Need some inexpensive Leather Vader boots ? Pics up- VERY HAPPY !

James Kenobi 1138

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've been on the lookout for a few years for a decent pair of black leather boots for my Darth Vader costume. I've been using the Halloween costume ones from day-one because they looked the part and were cheap at $35 from ebay.

I use 3" Lifts and originally bought the XL which is a size 13/14 (13.5 ?) because I needed the extra room due to how the lifts move my foot up the boot.

Most leather boots I've seen are $150-$300 and I just can't afford that for a costume I wear 2-3 times a year. But I really wanted something more durable and stronger.

Neither of these boots are screen accurate at all, but both are good alternatives for budget-minded Vaders.

Looking at ANH references pics I was surprised how round the toe is on the boots. I didn't look at ESB or ROTJ to see how these stack up.

I went with this one and plan to cut the harness off.

Regularly $130, now $69.99
153762_ts.JPG

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=578606

I almost went with these because they are more of a riding boot style. Yes, these are a western style, but it's really hard to find a western style with no decorative stitching. The toe shape is very similar to the other boot. The boot shaft is not as tall as it should be for accuracy, but it's under and behind the shin armor and how often does anyone see the back of your legs in full costume anyways ?

Usually $120, now $69.97

170694_ts.JPG

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=578994

Last edited:
Re: Need some Leather Vader boots ? Found some....

After re-watching the Vader-stepping-on-Ben's-robe scene I'm hoping the toe on the boot I ordered is an oblong round and not a semi-sircle round.

Re: Need some Leather Vader boots ? Found some....

Got the boots and they are fantastic.

I was very surprised, they are almost IDENTICAL to the boots I already use, the common Halloween made $30 ones. The obvious difference is the soul. With all the capes, robes, and armor don't think the rugged souls will even be noticed.

To Paraphrase Redd from Shawshank, honestly how often to you really look at a Sith Lords shoes ?

The leather is thick but supple. The stitching is strong and the boots have a metal zipper. I cut the harness off, I need to dye the harness ends still on the boot.

With the cheap costume boots, the construction was vinyl with a plastic zipper. With the boot lifts and how my foot is crammed into the cheap boot, I was always terrified the stitching would rip or the zipper would bust open out at an event leaving me high-and-dry.

No worries here. I was able to add an additional insert under the lift and added another inch to my costume height putting me at 6'5" from bottom of boot to top of helmet.

I just need to shine them up. 100% satisfied, well worth the money.

New leather boot:
DSCF1340-vi.jpg

Nice round toe
DSCF1339-vi.jpg

Cheapo on the left, leather on the right.
DSCF1335-vi.jpg

DSCF1337-vi.jpg

Leather is on the top, Cheapo on the right.
DSCF1333-vi.jpg

DSCF1338-vi.jpg

Awesome finding, I use also the plasic ones, have passed thru 3 of them over a year trooping, seems like a no brainer to get this ones, I think they "saw" on the soles can be filled with shoe goo to make it appear as a flat sole

I use a few elevator insoles too, do you think the internal space is similar to the plastic ones?

I wear a size 10 shoe but I bought this boot in a size 14 to make sure I had more then enough room for my lifts AND my foot.

They work great.

You can dye the strap cut with a black Sharpie. The Sharpie ink is very similar to leather dye and will not come out if you give it a good soaking.

W.E.

+1. This is a great boot (I'm currently using a pair for my Mad Max MFP uniform) and I'm happy to see that it's useful for other costumes. I'm also a big fan and longtime customer of Sportsman's Guide.

The tread on the soles kinda look weird. Maybe there is a way to fill them in solid on the sides so they look like solid soles.

Huge improvement over the first set you had. Upgrades are awesome huh!

(pic is a repaste of manufacturer's photo at beginning of thread)
153762_ts.JPG

The boots in this thread (not the Western ones) are also acceptable for use with costumes of Imperial TIE Fighter Pilot, X-Wing Pilot, Imperial Gunner, and Death Star Trooper. As long as you cut off the ankle harness.

The tread on the soles kinda look weird. Maybe there is a way to fill them in solid on the sides so they look like solid soles.

Huge improvement over the first set you had. Upgrades are awesome huh!

I was thinking about shoe goo to fill them up, a little sanding and painting if needed, I think a saw somebody using shoe goo to do a similar job on a conversion of a pair of fetts boots and the results were awesome, this mod should be a lot less complicated

They go up to about 2 inches below the bottom of my knee.

I have worn them a few times suited up and in pictures all you see is a black sole. I can try and snap a few pics with the shin armor this weekend.

BTW, right now they are on sale again for $69.

Just ordered a pair of the 15" leather engineer boots for my New Republic Jedi and Rebel Trooper costumes. Hoping that the 12EE fits to size, really rough to find boots with proper widths.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back