Help me decide on an Indy fedora!

i'v seen so many Indy hats, I thought Indy's hat in KOTCS looked off to me. \
I considered getting the adventurebuilt but was holding off on it..i wanted a more original Indy hat version.

I like how the Pierce Raven hat looks closer to the original hat..

Iv been thinking about getting this as my next hat. here's a photo of someone wearing it.

ravencomp.jpg

Last edited:
It was a pleasure to speak at great length again on the phone with John from Penman.
His knowlege, enthusiasm and honesty really sold me on the idea of one of his hats.
What I have learned in the short time I have been researching this hat is that there are of course MANY options available, a few of them are very good and are perfect Indy hats - it really all comes down to perferene of price and quality of materials, and if you want one hand made or one that was made in a factory.
According to John, the AB Henry is the best factory made Indy hat available anywhere in the world, with the Christy's being the worst. Since I still have time to debate in my head, I am still considering the AB Henry second only to John's custom Raiders.

Both are good choices...I personally like the Johns better. The Henry just looks darker than most to me. Plus John will bash the feds anyway you like...I'm sure he'll bash a henry for you too but I just love the raiders look of the Penman more than any other fed.

Based on pictures, video on youtube, support from members at COW and of course my informative phone conversation with John, I have decided to place an order for one of his hand-made rabbit felt Raiders fedora.

You can't go wrong ordering one of his, I'm sure you will love it!!

Indiana jones for a Newbie....Fedoras

Ok, So Indiana Jones, love it, always have, time to think about one or two pieces.

First off i thought maybe, a Fedora is the first thing to buy.

So i'm looking at the Dorfman Pacific hats offered by Sideshow - the $99 Fur Felt is within my budget (Sorry wife's budget - my xmas prezzie)

What i am looking for is a bit of advice from the IJ Experts.

For the money is this my best option?
For those who have the Dorfman Pacific Fedora, what's you option on it?

Also, please do chime in if you would recommend any other specific pieces, idol, whip etc etc

Thanks in advance.
Gordy

Adventurebilt hats were the actual hats used in crystal skull. They are expensive and the wait time is over a year because they are all hand made. But you get what you pay for. You can find info here http://www.adventurebilthats.com/

So true. I placed an order for an AB Deluxe in June 08. Ironically, a week before my 1 year anniversary I was able to snag from Steve a AB made from leftover film hat materials. It cost $50 more than the Deluxe which I ended up getting a refund for. Now I have a HF size hat identical in every way to the film hat. It's an investment piece, so i wear the AB Henry as my daily wear hat.

Re: Indiana jones for a Newbie....Fedoras

Don't get a Dorfman. horrible quality and not accurate in the slightest. Get a Federation IV from Akubra, $99.97, and light-years better

EDIT: Threads merged in the costuming forum.

Last edited:

Ah sorry, this should be in the costuming forum, and thanks for the link to that thread, how the heck did i miss that!!!

After looking at Akubra and other specialty hatmakers, I wouldn't look at another Dorfman Pacific. I tend to think of them as strictly for the crappy touristy trade....

If $100 is your budget, go for the Akubra Fed IV....the shipping will put it just over $100, but it's a great hat, plenty durable (mine is my go to rain hat!), and a good Indy hat.

Here is a Akubra Fed 4 bashed by IndianaHolt over on cow...
Regarded as one of the best representations of this scene out there.
As you can see it is not what you start with, but what you do with it.
I have an Akubra, live in hot humid South Florida, have dunked it in the water many times. Bullet proof.
holtsoc5-2.jpg
socoriginal.jpg

Ok, So Indiana Jones, love it, always have, time to think about one or two pieces.

First off i thought maybe, a Fedora is the first thing to buy.

So i'm looking at the Dorfman Pacific hats offered by Sideshow - the $99 Fur Felt is within my budget (Sorry wife's budget - my xmas prezzie)

What i am looking for is a bit of advice from the IJ Experts.

For the money is this my best option?
For those who have the Dorfman Pacific Fedora, what's you option on it?

Also, please do chime in if you would recommend any other specific pieces, idol, whip etc etc

Thanks in advance.
Gordy

DON'T, I repeat, DON'T get a Dorfman if you are serious about looking like Indy. Everything about that hat is wrong. EVERYTHING. I know so very many gearheads who have made the mistake of buying one of those to get started, and they ALL have realized their mistake and have moved on to quality hats like the Penman, the Adventurebilt, or the AB Henry. However, I really really do think that you should look at the Akubra Federation IV as well. It is pretty much at your price range, and blows the Dorfman Pacific out of the water. You can buy them at hatsdirect.com. Compare pics of the two hats, paying particular attention to the crown of the hat at the top. Indy had a crease, the DP has a rounded indentation. Trust me, the DP is a hat for laying down and avoiding unless you are a 12 year old throwing together a cheap halloween costume.

Here is a Akubra Fed 4 bashed by IndianaHolt over on cow...
Regarded as one of the best representations of this scene out there.
As you can see it is not what you start with, but what you do with it.
I have an Akubra, live in hot humid South Florida, have dunked it in the water many times. Bullet proof.

I agree. I have the Fed4 as well and I LOVE IT! Can't beat it for the money.

IMG_5052.jpg

Brad

At this point I have decided...on two actually.
AB Henry and a Penman in Rabbit felt.
I want to dress as Indy for my trip to Orlando in March and won't be able to get my Penman in time so I wanted to get the next best thing that was readily available, and based on my research and many recommendatins from RPF and COW members that next best thing is the Henry.
Thank you everyone for your input.
Oh, and Jedifyfe - you look pretty darn awesome in your Indy gear! Now GO GET THOSE NAZIS!!!:lol

You def. make a convincing Indy Brad. Your collection never ceases to amaze me!

That sounds awesome GF. I am leaning toward that way too, an AB Henry with a CS Bash for now, followed by a Penman in a Raiders. I am also leaning toward a special Wested in lamb while I am at it.

You def. make a convincing Indy Brad. Your collection never ceases to amaze me!

That sounds awesome GF. I am leaning toward that way too, an AB Henry with a CS Bash for now, followed by a Penman in a Raiders. I am also leaning toward a special Wested in lamb while I am at it.

The Wested Lamb is a great choice. I have one and I love it. Of course, there are those who will say you should save up and buy a Tony Nowak, but the price can be very hefty.

ok I'm finally gonna look at getting a proper hat and wanna get offical word. Plan on getting an Akubra. However what is the difference between the standard and deluxe versions beside the price?

Demon,

You'll probably get great answers here, but just as an alternative, for all questions about Indy gear, you will find it all and more at www.indygear.com/cow. The Club Obi Wan forum is a great place to get more information than you could ever want about all the available Indy products.

Just a tip.

However, to directly answer your question..The deluxe is made from a higher grade felt, the sweat band is made from higher quality leather that is softer than the other and hold up better. Furthermore, the deluxe felt goes through a more refined finishing processess that makes it have a much smoother finish.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back