JAWS- Hoopers shark tracker prop info and discussion

ob1al

Sr Member
I have been looking into Hooper's shark tracking device - you know the one, BLEEP-BLEEP-BLEEP...

chelustihdtvrip720px264.jpg

Here's one displayed at Jawsfest, I'm not sure if this is a screen used one or a replica:

56198756jawsfestdsc0600.jpg

The actual prop is made from a Vietnam-era Survival distress beacon:

bvdizkwbgkkgrhgohdejlll.jpg

These show up on eBay quite regularly, but ensure you get one with the plastic end cap - a lot have brass end caps and are therefore innacurate.

It looks like the propmasters painted the beacon from red to orange (possibly to reflect Spielberg's lack of the use of RED in the film, aside from blood) and created a new metallic label to go on there.

Aside from that, it's basically unaltered from the real-world item.

And now, info shared, a request - if any photoshop wizards want to recreate the label, that would be a great service to anyone trying to replicate this for their collections.

Not sure what it actually SAYS on there - thoughts?

SEA FLASHER, maybe...?

Or perhaps SPU Flasher - as in, Sonar Pulsating Unit or Sonar PUlse...?

Maybe someone's eyes here are better than mine.

Did I mention a photoshop replica of the foil label would ROCK? I suck at photoshop...

Al

Here's yet another screencap which imight aid in the quest:

I don't now think the third letter is a 'U' as it has a line on top.

Could use some extra input here please!

I took a quick shot at it... I think its probably pretty close...
Called it the SEA FLASHER Easy enough to change if you find the real name :)

200 dpi JPEG

flasher.jpg

Ha Ha...

I guess you can try to print it on a shiny stock of some kind for the sticker.. Wonder where you do that?

Is the flasher part just a standard fishing flasher?

It says NEO-FLASHER and that is the stock color and label. Here is the stock info from the label on the back:

MODEL NO: SDU5/E
SERIAL NO: 6900
TYPE: LIGHT, MARKER, DISTRESS
CONT NO: DSA-400-73-C-4325
FSN 6230-067-5209
NEO-FLASHER NO HOLLYWOOD, CAL
US

Doubt the company is still in business, haven't checked though. You can find them for less than $30 if you watch the 'bay or browse through the ol' google.

Awesome thread, Al! I'm working on finishing one of these, too.

These show up on eBay quite regularly, but ensure you get one with the plastic end cap - a lot have brass end caps and are therefore innacurate.

They all have the brass cap on top of the battery; but most are missing the plastic cap... I'm having my buddy "print" one (via rapid prototyping).

It looks like the propmasters painted the beacon from red to orange (possibly to reflect Spielberg's lack of the use of RED in the film, aside from blood) and created a new metallic label to go on there.

The one I own is orange, luckily. But it still needs to be painted, so the trim 'round the lens is no longer black.

Nice work!

Thanks for th excellent info!

Most i have seen don't have that label though. Perhaps it was pasted over or worn away?

Someone redo that photoshop label, quick! LOL!

CTF - yup, I've never even seen one with that edge painted or coloured anything other than black, and I have been looking.

Maybe the orange colour with that trim also orange was only stock for a limited time then?

Most will need repainted though, I think.

And the example in the for sale link has an entirely different label and name...confusing!

Al

******, just noticed that for sale one DOES indeed have an orange rim.

Possibly not painted then.

But the label is wrong.

Can anyone find a real one with the NEO-FLASHER label online anywhere?

The ACR/4F is too long by a few inches....the NEO-FLASHER branded SDU-5/e looks to be more accurate, plus I have seen them with the accurate foil label.

OK, cool.

I bought this one:

bvdizkwbgkkgrhgohdejlll.jpg

So I will have to rework it and add the label.

Where has my skilled photoshop friend gone..?:)

There's a surplus shop not too far from here, he had a couple of boxes of these last year when I was there...all different brands if I recall correctly. I'll try and head out there after Christmas and see what he's got. If I can find an accurate label one, I'll get it and scan the label in 300dpi for everyone.

Fantastic, cheers.

So, these remind me of the old days and the search for Indy's satchel. The MKIV were prodiced by several different firms, as I recall. Military issue. So to with this particular prop.

The same design made by a few different manufacturors.

In the words of Quint, 'Nothing;s easy, is it?'.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back