1/72 Proteus from Crow's Nest Models

Carson Dyle

Sr Member
Fellow Proteus nut Drew Huffman, the man largely responsible for this kit, was kind enough to forward me the first casting out of the gate to build as a sample piece. The following build log will give those interested a chance to see the model come together (for those not familiar with the subject, this is the experimental submarine featured in Fantastic Voyage).

The parts a crisply molded – and there are a lot of them...

c1.jpg

c2.jpg

After a small amount of sanding and puttying (the latter to fill in a couple of small bubbles on the window frame) the hull halves were given a medium coat of grey primer.

c3.jpg

The halves are designed to sandwich together so the top can be removed for a better view of the interior. Prep work continues, but this gives you some idea of where I'm at on Day One of the build.

c4.jpg

Still a little puttying and sanding to do, but she's off to a good start.

c5.jpg

For display purposes, the kit includes a pair of support pieces like those seen in the film’s miniaturization sequence. As an option I also drilled a small hole in order to accommodate an aluminum rod (not included with the kit).

This model was a labor of love for Drew. The result, I think it’s fair to say, is the most accurate version of the subject produced to date. Proteus fans will not be disappointed.

For additional info re: where to order got here…

http://www.needfulthings.net/host/crowsnest/catalog/index.php

Stay tuned for additional updates.

Not into the subject matter.....but that doesn't matter
it's a beautiful looking kit, and looking well engineered
to say the least!!:love:thumbsup

Beautiful!
I've been waiting for an accurate and decent scaled kit for years!
Thanks for posting.

It's not sold out; they haven't even gone on sale yet.

Not sure when Drew is planning on taking orders. I've just been asked to build the "demo model," but I'll post a heads-up here once they go on sale.

As for the price, I don't believe that's been determined.

I'll post update pix soon.

Rough test-fit of the interior parts...

p4.jpg

p5.jpg

p6.jpg

Hull finish is Tamiya Pure White straight out of the rattle-can. I built up a fairly thick base coat because I intend to buff out the surface with polishing abrasives and I don’t want to accidentally sand through the finish.

p7.jpg

p8.jpg

Still futzing around with those little "intake discs" on the lower hull. They were originally molded directly on the hull, but I screwed them up when prepping the surface. Should be easy enough to scratch new ones.

I'll post another update next week.

Wow. Looks good. I used to have the cheapy vacuum formed Lunar Models version-six pieces as I recall. But then that would be like comparing the Kenner AT-AT to an MR AT-AT.

I warned Drew when I accepted this gig that my progress would be subject to work and family demands, and boy have there been a lot of those lately.

Not that I'm complaining! :)

At any rate, work on the Proteus continues (albeit slowly), and I'll post an update as soon as I have something half-way interesting to show.

one of my favorite ship!!
I hope to see your post soon!!!
If it's possible could you send me parts size, I hope to find some time to do it in full scratch...

The bad news: The test build depicted here went south and was abandoned due to outgassing resin (no way to salvage a resin kit once it starts sweating on you).

The good news: The Proteus kit is being bumped up to a larger scale, with one of the most experienced and well known garage kit producers in the biz handling the casting chores.

The larger scale will make the model A LOT easier to build, because at 1/72, some of the edges were paper thin.

Drew has his hands full with his full-time gig, but this remains a labor of love for him, and the last time we spoke he'd made quite a bit of progress.

I'll drop him a line and see what's cooking. Stay tuned...

Rob, don't you have a HUGE version of this ship? I have a memory of seeing a photo of a large Proteus in a display case... I thought it was from your collection. Just curious.

Alan

Don’t know if it qualifies as “huge,” but here are a couple shots of my build-up of the old Lunar Models Proteus (patterned by Jeff Wargo and Mike Evans). I estimate the scale to be somewhere between 1/32 and 1/35.

Proteus6.jpg

Proteus1.jpg

Proteus2.jpg

Proteus3.jpg

Rick Teskey made a fiberglass RC version of the Proteus that was close to studio scale... perhaps that's the one you're thinking of.

No no, THAT'S the picture I remember... and yes, I guess "huge" isn't exactly right. But it's absolutely stunning! That's for sharing. Always find your work inspiring.

Alan

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back