Plastic-Safe Paint Remover?

Grey

Sr Member
I did my own research on this, but I thought I would ask here to see if there's any experts around with personal expirence. As the title suggests I need paint thinner that wont harm the plastic underneath the paint, it's ABS plastic if that makes a difference.

I've heard people suggest Goo Gone but some have said not to use it, others have said Dot 3 Brake Fluid works wonders. I just want to cover all my bases. This is for a prop so I guess it fits in here, dunno if there's a proper section for it.

If you are taking paint off an item you may want to try Easy-off oven cleaner or a cheap knock off brand. I have always had good luck placing the item needing paint removed into a plastic bag (zip-lock) and thoroughly spraying a heavy layer of cleaner foam all over it. Depending on the paint type leave it soak overnight for best results. I have found that flat blacks and whites are the hardest to remove. After soaking run the item under hot water and scrub with an old toothbrush. If any paint remains repeat the process. This works great to remove most paint or chrome on plastics.

-John

Testors Easy Lift-Off (ELO).

Have you read the MSDS on this stuff? It's just as bad as many of the other strippers, possible liver issues? It's certainly not horrible but it's not happy camper safe-safe stuff either...

http://www.testors.com/media/document/MS.F522142.092006.pdf

Ditch those other toxins

Easy Off or generic oven cleaner is almost all lye, lye is no more toxic then many other everyday things and even approved for processing many foods...

It is caustic and an irritant in high or pure form but not crazy toxic, certainly no worse then many other strippers...

Personally I like Castrol Super Clean sold by the gallon cheap at Wal Mart in the automotive section as a cleaner/degreaser...

In all cases wear protection and observe safe procedures...

Last edited:
ok, ok. I was only being light-hearted. Yes, it's a toxic chemical. Don't drink it like Kool-Aid. That being said, I'm merely stating that it's easier than anything I've ever used, and it is especially wonderful for styrene plastics. I just disagree with the other ideas I hear when there is a perfect product (rarely mentioned) waiting in line that is so fast-acting, easy to use, and therefore safe and effective if used correctly. It won't even stink up a room if left open.

I'm not going to argue that it's not toxic. The liver issue was labeled under chronic overexposure, and I might have a reason to strip something once every 5 years, so I'm probably not in that category. I can't really think of any compound used to build models that won't do that to you with chronic overexposure, unless we're talking snap-tites. How many of you out there have used lacquer thinner to clean paint off your hands??? Probably not a great idea either. That cold sensation you get isn't evaporation -- it's the chemical penetrating your body.

And if we're going to accept a certain level of toxicity in our hobby, I promote it because it is part of a product line (Floquil) that has sadly gone out of existence and replaced by what my experience has deemed to be inferior products (Testors Model Master) in comparison. I don't know why most of the Floquil/Polly-S line was so decimated after the merger in the late '90s but it has my performance vote over what they call paint now -- and ELO has managed to saunter on because it does such a good job.

It hardly takes very much to strip paint either. You just brush a little on the surface, wash it off after a few minutes, and viola. Hence, you're not outside dunking your model in a frothy container, fumigating a room with your little project, or potentially ruining your surroundings with drips that are caustic to other types of surfaces (brake fluid). ELO is pretty neutral to almost everything it touches (except paint and decals) and can be washed off whatever surface easily.

I just disagree with the other ideas I hear when there is a perfect product (rarely mentioned) waiting in line that is so fast-acting, easy to use, and therefore safe and effective if used correctly. It won't even stink up a room if left open.

You might want to try the Castrol Super Clean I suggested, dirt cheap (a big plus for me) at Walmart (about $15 for a gallon) and has very little smell as well... I use it indoors all the time... Just drop the part in and let is soak for a few and the paint literally falls off... I usually put the parts in a ziplock and then put in a few cups of the stuff and remove the air from the bag, kinda like a shrink wrap around the part and let it soak that way, or soak in a small bowl... It's not instant but if you give it a little time to work it's nearly painless...

It will soften some plastics if left for too long but I have found soaking the part in clean clear water fixes that back up...

And the biggest reason I like it is that I can get it at any Walmart at anytime for cheap... Parts stores sell it in 5 gallon buckets for about $45, so I have used it to degrees and strip larger automotive parts as well... Multi purpose with the degressing action, and it will also remove paint from concrete ;) It will start to dissolve pavement if left on too long so be careful if you use it on your asphalt driveway...

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back