Platinum Silicone by: Tap Plastics

JPolacchi

Sr Member
So,a short write up on "new products".I was in Tap Palstics today and they have a new RTV silicone on the market.Platinum Silicone and it is really something.There were no product fliers up to take home,but I learrned that it:

1: mixes by equal ratios of parts A&B

2.mixes easily without creating lots of bubbles,hence not requiring the use of a vacume chamber to de-gas the rubber.

3. it will not stick to itself like other RTV silicones.You can easily make 2-part molds.

4. you can make more casts than with other silicone RTV

5. it is "product sensitive",so be weary of what you use to mix it with and in.

6. it is more expensive than other RTV silicone,if not a tad more?The small RTV kit (I believe it was a 1lb kit?) cost about $38.00,call it $40.00

7. it cures semi clear.Well,both A&B components are clear,so even so it mixes easily(it is far less viscous) it will be hard to tell when it is thoroughly mixed

8.sets in 2 hours,fully cured in 24hrs.Not any different than a regular RTV silicone.

So,it has some great pros and a few cons,but I think the trade off isn't a bad one.I'll be using this in the upcomming future(hopefully) when making some molds of some very expensive and hard to find parts.

Last edited:
I've used Micro Mark RTV resin and it works OK but this stuff sounds alot better and Not THAT much more expensive than I'm used to. I'm in NY, where did you pick it up? Do they have a web site? :)

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back