A BTTF trip to end all trips...

Gary Weaver II

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'm going to preface this by saying I am completely exhausted. So if I have a few spelling errors, please bear with me.

I just got back from a crazy trip to L.A. and by crazy I mean there were things that happened on this trip I NEVER would have dreamed of.

About once a year I try to fly into Burbank/LA to do stuff for my DeLorean Time Machine replica. Usually that involves trips to Apex, Norton Sales, Luckys and some of the other classic surplus shops. This time was no different.

My first stop was Lucky's where I was finally able to score a complete set of the secondary hoses with go on the vents around the reactor (pic later). The irony is that I had JUST MADE my own at home. Oh well :) I also picked up some other parts to finish out some things for friends.

Next stop was Norton Sales. Here I found a slew of Part II/III Reactor hoses and a Sola Transformer (Part III Hood Time Circuit). It was almost like someone put them there. Oh well... mine now.

I specifically went to Norton to look for the Main Vent hoses on the BTTF Delorean. YEARS ago, I got a hose from a friends which had an ID Tag of "Pacific Flex Inc". I could NEVER track this company down in websearches, so I just assumed they had been closed down for a while.

Well, the trip to Norton paid off - BIGTIME. I was scouring through these hoses and came across another in a similar style. The tag instead read "Pacific Flexible Metal Inc.". A 4 second Iphone search later confirmed that they were in Alhambra and better yet - STILL IN BUSINESS.

I got my tuckus down there immediately and showed them my reference pictures of the hoses (since no real hoses exist on ANY of the Universal DeLoreans anymore - More on THAT in a bit). The knew exactly what I was talking about and even brought up the specs to get the lengths correct.

Ends up they are the SAME assembly but built in an older style and a newer style. They got my order set right up and they will be here by the end of the week.

Better yet, they told me that ANYONE can call them up and order a set. My pricing was $120 EACH plus shipping. If you are building a BTTF Delorean you can call them up and get your own. I can't gurantee you will get the $120 since I may have been getting a price break on the quantity I bought.

Pacific Flexible Metal (323)-221-5146

Just ask for Bob and tell them you would like to order a set of BTTF Delorean Hoses - even reference you heard about them from Gary Weaver if they can't recall the dims.

The A-Car style will be 1 of each (new and old). The B-Car style will be 2 of the Old Style hoses.

That was pretty much my first day if I recall correctly. I didn't think the trip could top the Hoses...

I was wrong.

Over the years I've a few good contacts at Universal. However, I NEVER tried to flex any sway over those contacts for the good of the Screen Used vehicles still in their posession. In the past 6-8 months I've changed my mind and been actively trying to push the issue of preservation with them for the sake of movie history. Let me tell you, it's a lost cause.

However, this trip I did manage to make SOME progress.

First off, I requested access to the cars for measurements and photo data - That was granted on the condition I don't do any filming or do anything too crazy. I had a good couple of hours at my own pace with the cars and was SHOCKED and DISSAPOINTED by what I saw.

You need to understand that there are two KNOWN DeLorean Time Machines on the Universal Backlot. The first is the "A-Car" which is currently on display for the Tram Tour. This car is in about a 4.5 of 10 shape. There are a few original screen used parts present, but most have flown the coop over the last 10-15 years. Things have gotten particularly bad over the last 5 or so. However, after a trip and some conversations with Universal last year, the A-Car was locked up tight and from my trip last week looks to be in about the same shape. That's a GOOD thing.

The other car on the backlot is a different story entirely. This car was a "replica" built by J Ohrberg after the filming of Part II and III. I used "replica" because believe it or not a good percentage of that car "was" made from screen used car parts. J was given a box of parts from Universal a long time ago to use in replicas. These "parts" were actually from the "B-Car". It so happens that the filmmakers used this car for the train impact scene at the end of part III. The car was specially sliced and prepped for maximum destruction - then hit by the train.

At that point continuity photos were taken of the wreckage locations and the necessary scenes were filmed. For re-shoots and closeup work these photos were reference and the parts were kept as-is for shooting.

Ohrberg took a mess of these parts and incorportated them into a replica car. Among the items used in the replica which were legit parts, included:

Original Metal Wormhole Emitter and Stand
Overhead Switching Console
Reactor Core Oil Separators
Reactor Core Hoses (repurposed on scratchbuilt green tubes)
Reactor Vent Hoses (Both of the old style PFM's mentioned above)
Torin Fan from Bulkhead Panel 2
The ENTIRE Bulkhead Panel 1 assembly including the VSR and Wire Trunk Housing
Gold Claire Power Supply
Upper Flux Boxes (B-Car)
Passenger Side Rear Flux Band (still had the original Diffusion Plex in place)
Possibly the lower rear Flux Boxes (although they are probably part III boxes)

This is what has been CONFIRMED in the past couple years via looking at the car and talking with other collectors/hobbyists. There may be more parts or something I missed.

Sadly, a good percentage of those parts were well and GONE by the time I got there last week. In the last couple months someone had gone so far as to steal BOTH rear Venting Hoses off the Rear Vents.

Last year, I thought it was a good idea and agreed to salvage the Wormhole Emitter off the car with the intent to give it back to Universal when they wanted it. I left it with someone in LA and now I honestly doubt it will ever be returned. Lesson learned I suppose. Between that and seeing this car's current state CONVINCED me that something needed to be done to salvage the few pieces left on this car. I spoke with Transportation about it and they agreed that my idea was a good one.

I REMOVED every last screen used part on that car and gave it to the transportation department to put in their secured warehouse. The didn't have a problem with doing so at all. In the end, this is what we managed to save.

ohrberg-02.jpg

It's not much, and I honestly feel it is too little, too late.

If you think that's sad, take a look at what's left of the interior.

ohrberg-01.jpg

Now, to the keen observer - something is missing that was mentioned above. The bulkhead panel 1 assembly with the last complete screen-used VSR. Never fear, it's safe.

They let me keep it :eek

vsrpanel-01.jpg

I now own a VERIFIABLE and trackable part from the ORIGINAL DeLorean time machine. I was shocked just HOW CLOSE my replica unit was. I made that crazy thing 4 years ago from screen caps and photos. That was a good feeling.

This covered about two days of my trip to LA. I went out for five days.

As for those other three? Well, that's another pretty awesome story and let me just say it's totally "tubular" will make certain people "green" with envy...

:love

Till next time, keep thinking about the future.

-Gary

Congrats Gary. Are you planning on cleaning up the Bulkhead and incorporating it into your car? I think it's great that Universal let you do this and I am surprised that they never have contacted you about restoring the "A" car.

You deserve it my friend!

Now,....how about tackeling the Biff Cane top soon?

Brad

I did consider restoring it. However, I decided against it pretty quickly. The parts that are there are VERY FRAGILE after the last 10-15 years in the sun and heat. For now, this puppy is going up on the wall.

I'm perfectly content with my "hillbilly-buildup" currently in my own car.

And the Biff Cane Top is on the "list". The problem is that it's a very LONG list :)

-Gary

As a car fan long before a prop fan, something here seems amiss.
You mention alot about the parts of the Delorean, but what about the actual base model car itself?
Surely thats just as rare (Delorean) as collectible ( Original BTTF Car) so to think that once the parts are stripped out,even for preservation etc, the original, and now naked Delorean is well, more likely to be junked? Sort of like stripping Luke's original lightsabre for the parts and chucking the Graflex left behind?
Amazing thread, looking fwd to the rest. ;-)

The DeLorean these parts were taken from is NOT a screen used car. Universal just recenly sold one of their Knight Rider T/As and it was parted out.

Chances are if and when the look to get rid of THIS DeLorean they will know to send it to Danny at Delorean Motor Company California.

Of course they always have my contact info as well - so who knows what could happen. :)

I'm going to keep an open mind about it for now.

-Gary

That's awesome if kinda sad info. At least someone who it obviously means something to got a piece of it!

Not to hijack, but I saw a BTTF DeLorean at Toys R Us the other day and it made me wonder what was going on in the BTTF world...seemed random.

Now to hijack! What's this about "tubular" and "green"!!!!:lol

One thing at a time. I'd like to let this post sink in for a while ;) Besides I had to ship all my other stuffa nd it probably won't be here till Friday.

I'm amazed they let me take that panel on the plane in the first place. They would have thought some of the other parts were pipebombs or something stupid like that.

Gary

What an amazing adventure. I feel kinda envious. Sad about the state of the car. Looks like it was left in a junk yard.

Fantastic story, Gary. Congratulations on your good luck and for getting Transportation to listen to you. Let's hope they really do conserve the parts you salvaged. Again, congrats!

KC

Fantastic story, Gary. Congratulations on your good luck and for getting Transportation to listen to you. Let's hope they really do conserve the parts you salvaged. Again, congrats!

KC

I them seeing the photos of that car a year ago vs last week really helped sink the point home. Of course this isn't something they didn't already know about. That lot is so open - they have stuff "borrowed" all the time.

-Gary

Way to go and get stuff persereved. As for a restore, I never thought the Ecto's would ever look like they do now, so who knows?

So glad you're still doing this. It's always a pleasure to see what you come up with!!

Hi Gary,
This second car in the junk lot....this is behind the amphitheater, correct? If so, I was there in September and saw that car also. It's right up against a chain link fence with an old black caddy (I think that's what it was) about 10 yards to the right of it.

Here is a pic of me and the car I saw:
bttf.jpg

Yup. That's the ohrberg car. So the hoses were missing in September at the latest. I wond if there are any other shots floating around which could pinpoint when they flew the coop.

Gary

Ahh the Ohrberg car! What a strange tale that car holds. Built by Jay as a promotional vehicle for BTTF, it was most likely his second car or so. It was used at trade shows and was even used by AMT Ertl at a display. Sometimes it was on tour right next to a police cycle and a 2015 police car. At one point after the show circuit it was sold to a private collector. He used to drive it around and took the old original BTTF fan club's editor and son for a drive in it. Then when they opened up the BTTF Ride in Hollywood, it turned out there was a shortage of BTTF DeLoreans (that ran or were in good appearance). At the time the only car there was the "A" car that was used in all three films, and it sometimes at that point barely ran. So Universal in gearing up for the BTTF Ride at Hollywood purchased this car from the collector. Early in the online circles people used to call it a "garage built replica by a fan." Those misconceptions sometimes still show up here and there, but it couldn't be further than the truth. The car was used outside the ride and put on display at various parts of the park. Before the release of the BTTF dvds, both this car and the "A" car were subjected to a minor restoration. This was the car that drove Michael J. Fox into the DVD PR event. Since then though it has been left to the elements and the vultures. Now this car and the "A" hero car have been left for ruin. There are numerous people inside both Universal Hollywood and Orlando that have tried to save the cars. In all honesty the fact that Gary was able to get someone at Uni (and he is very high up there actually) to save some items is a testament of how much of a fan he is.

Yup. That's the ohrberg car. So the hoses were missing in September at the latest. I wond if there are any other shots floating around which could pinpoint when they flew the coop.

Gary

Thanks for the confirmation, Gary. I looked inside it while I was there and it's amazing how filthy it was and how stripped down it was as well.

Gary

Also, in case you are interested, that photo was taken September 27. I really wanted to take a bunch of photos, but it was getting dusky and since iphones don't have flash, it would have been a waste.

Gary,
These hoses from pacific metal...we are talking about the long steel hoses that go from the rear vents to the back window?
These guys are the original manufactures?
And are the fittings on the ends?

Thanks
Mike

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back