Half Life 2: Gordon Freemans HEV suit

SimonTheDigger

Well as the title says I want to build an HEV just like Gordon Freemans. And I want it to look good and act good, meaning I want it to be able to take a knife and I could walk away (not that I intend for that to happen). I simply want to make something that is not only cool looking but functional. I just came from Cosplay.com, and after an hour or 2 of the users telling me to use carboard one suggested this site and here I am. And yes I want this suit to look good and not be made of cardboard. (I doubt Gordon Freeman would last long in cardboard) Why you may ask? Boredom, couriosity, something different, either way I just want to give it my all.

But more to the matter now. I have a certain level of perfection I want to reach. This shows what I mean.

This is what I DON'T want my suit to look like...
Example 1
Example 2
Example 3
Example 4

This IS how good I want my suit to look...
Example 1
Example 2
Example 3

In addition, I am willing to use high materials like kevlar and carbon fiber. So any ideas?

Welcome to the Freeman club. I've got one on hold right now while I focus on other things. I'd recommend pepakura, it's how I'm making mine. You can find the files on the 405th forum. I can't say for sure it'll take a knife, but if you mudglass it it WILL be pretty darn tough.

You guys are the best! The people at cosplay.com did nothing but berate my idea and suggest flimsy materials like cardboard. You guys are true pros!

Cosplay.com can be a geat supportive community. If you're not into forward moving thinking...
I came from there too, but I don't seek out advice for my projects from anywhere but here, or from professionals. Oh wait, this is where all the professionals are! (haha)

I do have a note though:
Yes, although cardboard can indeed be a flimsy material, and looks like crud if you simply try and paint it or put your sculpting medium on it... I will say that cardboard is dirt cheap, and VERY easy to work with. It is easy to cut and can hold together quite well with hotglue. and makes a very workable base if you're planning on using FIBERGLASS.
Trust me, cardboard covered in several layers of glass is super durable.
DSC00169.jpg

I made that helmet with a base of cardboard, layered it with glass, and made the details with bondo. It's survived so many drops, punts, and jabs I'm still surprised! Dunno If it would take a knife though. And I probably spent less than $25 to make it. And of course, wether you use epoxy putties, or bondo... you can sculpt your armor to be as detailed or as rough (above) as you want it to be.

Cosplay.com can be a geat supportive community. If you're not into forward moving thinking...
I came from there too, but I don't seek out advice for my projects from anywhere but here, or from professionals. Oh wait, this is where all the professionals are! (haha)

I do have a note though:
Yes, although cardboard can indeed be a flimsy material, and looks like crud if you simply try and paint it or put your sculpting medium on it... I will say that cardboard is dirt cheap, and VERY easy to work with. It is easy to cut and can hold together quite well with hotglue. and makes a very workable base if you're planning on using FIBERGLASS.
Trust me, cardboard covered in several layers of glass is super durable.
DSC00169.jpg

I made that helmet with a base of cardboard, layered it with glass, and made the details with bondo. It's survived so many drops, punts, and jabs I'm still surprised! Dunno If it would take a knife though. And I probably spent less than $25 to make it. And of course, wether you use epoxy putties, or bondo... you can sculpt your armor to be as detailed or as rough (above) as you want it to be.

Yeah, they were pretty arogant when I told them the level of detail and quality I wanted. I'm glad you guys ar much more agreeable.

Well enough with admiration and all. It's time to get cracking. :love

Ok lets try and organize this the best we can here. I was thinking of several materials which I am willing to use so far and you all can suggest any pros or cons with it.

Fiber glass: I personally I find this to be a great material due to it's strength, versatility, and being light weight.

Kevlar: tough fabric that would look kick *** and take a hell of a beating.

Carbon Fiber fabric: moldable and tough as well, yet again this would be great for the armor.

These are all great materials which I would be willing to add to this suit. And you said cardboard would make a great base, any suggestions with how to mold it?

With the Kevlar and carbon fiber it seems a little like you are planning to use it for REAL combat?.... If so then this thread is starting to remind me of the "MY homemade Advacnded action suit" (check my signature) God!! that was a good an fun thread ;)

As I said, pepakura. You get the 3d model of the armor as a pep file, print it, fold and glue, fiberglass. It uses card stock normally, but parts can be done in cardboard as well. The finished piece will look like it's straight out of the game.

DSC01486.jpg

These are some of my first draft pieces. I've actually thrown them all away already because I found ways to improve them.

EDIT: The action suit was the first thing I thought of when I read the first post, but I'm trying to be supportive because nobody's ever finished a decent looking Freeman costume. I will say this though, DON'T try to take a knife in this thing. I can assure you that even if it is durable enough to take it, it will definitely not allow you the mobility to escape before the second knife goes into your face.

EDIT: The action suit was the first thing I thought of when I read the first post, but I'm trying to be supportive because nobody's ever finished a decent looking Freeman costume. I will say this though, DON'T try to take a knife in this thing. I can assure you that even if it is durable enough to take it, it will definitely not allow you the mobility to escape before the second knife goes into your face.

Yeah, im also very happy that someone is making the suit but when he starts his topic with
meaning I want it to be able to take a knife and I could walk away
It kinda gets silly.

Last edited by a moderator:
As I said, pepakura. You get the 3d model of the armor as a pep file, print it, fold and glue, fiberglass. It uses card stock normally, but parts can be done in cardboard as well. The finished piece will look like it's straight out of the game.

DSC01486.jpg

These are some of my first draft pieces. I've actually thrown them all away already because I found ways to improve them.

That pepakura download is pretty awesome. I'm gonna spend some time working on it and I'll get back to you guys later when I have some ideas to go from there.

Yeah, im also very happy that someone is making the suit but when he starts his topic with It kinda gets silly.

In all reality I don't want that to be the case. I'm just giving my idea of how tough I want the shell to be on this thing. I want to be able to keep this suit for years to come and one day show my kids and say "I remember when I built this thing". Then my son will look up and think to himself, "He needed a girlfriend".:lol Seriously, do think I really want to be stabbed? :eek Hahahah!

Download pepakura designer, Find the Pepakura file of the Hev suit, load it up and scale it , Print and glue. Then you put a couple of coats of resin on it before you fiberglass it.
Seems simple but the scaling is a female dog..

Download pepakura designer, Find the Pepakura file of the Hev suit, load it up and scale it , Print and glue. Then you put a couple of coats of resin on it before you fiberglass it.
Seems simple but the scaling is a female dog..

Yeah, I found the page on 405th showing the guy who made that file. There was eve a link. But it looks like the link is dead now with no file on the other end. I'm sending a PM to him to see if he still has a file available.

His earlier links on that thread have been broken for a long time, look for a new one later on. If you still don't have any luck you can PM me and I'll email them to you after the holiday.

His earlier links on that thread have been broken for a long time, look for a new one later on. If you still don't have any luck you can PM me and I'll email them to you after the holiday.

I dug through that thread a bit, the files that Null unfolded and scaled are on page 7. Link

I only checked one link, but it was still working for me.

Good news! Nugget personally provided the links I needed and now I have all the pep files. Now to print them out and go from there. I would also like to thank Loess for finding the Link as well as Risu's generous atempt. I appreciate the thought.

Question- once I put all the cardstock together I have to apply the fiber glass. What do I use to get the fiber glass smooth looking instead of all bumpy from the hardening resin?

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back