Fight Club Tyler Durden T-shirts?

Why not find some better photos? Like a previous member who was attempting this shirt, the ones you've chosen are from three different eras of MX, so it is wildly inaccurate.

Sorry to sound so negative, but if you're gonna do it, you may as well do it right.

Here is a desktop screenshot of the art I currently have:

I still think the shirt used in the flick wasn't a custom tee.

I've made contact with the guy who offered somethin' similar in the '90s, too, so I'll followup on that (so there's no need to PM me).

Why not find some better photos? Like a previous member who was attempting this shirt, the ones you've chosen are from three different eras of MX, so it is wildly inaccurate.

Sorry to sound so negative, but if you're gonna do it, you may as well do it right.

Previous member didn't do his research, his images would not work they didn't have a high enough DPI. These aren't images you can just get off of google. Unless you steal the images, which the owner could then sue you, you are going to have to pay for images and that can get costly.

Two Methods of Pricing Stock Photos

Generally speaking, there are two main ways of licensing and pricing stock photography:

• Royalty-Free. This method simply charges by the size of the digital file. Once licensed, royalty-free photos can be used for almost any purpose. So a photo would cost the same whether it is used on a local flyer, the cover of Time magazine, or a major corporate advertisement. Advantages of this method include simplicity and flexibility. But there are disadvantages to Royalty-Free, too: the price doesn't take into account the photo's actual value to the buyer (which may be higher or lower than the rate reflects) and it is impossible to track where the photo has been published. (This can sometimes lead to embarrassing situations for the publisher!)
  • Rights-Managed. Rights-managed images are licensed for specific one-time uses, such as a particular book, magazine article, tourism brochure or advertising campaign. Some stock photographers and agencies have standardized calculators for determining rights-managed prices (common among large agencies like Getty Images), while others consider each use on a case-by-case basis (more common among independent photographers).

Originally when I started this project I was doing it for myself and had the right people in the right places to do a lot of it for free. -- Otherwise, it would have cost around 10,000 dollars or more. (Art fees + Photo Fees + Printing Fees, this is the killer a lot of places wanted 4,000 t shirt orders)

As a professional photographer, who's been published (in MX mags, no less), I am aware of that.

What I was trying to say was, maybe you could find some alternative images; 'cause, really, what made the screen-used tee unique was the fact it was a collage of vintage motocross photographs (and half of the photos you've chosen aren't).

As a professional photographer, who's been published (in MX mags, no less), I am aware of that.

What I was trying to say was, maybe you could find some alternative images; 'cause, really, what made the screen-used tee unique was the fact it was a collage of vintage motocross photographs (and half of the photos you've chosen aren't).

Right but it was a matter of cost, one was free vs having to pay for stuff. Originally I was doing it just for myself as a one time deal but now it seems a lot of people want it so I can gladly make more.

Aj,
Funny you'd be concerned about royalties and all that when it sounds like this is short run job like less than 40 pcs, I can see worrying about legal issues if you start selling 4K. BTW either way your coping some one else's art, so at any point they can write a cease and desist.
BTW even if you take the photos, if your showing any manufacturer logos your still liable, so if you photoshopped them out you should be fine.

I actually didn't look at the images close enoough to notice they were newer MX bike, I was just wondering about the main chest image with the orange behind.

I would just buy a few seventies MX magazines and start scanning. The images in FC shirt are NOT HIGH RES- they seem to have a posterized filter to them to make them look distressed or old looking.

just my thoughts and notes.

Aj,
Funny you'd be concerned about royalties and all that when it sounds like this is short run job like less than 40 pcs, I can see worrying about legal issues if you start selling 4K. BTW either way your coping some one else's art, so at any point they can write a cease and desist.
BTW even if you take the photos, if your showing any manufacturer logos your still liable, so if you photoshopped them out you should be fine.

I actually didn't look at the images close enoough to notice they were newer MX bike, I was just wondering about the main chest image with the orange behind.

I would just buy a few seventies MX magazines and start scanning. The images in FC shirt are NOT HIGH RES- they seem to have a posterized filter to them to make them look distressed or old looking.

just my thoughts and notes.

I am willing to bet you cannot be sued for doing something in a similar fashion using completely different pictures. Since its really just a collage, I don't think you could be sued unless you used the exact files.

For all we know they had a 70's collage motocross shirt and copied that using different pictures for the shirt. I know I have a 70's collage shirt of fish and other wildlife that I had bought to see how I would need to go about making this one.

Ok, I've been sitting on this for a LONG time.

motoshirtrepro.jpg

The shirt on the right is the real deal. The shirt on the left is my mock-up displaying a vintage moto pattern I put together by compiling multiple images which I have meticulously modified, color corrected, and in some cases even drawn from scratch to match the original shirt as closely as I can. I still have some adjustments and fine-tuning to do on it, which as I stated before I hope to complete later this year.

This is a repeating pattern and my pattern sample is super high res at 3840px X 3840px.

I kind of consider this my 'pet project' since the movie means so much to me. I want to make sure I get it as accurate as possible!

Now that's what I'm talkin' about, Willis. :thumbsup

Ok, I've been sitting on this for a LONG time.

motoshirtrepro.jpg

The shirt on the right is the real deal. The shirt on the left is my mock-up displaying a vintage moto pattern I put together by compiling multiple images which I have meticulously modified, color corrected, and in some cases even drawn from scratch to match the original shirt as closely as I can. I still have some adjustments and fine-tuning to do on it, which as I stated before I hope to complete later this year.

This is a repeating pattern and my pattern sample is super high res at 3840px X 3840px.

I kind of consider this my 'pet project' since the movie means so much to me. I want to make sure I get it as accurate as possible!

Later this year. I have a bunch of other projects lined up that is going to keep me busy for a while. I'm looking forward to seeing how your shirt turns out as well!

The shirt has been mailed and I have the tracking number.

Stay tuned should arrive in the next few days coming via UPS Ground.

And just to give you guys an idea of the style and resolution, here is a sample crop of the pattern. (Actually, this isn't even at full resolution, photobucket knocked it down a bit.) I wanted to give it that old school, grainy mis-registered offset 4-color process look. :cool

Again, this is still a WIP.

finalpatternsampleWM-1.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back