Annigrand 1/2256 Star Destroyer / Delivered!

Cool!
It's interesting to see how others are battling those hull seams.
Definately adding styrene squares is a must on this one.

Worked on the big hull seams a bit today, hopefully not long now.

More massaging the seams and decided to primer the whole thing today.

I kinda like it dark grey, looks more evil!

It's patrolling the backyard looking for ewoks to kill.

IMG_6630.jpg

IMG_6629.jpg

IMG_6619.jpg

IMG_6615.jpg

IMG_6608.jpg

IMG_6631.jpg

IMG_6632.jpg

I love it.

If you like the darker grey you may as well keep it that way.I'm personally going to hit mine with the primer grey like yours,then mask up various panels and hit it with mists of white.For the last coat I'll remove the panels masked and hit it with white mist again to blend the panels slightly.

Gotta start the thing first though,I'm just deciding on whether to light it or not

Cheers,
Ben

It's cool looking like that but too dark. I wanted pics of it though to always remember my baby's early days.

Other then serving as primer, my intention is that it will help highlight some of the details when I go with the light gray and a little paneling work.

I thought about lighting it but I wanted to finish it. LOL

Though you could just do the engines and hanger bay like the New Hope studio model.

It's airing out in the garage. The thing is so big and covered in so much paint it really stinks up the room after a coat of paint!

So, I just read about the 'hull seams' thing. I have a line on this kit, but am curious about this. Is there a ton of shimming and filling to do?

KK

Theres not a ton to do and if your no good at filling you can easily hide it by adding styrene squares and strips as others have.It doesn't make or break the model either way so don't stress about it.:)

CessnaDriver I forgot to add that you've done a great job of filling/hiding your seams.Well done!:thumbsup

Thanks much!

Yeah, it's the the normal kind of model stuff, but my least favorite part so I like to gripe. LOL
Just do a lot of test fitting so you can minimize using filler and get the alignment as best as possible. I had some areas align nicely and others pop up vertically out of sharing the same plane. Nothing major though. I had two thicknesses of styrene on hand to match what is molded onto the hull. I mean you can go nuts with the styrene if you need to. I tried to use it strategically to cover bad areas and blend the surface to look like the rest of the ship.

I found use of a flashlight helpful, by shining it sideways onto the surface and casting shadows to tell if some areas needed work.

PS
I suggest making something interesting for the inside of the garbage dump thingy on the back.
Cut away the underlying conning tower wall in that area and
I basically made a little room in there with some interesting surfaces in case anyone bothers to look inside.

Last edited:
Airbrushed my ass off today for hours.
Went with model masters light gray FS96495 for the base hull color.
Probably will just mix a touch of black into it and use the same for the random panalizing next weekend.

I didn't glue the conning tower in place yet, it's much easier to paint this thing without it in place since you have to flip it upside down so much.

Almost there.

No stand yet, have to figure that out or maybe hang it from the ceiling.

IMG_6654.jpg

IMG_6646.jpg

IMG_6644.jpg

Re: Annigrand 1/2256 Star Destroyer

Wow. I can just picture this thing in the middle of a wedge formation with a few Revell Venators and 2 Fat Guys Acclamators. Hope someone has a big living room with a very understanding wife...

:lol Well Stu if you manage to have this in your living room !!! you might just say good bye to the wife.. understanding or not !!! LOL

all in good fun !!! some of us have Star wars Freaks as main squeeze...

But there is a line not to be crossed !! LOL

Nice Star Destroyer... BTW buddy !!!

Too bad they are no more, thanks to Lucas Lawyers.... !:thumbsdown

Edited: All previous contents of my post have been erased. I'm still new to these forums and am still learning what info not to post. My apologies to any parties effected by the previous contents of this post.

-Chris

Last edited:
Under the circumstances, Arnold might appreciate a little discretion.

:cool

FWIW, he sent me two of these things, both of which were confiscated by US Customs.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back