x-wing question

Based on all the information that I've been able to find (including pictures and some old posts on this forum) the original "1/24" SS Red 2, 3 and 5 hero models survived and were used in Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. The Red Leader "hero" model was never seen again after the first movie; some have speculated that it was given away as a gift (like a Y-Wing was) or lost.

There is photographic evidence that Red 3 was used as "Red 5" for a single Degobah shot where the ship is floating above the swamp, heading towards Yoda and Luke. If you examine closeup pictures of Red 3 taken after the movies were made, you can see that cutouts were made where the landing gear would be (thank you Nwerke). None of the original X-Wing models had those cutouts, and you can see in those same pictures that they were later covered over with sheet plastic. That was the only "bluescreen" shot. All the others used the life size X-Wing prop.

The fifth stripe on the Red 5 model was painted over for ROTJ (to look like another Red 4), and the model was weathered even more. It can be seen in the background during some of the cockpit shots before the battle of Endor.

I have seen a picture showing at least 3 MPC X-Wings in the Lucasfilm warehouse, presumably used for ROTJ. But I doubt they were used for explosions because they are too small (scale explosions do not look realistic if the models are too small). However, there is a picture of the remains of a larger scale pyro (with unusual red markings) presumably used in ROTJ. At least one MPC X-Wing seems to have had lights installed on the engines (or at the very least transparent red sheet plastic!)

As for the large "Red 3" X-Wing, all sources that I've seen say that it was built for a scene where Luke meets up with Millenium Falcon over Tatooine, but the scene was dropped for the film. I had never heard that it was used in the film, although there is a shot of a "Red 3" opening its wings.

wow good stuff, thanks for that.

so are there pics of the MPC models about? I'm guessing that they were not documented that much.

Dan

That would be really fun to see--with some good paint ref, a guy could pick up a common, easy to find kit and make a decent studio replica. Pretty sweet.

Have been looking into this a little more.

I now have two of these kits, one a later release than the other. They are the same basic kit but one has raised panel lines and the other engraved.

So anyone have any thoughts on which kit ILM would have used. I would say it would have been the raised panel line version (although I cant find any information on when the kit was re-tooled)

It is hard to tell from the pics so as evet all thoughts welcome.

Many thanks,

Dan

But then again, I don't know for sure. Looking again at that ILM MPC, it does look like it might be scribed... anyway, I'm sure someone here will give us a definitive answer. All I know is I got a raised MPC for Christmas '78 (the best Christmas present ever - apart from the V3 I got for Christmas 2008), and then a scribed one in a ROTJ-decorated box some years later.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back