ZK's ZF-1 research thread

Re: ZK's ZF-1 reasearch/build thread

We don't really have something like that. We used to have our inspection stickers on the windsheild but those are gone now. Then there is the registation sticker but that goes on the license plate.

Those things look really close. Are they the right size? That gold one on evilbay would be right on if it had 8 bolts. The ripspeed looks good too. Have these things been around since 95-96?

We don't really have something like that. We used to have our inspection stickers on the windsheild but those are gone now. Then there is the registation sticker but that goes on the license plate.

Those things look really close. Are they the right size? That gold one on evilbay would be right on if it had 8 bolts. The ripspeed looks good too. Have these things been around since 95-96?

A tax disk measures 7.5cm so I guess the holder would be between 9 and 10cm diameter.

I had a red one back in 97 and I dont think they were new out then.

I am going to carry on searching for another thing it could be in case as I'm not 100% sure the tax disk holders are thick enough for this part.

...There are chrome ones around for sale somewhere but i can't seem to find the link now. I thought it was McMaster-Carr but i can't find them on their website.

I chose to scratch build the struts and picked up a set of 8mm Ball ends from Strut-your-Stuff on Ebay (they're the guys that post their merchandise on a yellow ruler). Also got the tube, shaft (bolt) and brass caps at Home Depot.

I believe they are the right size, around 9-10cm.

Ive been looking for a while, and there arent many with 8 holes. Heres one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Evo-Sport-Del...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27b13033b9

But the shape isnt right. Heres another link to a selection, the top third is good but only 6 holes:

http://img1.tradeget.com/liekoo\7KNYLVP410000000.jpg

Motor Bike ones seem to have more holes:

http://www.triumphclassictwinspares.co.uk/images/body-and-frame/tax-disc-holders/round-blue-1.JPG

http://www.bikex.co.uk/acatalog/trident_Chrome_tax_disc_holder.jpg

But they have the triangle part coming off.

And as said already, most of them dont seem thick enough.

isn't #1 a stearing dampener?

31hvKrmqj%2BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

for cycles (bicycle, quad racer, motorcycles?)

and #26 is a sportbike fuel cap ring (i don't know which model/year but it fits around a fuel cap like this) I'll keep looking

41s-GDbwebL.jpg

Last edited:

So i got my Revell Voyager in the post today, and this got me wondering if any other bits on this kit might have been used on the ZF-1.

The piece i was wondering about was the socket where the cable connects into in the side of the sight pod.

While looking at the back of the Voyager box, i noticed some very similar shapes on the Kazon fighter:

Notice on the back end the two curved cone shaped pieces.

Here is a compare with the lower cone, on the left side of this model highlighted in green:

This looks to me like the right piece.

What do you guys think?

Lewis

Great work Lewis. Amazing find. When I first got the voyager kit, I ran over the whole thing looking for other parts that may have been in the ZF1. Did not occur to me that they might kitbash other trek kits. REALLY good eye man. Great stuff.

The good news is that those Kazon kits are widely available. Heck, pretty much every hobby store I set foot into has a dusty one over in a back corner.

yes these kits are readily available.....there was one in my local model shop which i noticed, while searching for the Voyager (which they didnt have).

They now dont have a Kazon either! :love

Heres an compare shot:

I've been trying to make a plan for this shell. I cut the excess off of the edge and taped the shell together.

Last edited:

Since I've already been scooped on a couple of my finds, I thought I would contribute some info about the REMOTE CONTROL that was used to activate the ZF1 in the movie. This is sort of old news, and has already made the rounds, but I'd like to believe I was the first to identify and source this item. I've made a recent blog entry that has a couple never before posted pics. Check it out!

http://mattmunson1.blogspot.com/2010/04/zorg-remote.html

ZK, that shell is coming together very nicely. I'm very interested to see how you tackle the seam clean up and whatnot. Great stuff. Please keep the pics coming!

ZK, that shell is coming together very nicely. I'm very interested to see how you tackle the seam clean up and whatnot. Great stuff. Please keep the pics coming!

I'm hoping there will not be much exterior clean up. I don't want to mess up any outer details. Those pics show a big seam gap because the tape keeps stretching. I am hoping by taping the seam and starting on the inside i should only have a tiny bit to sand right over the seam. Thats the plan anyways.

Cool find on the weights. They do look right. Are they the correct size? I wonder if they had to weight the bottom down so it would stay sitting upright when place on a table. They might actually serve a function.

ZombieKiller- great work on the shell. Looking forward to updates.

MattMunson- Thanks for sharing your finds, I have just picked up one of these....

zorgremote.jpg

I don't know if this has ever been discussed, but here is the grip for the ZF-1.

P1050865.jpg

It's the exact same grip used on this:

P1050866.jpg

I not only have a screen used stunt Mangalore Rifle, but thanks to one of our favorite members, I now have the studio master mold for said rifle.

Right now I am in the process of having a test pull done by my fiberglass shop, but I will be making a mold of just the grip for ZF-1's if anyone is interested when it comes to that.

Gregg

nice work gregg!

Ive been searching for the grip for a while......now we know.

I'd be interested in a cast of this!

I can't take credit for identifying the part, but it definitely figured into my reasoning for buying the mold.

LDR...I'll let you know when the grip is ready and available. I guess I need to start collecting these other pieces.

Gregg

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back