Gene Wilder Willy Wonka Research Thread

Tk-Devo

A good friend of mine is looking to do the Gene Wilder version of Willy Wonka for the upcoming 2010 con season. So I'm on here looking for any help from anyone who may have done this costume or may know any information on it!

Thanks!

willy-wonka-in-chocolate-factory.jpg

800px-WonkaOnSteps.jpg

The easiest parts are probably going to be the white shirt, the dress pants, and maybe even the shoes.

The coat, vest, bow tie, top hat and cane are a different story though.
Any help would be greatly appreciated guys, thanks!

I was Willy Wonka for Halloween once. (When I was six. :lol) My costume wasn't very accurate and I remember being pissed off I couldn't find a purple coat or a brown hat. I was a picky thing, even then.

The bow tie would actuly be easy to make! It looks like it is made out of tan silk. You might get good results using chiffon (think prom dress matrial).
I might have a tut on makeing bow ties some where...I'll check if you like.

The Hat from Gentleman's Emporium ends up being the wrong color. I bought a cheaper Black Topper and took off the ribbon band and painted it with Red Auto Primer. It turned out perfect. Replaced the band with the correct ribbon.
Here are some great shoes for him. I love mine and found them really cheap. The Taupe color is the least expensive to find, and easy to dye the exact color of your hat which is what the originals do:
http://www.stacyadams.com/shop-sa/mensShoes/classic/madison/prod00015.html

My coat is Real Velvet and if I had to do it again I'd use Velveteen. Velvet is a damn pain and really expensive and hot. I wasn't able to do the lapel piping as the Velvet was hard to keep from crushing.

The Vest material is Impossible to find I looked forever and settled with something pretty close. Here's the pattern for it:
http://www.voguefabricsstore.com/store/product.php?productid=1310&cat=591&page=2&js=n

You want the top vest, minus shawl collar, plus straight bottom.

I can post the tie and the cane I made, and other pics to if you want.

Laffo.

Could you post some pics of everything Laffo?

Everything but the hat and shoes. They were used on a shoot and disappeared. Those are easy enough to imagine though. Like I said I'd have preferred my coat to be closer and my vest to be more accurate - Pattern and Fabric wise, but it was 10 years ago and the leaps and bounds in being able to source stuff is obvious. I'll find pictures of the whole thing on and what remains of the suit.

The pants might be hard to find in the Warehouse as well, I'll look. I found some awesome Cream/Dun colored Flannel Trousers that were perfect at a Vintage Store for $20. What's not perfect is what I do to a pair of light colored pants.

I may have tossed them, I'll have to see.

Laffo.

In regaurds to Wonka's purple coat:

All of the Six Flags theme parks have actors portraying the Joker, who also wears a purple coat that is VERY VERY similar to your picture of Wonka. The only discrepancy is the piping along the pockets.

Six Flags sells and holds auctions for a lot of costumes and often puts them on E-Bay throughout the year, so keep your eyes pealed for that. Or you can just find their phone number, talk to the Wardrobe Manager and ask to buy it.

I think the company Six Flags goes through is called "Alex in Wonderland" so maybe check their site for other costumes.

Hope this helped! >.<

Also, if you have friends/relatives in Texas, Lucy in Disguise with Diamonds is a costume shop in Austin where I've actually seen purple velvet tophats.

Yeah, this thread ain't dead!
I really want to do this costume still, and have just started research on it again.
Anyone want to chime in with some help? If you can, please do!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back