Pirates of the Caribbean SAO FENG'S CHART Map WIP FULL MAP CANVAS

the_eli

I was trying to find inspiration on what replica to make myself, and was thinking about the map used in Pirates of the Caribbean. I found a material that resemble long popsicle sticks and was thinking I could create a map with the circles being able to move like in the last film.

IF the moving parts ends up being too hard, I will still make one with the same materials used in the film. I was fortunate enough to meet one of the prop makers at Archives so I am hoping he can help.

What do you think?

Does anyone have a high rez scan? Picture?

Last edited:
Re: Pirates of the Caribbean Map

If no body gets to it before I'm able to, I have a large 16"x16" print of the map in an art book that I'll scan in at max resolution for you. It'll be a few days though as I need to go do it at my designer friend's place (my flat-bed isn't big enough).
In addition, if I remember correctly, for the film they actually had 2 versions of the map, one made of the bamboo flats and flexible so that it could be rolled up and then a solid version in which the solid center rings could rotate. It's one of those instances that rely on the audience's suspension of disbelief and the engineering impracticality is overlooked :)

If no body gets to it before I'm able to, I have a large 16"x16" print of the map in an art book that I'll scan in at max resolution for you. It'll be a few days though as I need to go do it at my designer friend's place (my flat-bed isn't big enough).
In addition, if I remember correctly, for the film they actually had 2 versions of the map, one made of the bamboo flats and flexible so that it could be rolled up and then a solid version in which the solid center rings could rotate. It's one of those instances that rely on the audience's suspension of disbelief and the engineering impracticality is overlooked :)

GOOOOOOD call buddy!!

I was thinking I could do the printing on the flats. My buddy has this large banner printing machine that has printed on plywood. I am wondering if I could double layer it where the rings are and create a moving mechanism. If the interest is there, i am sure they will be displayed rolled out than just rolled.

I will look out for the max resolution image.

This is a bamboo board. However, not rollable from a photo lab. I am assuming if I use the actual Bamboo flats, I will have the sew the edges

Forgot to add the photo

I also added a sample of bamboo and also a window shade made of bamboo that could make it workable. Any thoughts?

I think we're on the right track there, though, does anyone have access to production stills or have the blue-ray that they might be able to pull an image of the map in someone's hand to acquire the scale of the slats from?

Another member made a large image of stitched-together scans of the whole thing. It's somewhere on the RPF boards, probably in the Paper Props forum.

Wow! This is an awesome project. Good luck. Any way I can help let me know:)

Regards
TAZ

Me mate Richard aka ACME Brand made his!
Untitled-1.jpg

forkttc.jpg

You hit it dead on the head with the bamboo blinds, the original blinds used for the film maps, if memory serves, were from Target. Your main obstical is getting a clean and clear scan or image of the map. I believe only two unaltered original maps exist. All others were aged, cut up, altered for use...
The little details in the map are pretty amazing, all hand drawn. Even Micky Mouse is in there.

Glad I could help, I just found it on my hard drive and figured, hey..its pretty big, maybe someone else can use it. Not sure where it came from though

Unfortunately you will notice that the image is cut off on the right side. This is a great scan and I have already plotted the circle for a reduced version but for a full map it is missing parts.

This was scanned by a former member over at Keep To The Code. She was attacked by the old group that used to be on the boards and has never returned. She was a great asset to our boards. She was Jackalope and we called her Jackalope of all trades. She was vital in areas like identifying and giving us names to every single one of Jack's beads in each and every dangle.

I miss her help!!!! Alas she is gone and all the people that used to make that board great are gone as well!

<Oops! Did I just type that out loud?>

Unfortunately you will notice that the image is cut off on the right side. This is a great scan and I have already plotted the circle for a reduced version but for a full map it is missing parts.

This was scanned by a former member over at Keep To The Code. She was attacked by the old group that used to be on the boards and has never returned. She was a great asset to our boards. She was Jackalope and we called her Jackalope of all trades. She was vital in areas like identifying and giving us names to every single one of Jack's beads in each and every dangle.

I miss her help!!!! Alas she is gone and all the people that used to make that board great are gone as well!

<Oops! Did I just type that out loud?>

But why is all the rum gone!?

I found a printer, so I just need the ideas for sizing and also, since there has been quite the help, how many people would be interested.

I found the mechanism that would be added underneath and could (keeping fingers crossed) allow the circles to move in accordance to the scene in the end while still being able to be rolled.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back