Has anyone built a replica DSKY from the Apollo Guidance Computer? >>

tim

Sr Member
I was re-watching Apollo 13 last night and thought that this might be a cool movie (and historical) replica. A quick form search found no prior discussions.

ArtistDSKY.jpg

Yes, thought about it, No, never did build it. Still would be a great project and there are some really good shots of a reproduction in the HBO series "From Earth to the Moon" in multiple episodes.

As a spacecraft GNC engineer, I would love one of these! There are plans on the www to make a working replica:

http://agcreplica.outel.org/
I saw that the other day. It's pretty insane.

This would be a great project, but I don't really know where to start. There'd need to be some metalwork done if one wants to use the same components and materials as the real deals. The display could be achieved with some screen-printing on plastic sheeting. I can probably source "close enough" seven-segment LED displays as well.

Any other thoughts?

Funny you should mention that. I've just finished enlarging the Apollo Command Module main control panel to 1/1 scale. :love

It's gonna be a bear of a project........if I ever get it started!!!!!

Funny you should mention that. I've just finished enlarging the Apollo Command Module main control panel to 1/1 scale. :love

It's gonna be a bear of a project........if I ever get it started!!!!!
Pics! Pics! ;)

Yeah, I'm only talking about the DSKY interface panel, and not the whole she-bang...otherwise I'd be finishing off a Saturn V about 25 years from now. :lol

In some ways, this would be easier than replicating movie prop, as detailed mechanical drawings and schematics exist...somewhere.

Not trying to hijack this thread: I thought I'd post a few pictures I took of tools, used during the Apollo missions, at Kennedy Space Center a few weeks ago. They're consistent with the Apollo theme so this is my contribution. :)

RCA Television Camera
Lunar Scoop & Sample Scale
Moon Rock Containment Vessels

- Karl

If you are interested in doing the electronics for 2, I'll trade you.
I have exact 1 to 1 etched metal panels for the DSYK that I made off of a real one I had in my possession for a while.
Also you may be interested in this:

http://www.collectspace.com/ubb/Forum24/HTML/008106.html
Intriguing. Do you have any photos of your work?

As for electronics, my main thought was to source some LED displays and single LEDs and try to duplicate the indicator lights; there wouldn't really be any driver electronics or microcontroller as such.

Not trying to hijack this thread: I thought I'd post a few pictures I took of tools, used during the Apollo missions, at Kennedy Space Center a few weeks ago. They're consistent with the Apollo theme so this is my contribution. :)
- Karl

You know, if any more guys named "Karl" show up, we're going to have to call this place the "Replica Karl Forum". :lol

Thanks for the great pics! :cool:thumbsup

- Karl

You know, if any more guys named "Karl" show up, we're going to have to call this place the "Replica Karl Forum". :lol

Thanks for the great pics! :cool:thumbsup

- Karl

No problem.

...and one can't refer to either of us as "the bald one that likes Star Trek" as it would just lead to further confusion. :confused :lol

- Karl

Not forgotten, My office computer is down, I'll try to remember to retake pictures and post them from home.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back