Anyone see Sherlock Holmes yet?

rocketeer25

Sr Member
Being a huge fan of Sherlock Holmes (even visted 221B Baker Street on a quick trip to London), I'm eager to see the new movie. My local paper trashed it, but I've read other favorable reviews.

Has anyone here seen it yet? Keeping this thread spoiler-free, can you give me a simple thumbs-up or thumbs-down? I'm trying to find time for me and the Mrs to run out and see it...

I shall likely watch it i've not read anything about it only seen the trailer but i'm not holding out much hope for a good Holmes movie, looks like a Hollywood action flick.
Give me Basil Rathbone or Jeremy Brett any day.

Being a huge fan of Sherlock Holmes (even visted 221B Baker Street on a quick trip to London), I'm eager to see the new movie. My local paper trashed it, but I've read other favorable reviews.

Has anyone here seen it yet? Keeping this thread spoiler-free, can you give me a simple thumbs-up or thumbs-down? I'm trying to find time for me and the Mrs to run out and see it...

I was going to go today, but things changed, so it may be Monday when I watch it. My paper thought it was only OK. But I've this movie on a few people's top 10 for the year. So the majority might be a love it or hate it type.

I'm sure I'll end up watching it, but the trailer really put me off.

I got the Brett Holmes complete DVD set for Christmas, very happy with that. :)

Yeah, I was like...eh. It was alright, but I expected more. What that was I don't know, but I didn't feel like I got it.

Scott

Saw it last night. The first forty minutes or more feel very flat. The banter between Holmes and Watson should really pop - on paper it probably does but filmed...I don't know. It didn't come alive, somehow. Some nice flashback conceits and the odd bit of camera stuff but a lot of very static scenes, too. When the tension starts ratcheting up after Rachael turns up, it becomes more fun.

It is very much set up for a sequel, which I'll see, but I kind of hope someone other than Ritchie directs it.

I could not get myself to go see Avatar, so I went to this instead, it was alright, but not something I would see again, or buy on DVD.
I was expecting better.:thumbsdown

You'd have enjoyed Avatar more, seriously. I keep saying it - yes, it's daft as hell, but by god it's entertaining.

Holmes really is kind of flat. I was really hoping to like it a lot, too. It doesn't live up to the trailer. :(

This was an alright film. Not Richies best, but definately not the worst. There were some good moments with watson and holmes bantering and when they would show you how holmes was uncovering clues and whatnot.

I shall likely watch it i've not read anything about it only seen the trailer but i'm not holding out much hope for a good Holmes movie, looks like a Hollywood action flick.
Give me Basil Rathbone or Jeremy Brett any day.

Totally agreed. A little too much Kung Fu Holmes for my liking.

I'll probably still see it though.

saw it and it was little bit of a let down :unsure Not that it was bad... just not very good, if you know what I mean

That's kinda what I felt about it. I figured it wasn't going to be a cinematic masterpiece, but rather a loud, explosive, don't think about it kinda movie.

I was thoroughly entertained by it, but at the same time, it was one of the worst movies I've seen all year.

Wife wants to see it.
Looks like they dumbed down the material and made something more along the lines of "The Mummy".

I'm guessing there isn't much intellectual deductive reasoning in the film.

We just got back from seeing it and I was rather neutral about it. I've seen worse but I've seen much better as well. I'd rent it on DVD but I don't know if I would recommend anyone go pay full price to see this.

Wife wants to see it.
Looks like they dumbed down the material and made something more along the lines of "The Mummy".

I'm guessing there isn't much intellectual deductive reasoning in the film.

It is a brawny sort of film but it is not "The Mummy"'s level of boy's own adventure.

As for deduction, I was a little surprised there's as much as there is.

It's very funny, by the way. But that doesn't save it.

I saw it not realizing I was paying to see a Guy Ritchie film. :cry

I hope Robert Downey Jr's track is cleaned up for the blu-ray release, but visually it will never look good blu-ray. I can't tell if it was the CGI that just didn't scale right, but some scenes were in focus, other scenes weren't. So it wasn't a soft focus for effect, it was just inconsistent.

Jude Law is excellent as Watson, and I liked Holmes and Watson's chemistry.

-DM

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back