Harry Dresden Costume

sebastian

Any fans of the Dresden Files series out there?

I am thinking of putting together an outfit based on the books (haven't seen the TV series yet (any good?).

Has anybody done any work for this as the costume does not seem too difficult (duster, jeans, belt, cowboy shirt, staff, bracelet, amulet, skull).

Suggestions and examples would rock.

Cheers,

Sebastian

I enjoyed the TV series, but have not read any of the books. I know some work has been done on the TV series shield bracelet (which used an amulet against mental troubles), but I don't recall seeing anything based on the books.

There used to be great reference for Dresden props on Hamish Buchanan's website, but it seems to have been taken down and replaced with screen caps.

If you need a skull, Anatomical Chart Company has quite a selection.
http://www.anatomical.com/category.asp?c=28&bhcd2=1260496994

Thanks for the comments.

I am going to put together this outfit for Dragon Con '10 as I have not seen anyone else in one. I do have plenty of skulls already due to a pirate entertainment business I have on the side.

Read the books if you get a chance.

Cheers,

Sebastian

I really like the books but I never saw the TV series. It will be interesting to see what you come up with.

I have not watched the show but have read the books. I think the early Harry, pre leather duster, would be the way to go. If for no other reason then economics. A mantled cloth duster(Think drovers coat) is not cheap,,,unless you compare it to the same thing in leather.

You need a hat as well. I am trying to remember how it is described in the books. The covers all have him in a fedora, but it seems like he usually has a ball cap in the text. The fedora would be the better look. You can pick up a decent(cheap) bashable one from Burlington coat(They might be local, but a cheap felt fedora can be had that you can trim, shape and age)
I can't remember a specific description of the staff, but the blasting rod is amybe two feet with a wrist strap and runes up and down it. A neat touch would be a resin rod with interior lighting to show the runes.
For the bracelet, look up charm bracelets on the web. It reads like the bracelet is a chain with shield charms hanging from it. I did not(In a brief search) see a sheild, but I saw lots of stuff that looked close. Some Aztec calendars that would have looked pretty good. as well as arrows and other weapons that might fit the theme.

You want some business cards to hand out as well, that would be a great touch. The text on them is in the first book(maybe second?)

I might be wrong but I think the guy who wrote it, or maybe he just worked on it is a member here. Try the search.

Scratch that, just looked. Couldnt find the old thread. maybe that person will pop in the thread.

fuelish,

Yep, I'm going for a canvas duster rather than leather (saving the bucks for other stuff).

As for the hat, I am rereading the books to get some more details, but I am working on a wide brimmed hat (baseball cap as an addition).

Already got the business cards.

Just got to work out the woodwork.

I am going to have some fun weathering the duster and hat to give it that 'just been whupped up by a demon' look.

I will put out pics of the before and after weathering when I get the kit together.

Cheers,

Sebastian

Harry's look in the books is fairly similar to, say, the Shadow. The duster shouldn't be hard to come by. Hell, I've got one (Driza-bone). They aren't cheap in the sense of "Oh, I'll just spend $40 and get me a duster." The duster is gonna run you around $80-200-ish. David Morgan (guy who sells some Indy gear) sells them. Western wear places will sell them, too, most likely. Sheplers has 'em for $90. If you're only ever going to wear it costuming, then I wouldn't spend a ton of money on the duster. That said, they do make excellent raincoats, if a trifle...odd looking. I used to wear mine in high school (this was before things like the "Trenchcoat Mafia") and people called me "Darkman" from time to time.

Which brings me to the hat.

Harry's hat in the novels is NOT a cowboy hat. My sense is his hat is a fedora. But look at the book covers to figure it out. Most fedoras that you're gonna find will either be Indy replicas, or will be things like stingy-brims these days. I'd say try to find yourself a hat closer to The Shadow's. But look at the book covers to be sure. It's clearly a fedora of SOME kind.

Don't forget to bring a staff and blasting rod. ;)

As for the TV show, I watched it first (before reading the books) and I think it showed real promise. Typical that Sci-Fi would cancel it, of course, just as it was getting good. But hey, that's the Sci-Fi channel for ya. Gotta make more room for Giant Pig vs. Mutated Sloth in the budget.

The show is....loosely based on the books. There are definitely clear differences. Thing is, I'm not really sure that the books could be effectively translated to screen any other way. So, honestly, I was happy with the show (in retrospect) as a translation of the books. I wouldn't demand absolute 100% fidelity to the original material, under the circumstances.

There also seems to be no real specific mention of what the cowboy boots are like. I would go with a low heel boot with a pointy toe, in a dark color, with just basic stitching. I like rundown heels, lots of Stephen King will do that. You could use a fair amount of this costume to doa decent Roland, the Gunslinger.

I wonder if Jim Butcher will be at Dragoncon, mmmmm

the new book "changes" comes out in April 2010

Harry does not wear a hat in the books thats become a joke among fans and I think a on going one between Jim and the art dept

the TV show was nothing compaired to the books :unsure

some folks show up in costume at the book signings you should be able to youtube a few to see some different harrys

http://www.jim-butcher.com for more info on the books

Are you sure about the hat kodiakc? I know he says he puts on a ballcap, as he goes thru his dress prep before heading out for evil fighting, in at least one or two of the books.(I just started reading them in the last six months.) and I remember him talking about putting on a fedora, but I don't have the energy to search for the passage.

As far as it goes, many fans of the series will base the idea of Harry on a combination of the descriptions in the books and the cover art. If I saw a guy in a duster carrying a stick he would be less recognised than a guy in a duster with a stick, a floppy fedora, and a stick. (I still might not know who it was :) )

the books have a better feel then the tv series, lol, in the books he drives the blue beetle not an old ww2 jeep , but hey that's just me being picky. The books give a more graphic description a lot of times over what he carries . I will have to dig them all out and got through them again :)

I would say the books would be the better look. I loved the TV show and I've only read one graphic novel but from what I can tell the books/novel have a better description and in the show they really just had him look like a regular guy so I really doubt, unless you looked exactly like the actor, you'd really get anyone to catch on.

The book series is what I am basing my outfit on as a leather duster is out of my reach at this time. I am picking the outfit from the first two books (truth be known I have not finished the series, yea more new stuff to read).

One of my goals with this is to have pics taken with all the other wizard costumes at various cons. Love to have a Gandalf, Dumbledore, Dresden pic and pose the question ' Which one does not look like the others'.

I hope to get my duster soon to begin the weathering process on it. Black jeans and a dark/black cowboy style shirt along with black boots for basic clothing. I have a few hat blanks I am working on for a wide brim fedora looking hat, but my blanks are brown and will have to get a black one for the final version.

Business cards are ordered and I am wandering the forests around my home looking for a good staff and blasting rod combo.

Again, I hope to have the basic set done in January and have fun making the wooden items and hat after the holidays.

Anybody get an old VW for sale that could handle a drive to Atlanta next September?

Cheers,

Sebastian

Hey guys, I've read the Dresden Files books multiple times, and I'm almost positive that Harry Dresden never wears a fedora. Except on the covers of the books, which is pretty confusing.

Yea, having several friends who are authors and knowing that the pics on the covers are often off from the writer's image, I know there are differences. I am going for an outfit with some visual impact while still keeping within the guidelines of the books.

Best thing about costuming is that it is fun.

Cheers

Sebastian

Jim Butcher has done at least one Dresden graphic noval which may have some useable reference images of his gear. I will have a look when I get home as I can't remember how much details was included.

Just got a duster from Down Under Saddle Supply out of Colorado. New, stiff, and lacking character. It is supposed to snow this weekend, so I will begin natural weathering at that time. Currently removing some labeling and hemming it to just below knee length.

Cheers

Sebastian

Just got a duster from Down Under Saddle Supply out of Colorado. New, stiff, and lacking character. It is supposed to snow this weekend, so I will begin natural weathering at that time. Currently removing some labeling and hemming it to just below knee length.

Cheers

Sebastian

Based on the books, I beleive the thing to do is put the duster on and then get dragged behind a car while on fire.

Another thing, eye wtinesses reall do suck. I swear I remember Harry donning a non BB cap at some point in the books and I thought he was wearing something fedoraesque at some point in "Welcome to the Jungle". But my memory is so bad I cannot even find the graphic novel in my vast 1800SF mansion. What The Heck.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back