Mord' Sith - Legend of the Seeker. The definitive costume research thread.

A word about eyelits and grommets. If done correctly eyelits hold on fabric corsets very well in fact leather is stiffer than fabric and all you need is is the surrounding metal to reinforce the hole.

Either way though....you can buy a grommet and eyelit setter at most fabric and craft stores. Wal Mart had one at one time.

I've found that the biggest thing to watch for with eyelets is to avoid the 'split' eyelets. They have little notches that cause the metal to split when the eyelet is set in fabric. Those splits look bad from the outside of a garment and are usually rather sharp to have on the inside. I found unsplit 'commercial' eyelets online and some two piece grommets at one of my local ACE hardware stores. The two piece grommets have been the winners by far.

I am now planning a shopping expedition to track down the quick lacings that are on the side front of the corset. I believe there is a store in town where I can purchase them but I'd kinda almost rather pirate some from some old boots that are otherwise unwearable. I just feel like they'd be more sturdy that way rather than set in pleather/denim/interfacing.

Welcome to the group and the forum princess. I look forward to seeing your progress on this.

A word about eyelits and grommets. If done correctly eyelits hold on fabric corsets very well in fact leather is stiffer than fabric and all you need is is the surrounding metal to reinforce the hole.

Either way though....you can buy a grommet and eyelit setter at most fabric and craft stores. Wal Mart had one at one time.

Eyelets tend to refer to the one-piece style and the split-flange two-piecers. Basically the cheapos that you find at Wal-Mart. I would not advise using these on anything you care about. Grommets tend to refer to the two-piece, solid flange type. You have to purchase these from more specialized retailers like corset supply houses. The standard sizes are 0 and 00. If I remember correct, 0 is the 1/2"ish size, and 00 are the shoe eyelet size.

Last edited:
Ignore the packaging and look at the pieces. The good ones don't split over a washer but are hammered to flare over the shaped backing. I can get mine really easily from the hardware store, habersdashery even Spotlight.

Technically the grommet is the flared tube and the eyelet is the hole. There are hand sewn eyelets and bone eyelets after all ;)

from+April.jpg

So what's the story here princess???
The pieces look great. Great shaping. Really nice gorget (neckpiece). I think the matte bodysuit clashes a little though. There's something 'off' about it and I think it has to do with texture. Maybe a stretch pvc would set off the background better?

Or maybe now that you're off to a nice headstart, you can turn it into the TV version and meet us at Dragon Con! muahahaha!

So what's the story here princess???
The pieces look great. Great shaping. Really nice gorget (neckpiece). I think the matte bodysuit clashes a little though. There's something 'off' about it and I think it has to do with texture. Maybe a stretch pvc would set off the background better?

Or maybe now that you're off to a nice headstart, you can turn it into the TV version and meet us at Dragon Con! muahahaha!
I'm a practical kind of girl Darth. I fell in love with this story more than 10 years ago via the books so I didn't feel like I had to be too strict in replicating the TV version of the costume. I formed the gorget and corset on my dress form. You can read about most of my process on my blog- Shiny Shimmy. I didn't want to overheat or be unable to move and I also could in no way afford to spend hundreds on a suit of full leather. The spandex body suit is comfortable! Plus there's a special zipper to make my life easier if you know what I mean.

I've shared my patterns with a new Mord'Sith friend as a starting point for her costume and she's promised to give feedback. She bought some of the patterns and then we traded an agiel for the thigh holster pattern. Gotta love a good Sistah ;)

There are slight alterations to some of the strap configurations to make them more functional as armor and a few more changes I'd make yet. Incidentally, do NOT forget the "butt strap" that lifts up the back of the thigh holster/guard. Seriously, it'll make you miserable to be without it.

Thank you Havok69! I am actually hoping to make it to Dragon Con 2011 and this is my excuse :$ I live in Colorado so it's quite a hike but it sounds like such a blast!

It is. Dragon Con IS the costumers con. People who frequent all the major cons (including SDCC) will tell you that for dressing up, Dragon Con is the leader of the pack.

Hi guys this is some great stuff! However i'm a guy and i'm looking to make a male Mord Sith costume. Instead of the dark red color I want to use black and make black agiels also. Of course i wont be making a corset but a similar (and not so tight) armor type piece. I'm just wondering if anyone has attempted this before or if i'm the first. Basically my vision is Edward Scissorhands meets Mord Sith. This will only be about the fourth costume I have made and i've never worked with leather. I want to make a neck piece and leg piece that resemble that of the Mord Sith too. I would appreciate any suggestions or advice or comments. Thank you....

Hi guys this is some great stuff! However i'm a guy and i'm looking to make a male Mord Sith costume. Instead of the dark red color I want to use black and make black agiels also. Of course i wont be making a corset but a similar (and not so tight) armor type piece. I'm just wondering if anyone has attempted this before or if i'm the first. Basically my vision is Edward Scissorhands meets Mord Sith. This will only be about the fourth costume I have made and i've never worked with leather. I want to make a neck piece and leg piece that resemble that of the Mord Sith too. I would appreciate any suggestions or advice or comments. Thank you....

Now that is an original idea indeed.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back