Star Trek TMP Dry Dock Studio Model Restored by Ed Miarecki

DS Operative

Sr Member
I ran across this article and thought it was just too incredible not to share. This may belong in the studio scale forum, but I thought it might get more exposure here. I wasn't sure if I should put in the main prop forum or not, and felt safer here... anyway.... there are some incredilbe and beautiful pictures of the Big E in this guys garage... and the pics are HUGE, hope you have a fast connection!

This guy was able to obtain the original shooting model of the refit TMP Enterprise and Dry Dock and restored the entire thing in his garage. The model is as big as a car, it's enormous. There are shots of the Enterprise in the Drydock, and the Drydock empty & by itself, with lights on, him posing and standing full upright in the drydock, etc... And like I said, the files are huge. It deserves a look. I only wish there was more detail documented about the restoration process. Regardless, you're gonna' love the pictures.

Enjoy!

Link:
http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=18643

Last edited:
Fantastic! I remember wanting to build small scale version for my Enterprise model when I was a kid. Way too ambitious for me.

I believe it's the same dry dock featured in The Wrath of Khan as well, no? Oddly enough, I just finished watching STII - The Wrath of Khan and was thinking about the dry dock when I found your post. Didn't realize just how huge that sucker was.

Leif

Correct, all the dry dock footage in Trek 2 was stuff shot for TMP. I think there might have been one slightly longer shot used in TWOK that got cut down in TMP, but no new drydock footage was shot.

The studio model for the drydock was modified by ILM to become the drydock for the Excelsior class Enterprise B in Star Trek Generations. The pre-restored pictures show pretty well much of the work that ILM did to modify the model for use with the Excelsior studio model (the model built for Trek III, modified for Trek VI and then to become the Enterprise B).

Nice to see the dock back in its original configuration.

Good stuff! I restored the Mckinley Station for Adam. He is a GREAT fella!

Went from:
P1050653.jpg

to this:
P1070892.jpg

P1070896.jpg

Greats pix! Thanks for the link.

And, is that the original Enterprise filming model included in some of the drydock shots? I ask because it looks different in some areas.

The bridge area decks have changed, details on the inner nacelles are also different and the reaction control thrusters appear 300% bigger than on the Christies shots. I'm no great Enterprise expert but I've loved the ship since I first saw it in 1979, so I know when things are a bit "off".

If the Enterprise is being restored, I'd love to see that documented.

Is there any more info out there about this?

Thanks

Greats pix! Thanks for the link.

And, is that the original Enterprise filming model included in some of the drydock shots? I ask because it looks different in some areas.

The bridge area decks have changed, details on the inner nacelles are also different and the reaction control thrusters appear 300% bigger than on the Christies shots. I'm no great Enterprise expert but I've loved the ship since I first saw it in 1979, so I know when things are a bit "off".

If the Enterprise is being restored, I'd love to see that documented.

Is there any more info out there about this?

Thanks

If you read the article they note that the Ent model used is, in fact, the one built for Phase II; the aborted '70's TV series that would eventually become TMP. :)

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back