Harry Dresden Costume

Some pointers re: boots.

Check out www.sheplers.com for cowboy boots. They usually have a sale this time of year, so you could probably get 'em fairly inexpensively.

I'd go with a riding heel rather than a walking heel (that's a heel that angles in from your ankle to the ground, rather than a straight down heel), just because (A) they look cooler and (B) I think that's what Harry would wear. :)

If you intend to wear boots on a regular basis and want something that'll be comfortable from day 1, I recommend Ariat as a brand. I've had four pairs of boots from them and they all wear like a dream. They have a bunch of different styles, too.

I've got this pair of Ariats. It'd probably work just fine for a Dresden boot. http://www.sheplers.com/mens/ariat_distressed/030041.html.

You could also go with this kind if you want a slightly "thinner" overall feel to the boot. http://www.sheplers.com/mens/ariat_smooth_leather/030048.html. The second one, as you'll see, has a more pointed toe, and what appears to be a slightly shorter heel.

Last edited:
Based on the books, I beleive the thing to do is put the duster on and then get dragged behind a car while on fire.

Another thing, eye wtinesses reall do suck. I swear I remember Harry donning a non BB cap at some point in the books and I thought he was wearing something fedoraesque at some point in "Welcome to the Jungle". But my memory is so bad I cannot even find the graphic novel in my vast 1800SF mansion. What The Heck.

I do not recall him wearing any kind of hat in Welcome to the Jungle.
I picked up the one that had them all in one and all the different cover arts. I'll try to remember to flip through it this weekend to make sure it wasn't on one of the covers, but I'm 99% sure during the story he didn't wear anything on his head.

Solo4114

I love Ariat boots and wear my one brown pair with my Marshall outfit on a regular basis (I do cowboy themed birthday parties for kids). I think I will probably go for the black pair as well.

I am trying to figure out how to post some of my old outfits (the Marshall being one).

Padawanlearner

Let me know what you find in your art collection. I am still probably going for a wide brimmed fedora just cuz I like the look of it, but I guess I have to get some of the graphic novels.

Cheers,

Sebastian

If you have your pictures on your computer you can sign up with a free site like photoshop, load on to the site and they will provide the proper text links so you can copy/paste them in to your post.

I looked through the graphic noval and is does show his coat and staff but no shield bracelet . At the back of the book is a collection of comic covers and he does not have a hat in any of them.

I just saw the shield bracelet on ebay yesterday, but it sold, thought it would be cool to do a HD costume at some point, I would love to do a full costume with Bob. Maybe have a bud dress as bob as well.

I just watched an episode of the series for the first time and saw Bob. Team outfits are great and think one from the series would be great.

I am basing mine mostly on the first two books, so Bob is just a skull or a red light. Spent the past two days in the snow (we got around 20") giving my new duster some age. What it needs more than anything is some sun bleaching.

I have found a few small trees that may give up a good staff (trying to find a decent oak tree to work with).

Pics to come as I figure out how to post.

Cheers

Sebastian

I realize DragonCon 2010 has come and gone (which I was not able to make it to this year).

One thing that should be noted is that, despite the cover images of the books, Harry is never described as ever wearing the hat shown on the covers. In fact, in book 12 (and I do not consider this a spoiler because it's such a trivial thing) he says flat out "I don't do hats".

Thanks for the comments.

I am going to put together this outfit for Dragon Con '10 as I have not seen anyone else in one. I do have plenty of skulls already due to a pirate entertainment business I have on the side.

Read the books if you get a chance.

Cheers,

Sebastian

I have group of friends that were planning on doing a group cosplay for DF. I had selected Michael Carpenter because all really need was the cloak. Can wear pretty much anything under it like tshirt and jeans. I also am the only one of the group with a replica of Excalibur/Amoracchius.

Sadly, about half of us could not afford the trip this year. Maybe next year...

We had the following planned:

Harry Dresden
Karrin Murphy
Michael Carpenter
Thomas Raith
Molly Carpenter

and we had 2-3 more people who had not yet settled on characters.

I'm doing a Dresden costume for OMGcon. My costume, as far as planning goes should have:

A Duster (normal canvas/oilskin, leather is way too much)

A single black leather glove (spoiler)

Staff (need to carve/chisel it soon)

Blasting rod (basically two foot length of sanded wood, stained a deep brown, carved with runes, and with the tip blackened by a fire)

Probably a white undershirt, dark green-ish pull over sweatshirt or long sleeved shirt, dark jeans, normal boots (Dresden seems to quit with western shirts and cowboy boots early on) No hat, he only occasionally wears a baseball cap, and I personally dislike them. The idea for the clothes comes partially from early on in Dead Beat, replacing the black fatigue pants with something more casual.

pentacle necklace and shield bracelet (shield bracelet only if possible) and maybe his force ring/rings.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm debating the grey cloak of the Wardens too.

Yes...I am a mighty necromancer bringing this thread back.
Been listening to the audiobooks, which reminded me of watching the series, and now I'm interested in props of this...of course.

Anyone ever successfully find/design any?

Threadicus Ressurectum!!

Lousy latin correspondence course.

Any pics to share of this costume build?

I'm working on one myself.

Below is a pic of my WIP from Retrocon in Nov of 2012 and below that my Caucasian Mountain Dog, Mouse, with whom I'm trying to figure out a way to get into shows. In the pic he's around 130 pounds, now around 150. Unfortunately they don't get as big as Mouse from the books, maxing out between 160-180 pounds. His ears came cropped but one is significant;y shorter that the other so still gives that "notch eared" feel from the book even though the book Mouse's ears are intact, big, and fluffy.

Currently trying to locate a leather duster, make a better staff with carving and blasting rod, and a better shield bracelet. I'm 6'2" so not as tall as Harry. I'm not a fan of cowboy boots, but he does wear hiking boots in the books so I went with those and a silk shirt which he wore on special occasions. My hair is much longer than his and so far only his dream self has a goatee, but I wasn't cutting the hair or shaving.

230050_4348433823328_1745376767_n.jpg

432122_10200550044807904_1563006516_n.jpg

Attachments

• 230050_4348433823328_1745376767_n.jpg
    230050_4348433823328_1745376767_n.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 257
  • 539190_3654751054510_2063756557_n.jpg
    539190_3654751054510_2063756557_n.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 124
I chose to go without a hat because in the books Harry repeatedly says he hates hats, even though most of the book cover art has him wearing a hat.

I did get recognized as Harry but about 25 people.

Here's a more recent pic of Mouse for size reference. I'm 6'2" and 180 pounds. Here, he's 150 pounds and still growing. They max between 160-180 pounds, not the 250 pounds in Cold Days...I guess the Foo dog heritage makes them bigger.

971906_10151602356225380_560519982_n.jpg

A little thread resurrection... fitting given the subject.
Harry Doesn't do hats! In the recently released Co-oop card game from Evil Hat Productions, there was a promo Kickstarter card (available on their website now I believe) That poked fun at this. The Artist most recognised for the book covers with Harry in the hat, Christian McGrath, even did cover art for the game showing Harry hatless for the first time.
Khor, Your Mouse is beautiful. Great look for the costume too.
Has anyone else worked on Harry specific items like rings, Blasting Rod and Staff? I'd thought of going the duster road myself, but I'd have to go canvas rather than leather, due to cost and climate.

Still working on upgrades and acquiring a leather duster. I'm 6'2", so shorter than harry, but still tough to find coats like this that fit me right.

I've added an oak blasting rod, but still need to add sigils to it. Added a shield bracelet, but not totally accurate so still looking to upgrade it as as well. Looking for rings. I've upgraded Bob from the styrofoam skull in the photo to a nice resin cast replica that looks much more real, though is heavier. Also added the black nylon back pack.

I did get to talk to Jim Butcher at his panel at Dragon Con. Apparently, we're the first people he's met that actually have a dog of the same breed as Mouse from the books: a Caucasian Ovcharka (Mountain Dog). Jim got a bit distracted and turned his panel into a Q&A to us about our Mouse. Apparently he's never actually seen the breed in person.

While walking around Dragon Con, I saw several other Dresdens, as well as a Nicodemus who was handing out small silver coins. It was pretty cool. Lol.

I'm one of the few people who likes the TV props over the book props for Harry. Especially the shield bracelet.
I too have the resin Bob skull, but never got around to painting it.
You can find official props on Jim's site http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/?ptype=Charms
Still working on upgrades and acquiring a leather duster. I'm 6'2", so shorter than harry, but still tough to find coats like this that fit me right.

I've added an oak blasting rod, but still need to add sigils to it. Added a shield bracelet, but not totally accurate so still looking to upgrade it as as well. Looking for rings. I've upgraded Bob from the styrofoam skull in the photo to a nice resin cast replica that looks much more real, though is heavier. Also added the black nylon back pack.

I did get to talk to Jim Butcher at his panel at Dragon Con. Apparently, we're the first people he's met that actually have a dog of the same breed as Mouse from the books: a Caucasian Ovcharka (Mountain Dog). Jim got a bit distracted and turned his panel into a Q&A to us about our Mouse. Apparently he's never actually seen the breed in person.

While walking around Dragon Con, I saw several other Dresdens, as well as a Nicodemus who was handing out small silver coins. It was pretty cool. Lol.

I do like some of the official Merch, but can't t stand how off some of it (and some people's home made items) are from the items in the books that have actual descriptions. The shield bracelet on the site is WAAAAY off from the description in the books, at least the later books where it's described as a braid of multiple metals and different types of metals for the shields. Same with many Bob skulls. Books describe it as a plain, bleached human skulls, but so many replicas are covered in runes.

I understand that cosplay and building a costume are to one's own ideals of the costume and character. It just bugs me personally and on a deep level when the descriptions are spelled out and there are MAJOR differences between that and the replicas made. It's one of my pet peeves.

As long as you like or love what you've made and are wearing tho, my opinion should mean little to you and I totally respect you for wearing/building it. Even if it makes me cringe on the inside. Lol.

Post up some pics when you get the chance!

If I was better built and not so gangly, I'd try a Thomas Wraith costume. But alas, I'm too thin.

I understand completely. That's why I can't watch the X-MEN movies or The Dark Tower.

I do like some of the official Merch, but can't t stand how off some of it (and some people's home made items) are from the items in the books that have actual descriptions. The shield bracelet on the site is WAAAAY off from the description in the books, at least the later books where it's described as a braid of multiple metals and different types of metals for the shields. Same with many Bob skulls. Books describe it as a plain, bleached human skulls, but so many replicas are covered in runes.

I understand that cosplay and building a costume are to one's own ideals of the costume and character. It just bugs me personally and on a deep level when the descriptions are spelled out and there are MAJOR differences between that and the replicas made. It's one of my pet peeves.

As long as you like or love what you've made and are wearing tho, my opinion should mean little to you and I totally respect you for wearing/building it. Even if it makes me cringe on the inside. Lol.

Post up some pics when you get the chance!

If I was better built and not so gangly, I'd try a Thomas Wraith costume. But alas, I'm too thin.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back