done

Pastor Jedi

Why is the RPF blanking out all references to Yesu Christos in descriptions of Christian relics? I am not expressing a religious opinion, just a relic.

Last edited:
Re: Christian Relic Name Ban?

I'd imagine it's more of a blanket filter to stop someone getting offended when the name is used as a vulgar descriptor rather than any censoring related to faith.

While I have my own opinions on the validity of cursing, I can't fault the staff for imposing their own rules. This is their place after all. The only thing I would say is that the filters seem to have been ramped up quite a bit lately. Seemingly innocuous words that have previously been seen as the tamer alternatives to the more "classic" curses are now in the filtered list, too. For instance, a word meaning "poo" that rhymes with trap. I can't claim to totally understand the reasoning, but like I said, this is their place and they can do what they like.

I can appreciate not using curse words or not using deity names or titles as curse words angle. Maybe they need to look at titles though as description.

blownhemi pretty much nailed it. We have recently updated the censored word list in an effort to try to more closely match the CoC in regard to both the overall family friendly nature of the board and the discussion of religious figures. Unfortuantely, as blownhemi pointed out, the censored word list is simply an automatic filter that can't discern meaning or intent. Ultimately, this means that every now and then the innocuous use of a word is filtered. Will the word list need revising? Possibly. As we move forward, we will need to determine the negative impact of having a word filtered vs the positive and then make a decision whether to take a word off the list.

i tried to write the acronym to "oh my god" as a response to an incredible picture recently posted... and it got filtered.

why is this acronym offensive?:angel afaik, the acronym to 'oh my gawd' or 'oh my god' isn't takeing the lords name in vain ... is it?

the last thing i want to do is start sounding like Delta Burke in my posts... Oh My Word, or For heavens sake! Mercy mercy mercy!

Yeah I also recently noticed that the slightly more profane word for "darn" got the star-treatment. I mean... that word hasn't been offensive since... well... the 50's maybe?

It's like Eddie Murphy said... "I couldn't even say DAG in my house!" :lol

Personally, I believe that the intent or wording in how you express yourself towards others is much more important than whether or not you choose to use a few "colorful" expletives. I feel that the definition of "family friendly" needs an update to better fit with this day and age. I almost find it offensive the way we have to go out of our way these days not to offend!

Well thanks for the FYI. I still think you should look at the title of a for sale prop relic and make exceptions to your rule. I can't describe in the title the Indiana Jones print that refers to the cross picture that I am selling.

blownhemi pretty much nailed it. We have recently updated the censored word list in an effort to try to more closely match the CoC in regard to both the overall family friendly nature of the board and the discussion of religious figures. Unfortuantely, as blownhemi pointed out, the censored word list is simply an automatic filter that can't discern meaning or intent. Ultimately, this means that every now and then the innocuous use of a word is filtered. Will the word list need revising? Possibly. As we move forward, we will need to determine the negative impact of having a word filtered vs the positive and then make a decision whether to take a word off the list.

I've heard this tune before, it normally doesn't end well.
And it makes me uncomfortable, these things can be abused.

I'm confused what needs changing? Why the filters? I haven't seen very many religious discussions on the board. This is a Sci-Fi/fantasy/etc. prop board, religious artifacts are going to be an interest to some of the membership. Most of our entertainment medium has it's roots in religion, if you place a filter on one thing shouldn't there be filters on anything to that nature.

Since such filters are implemented, I as a member would like to be informed before such a list is implemented.

AML,

Just to make sure we are clear, we haven't just implemented filtering. We have had a censored word list for years. However, the word list that was in place did not support the CoC very well and we recently updated the list to better match the CoC. It is a work in progress and may need further refining if it becomes more of a burden than a help.

The problem with the term "family friendly" is it can be either twisted or over-exaggerated to a level far beyond its original intent or meaning.

Though this forum is family-friendly, it is primarily patronized by adults. All members are responsible for the impact of their own actions. Our guidelines are based on the expectation that all members exhibit mature behavior.

I think if more focus was placed on the expectation that members "exhibit mature behavior" and less on basing all decisions on maintaining a "family friendly" forum it would probably cause less confusion. The Code of Conduct itself is pretty clear. The consequences for not following it are also pretty clear. As long as that is clearly and consistently applied, there really isn't a need to over-emphasize such a vague term like "family friendly" no matter how much it might be a pet project of some.

But to be clear, I completely understand and agree with filtering out certain curse words, it's expanding that filter to attempt to limit entire concepts that seems misguided, because it is quite a slippery slope.

Today it's religious terminology, but what happens the next time an "offensive" topic rears its head? What about "police?" "Government?" "Recast?" "Prequel Trilogy?" All of those words have played a part in various unrest over the years, but are the words really the problem, or the context in which they're used?

Because if you agree it's the context, and not the words themselves, you should also consider the value of allowing yourselves the ability to moderate the specific use, instead of handing off that ability to an automated profanity filter.

Otherwise, I'm left with the impression that as long as it isn't restricted by the profanity filter, it must be okay. Or on the other hand, if someone tries to sell a replica Cross of Coronado, Holy Grail, or Spear of Destiny and those words are blocked out, is that person now somehow in violation of the Code of Conduct?

I certainly hope not, but the impression is they've crossed some kind of line, and I don't think that level of filtering is needed or deserved. This is just collateral damage from a totally unrelated problem, and won't really help solve the intended problem, which is preventing the discussion of certain topics.

If the forum is populated by mostly adults, might I suggest a filter which is able to be toggled on and off?

That way you can post any word you like, and the reader him/herself has the choice of whether to see it.

I don't see the downside of this, it seems win/win for everyone involved.

Heck, I get a much bigger kick out of it when someone quotes the "CoC" about using profanity. Can we update the word filter to filter that word out?? :lol

If the forum is populated by mostly adults, might I suggest a filter which is able to be toggled on and off?

That way you can post any word you like, and the reader him/herself has the choice of whether to see it.

That is a truly brilliant idea dude. I personally go into seizures and tend to commit hate crimes whenver I see swear words in print, so the toggle would definitely be used by me. I dunno how to explain it. Something in my head just snaps when I see swear words on the internet, and I can't control myself anymore. It defines my behavior, those hateful words of others.

That IS a really cool idea! I don't believe there is anything like that available in the base software package, but let me see if anyone has created an add-on that does that! Thanks for the great idea! :thumbsup

This is a fantastic idea! I personally don't have a problem with profanity. I see it as giving unnecessary power to a collection of sounds that alone have no power, but together, for some reason, can cause certain people to have fits. If there was a way, by default, to have the setting on that members like myself have the option of turning off, I think that would be the best of both worlds. And I'm not saying that the members that are affected are somehow less than me or my opinions, for what it's worth, just that they have their own opinions. Nothing wrong with that.

I have taken a look and there doesn't appear to be any plug-ins that would give members the option to enable/disable the censored word filter (although there are several requests for exactly what gokarosama suggested). We are still looking into this and trying to find a good solution.

I have taken a look and there doesn't appear to be any plug-ins that would give members the option to enable/disable the censored word filter (although there are several requests for exactly what gokarosama suggested). We are still looking into this and trying to find a good solution.

I started looking, too, after seeing the suggestion and your reply. The one thing I saw was that a KC Chiefs forum has that exact option, but I wasn't able to find anything more about it.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/faq.php?faq=vb_faq

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back