJ, Dylan and I are customers who enjoy his services and are on good terms with him and we don't want to lose that friendly touch with him.

I have no idea. It was heavier than my Brown fight club jacket which is lamb but lighter than my older JAL which is apparently lamb as well. F@%ked if I know buddy. If my 24 season 8 jacket which is lamb is in between, I'll go with that. I always thought my first JAL was made of cow. It's very heavy. If my Red JAL is cow/calf then this one is too. its very close. I also think the jacket you have seen in Arizona is made of the same leather, this one isn't painted as much. And don't forget, we do see jackets in the film with white stitching and some in the film where the stitching has been painted over.

I would say definitely. I'm sure there was an original pair for inspiration, but multiples had to be made for the many takes of the fight scene where Brad gets covered in blood.

Brad-Pitt-Fight-Club-Shirtless-Bleeding-Scene.jpg

Yea, if I'm not mistaken, one was sold on the screen used website with the fur coat and track pants and another stayed with fox for the exhibitions. There also has to be two track pants if one is at the exhibit in arizona and the other was sold to private collector auctioned off by the studio. I believe xmart supposedly has one. So yea, multiples were made of the pieces which required extras for stunt men and also for scenes where they got damaged.

Soul, when you went to the Hollywood costume exhibit and saw the screen used jacket up close, how do you think it compared to the leather of this Jal jacket ?

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

I'm really digging the finish and texture of that jacket. It's labeled Italian calf skin and so is the fc button jacket but they look like completely different leathers on the site. Gonna find out about that

Soul, when you went to the Hollywood costume exhibit and saw the screen used jacket up close, how do you think it compared to the leather of this Jal jacket ?

The jacket on display wasn't as bright and in far poorer shape. Hard to tell much else just from pics.

Thanks man. I think about 3 years ago!? Can't remember the exsact date. It didn't take long to start ageing though.
I paid £220 for it and about 2 months later it went up to £320!
but they have modified it since I got it.

Guys I'm working on a new project... Toocan shirt ;)
stay tuned

Just a little experimenting when you add a little shoe polish to the sample of your current JAL jacket...

As you can see it darkens it... still need to add some brown undertones but it is hard on such a small piece.samplepol.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Now just imagine doing this to the full jacket. It would give that blood red look as seen above, but then you mix some more brown and blacks which gives the jacket that multi-colored look that the screen used has.

Soul can probably vouch for this as well but the screen used jacket has multiple colors in it.

- - - Updated - - -

My next step is going to be doing this to my entire JAL jacket... Stay tuned this is gonna get exciting.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back