ZK's ZF-1 research thread

Re: ZK's ZF-1 reasearch/build thread

I think it's only diamond when you are looking at it at a 45 degree angle. Looks like squares with square gaps to me.

here is some i found on ebay, it has the rectangular blocks though, but a pretty good colour match, yes?

Maybe it's the camera angle for some reason they don't look like they are the same width as the height. Your square pattern looks , well, square.

Yep it's the square pattern and not the rectangular one after all. Just the angle of the photo made it look squished.

Maybe it's the camera angle for some reason they don't look like they are the same width as the height. Your square pattern looks , well, square.

heres a pic vash uploaded of the different patterns, it defo looks like the square version (to me)

squares.jpg

You may be right. This stuff is used alot for router table surfaces too. I am not sure i am happy with the size of the patterns shown so far.

is this the stuff for the edges?

o ring cord.

10mm foam rope - Google Search

-z

oh yeah heres a screen cap with the sd gun, looks like its the same material used. the rope is maybe 8mm??

Last edited:

...The grip/handle doesnt' actually support any weight. It's non load bearing. There is an aluminum dowel that goes from the bottom of the frame up through the handle and attaches somewhere inside the frame. The handle is just wrapped around that..

That 'dowel' is the stock grip screw that was extended to tie the lower subframe to the gun grip for more structural integrity BECAUSE the grip takes the FULL load of the gun when lifting it from rest. Also, if the grip is not solidly bolted in, it will twist around when grasped.

For the lower case trim I currently use 1/4" (5.5mm) automotive vacuum tube, split it with a pen knife and use it to cap the edge (putty style weatherstrip adhesive holds it in place).

lower_trim.jpg

Last edited:

I don't know if it is already known.
Sorry in this case.

SCI-FI & FANTASY FX #48 (Aug 2000)
British freelance armourers Andrew Fletcher and Simon Atherton discuss their respective work on ALIENS / ALIEN 3 and ALIEN WAR.
Author: Geoff Topping

Simon_Atherton_Interview_001mini.jpg

Larger view : http://www.movieprops.fr/therpf/Simon_Atherton_Interview_001.jpg

GT: Why do you think people are so fascinated with what are clearly some of the most famous movie guns / props of all time? Does this surprise you?

SA: Yes, I think it does in a way. I think that people always have a fascination with weaponry. I let my mind go mad. Most people can draw up a sci-fi or fantasy gun, but it has to have credibility to it. You have to be able to look at it and say, "Yeah, that would work." Technology is advancing, but I don't think ray guns will replace projectile weapons. It's amazing the interest people have in the Pulse Rifle. Another sci-fi gun which I have worked on which has also been popular was Gary Oldman's multi functional pod gun in THE FIFTH ELEMENT, the Zorg Industries ZF-1 Weapon System.

GT: What did you utilize as the practical weapon in the ZF-1 prop?

SA: It was the AK74SU. The design was similar to the configuration of a carriage clock. It had two panels on the outside and the AK was contained within.

GT: What other guns did you work on for THE FIFTH ELEMENT?

SA: The Mangalore rifles and the large gun based on the .50 M2 Browning. We built that in a week with bits we found around Pinewood. It was one of those jobs where we were running around trying to slam it together. The screen on the unit was made from perspex.

On THE FIFTH ELEMENT we took a gun and designed the prop weapon around it. It's much easier than producing a design and finding a gun to fit the drawing.

Otherwise you have the problem of somebody going mad with a drawing and producing a design that will interfere with the operation of the weapon. You also have to think about a design that will allow for access to the gun for maintenance and for cleaning at the end of each days' shoot.

here's a small contribution to the thread.

The propstore gun has slightly different plumbing at the back of the practical flame thrower and a brass valve on the side near the yellow light. Looking through the clippard catalogue I found some likely candidates for the parts and took a punt and ordered them - I needed the MPA-3 anyway.

clippard.jpg

top block is an MJV-3. Centre tube is an MPA-3. The L fitting on the bottom is 15002-1. The needle valve (MNV-2K) isn't quite an exact match - I assume the design of the part has changed over the last 14 years but it's close enough (and optional anyway).

I may not use the top block - but it provides an accurate scale ref for the diameter of the flamer tube.

So, how many of you are putting one of these together? I hope to get a shell from coinprop soon, but I'm going to have to wait to start on this one... too many other new toys this year! In the meantime, I want to see other people's progress!

Can anyone post some good screencaps of the scene in the lower video Tee posted? The one where they are assembling the live fire gun.

TIA

These pics are extracted of "The Element", the making of in the French Blu-Ray.

I don't have yet a blu-ray on my pc for make great caps.
The making of part isn't the same that you can see on "Searching for the Fifth Element".

Searching for the Fifth Element Part I
‪The Making Of The Fifth Element Movie Part I‬‏ - YouTube

Two small extracts :

FE_ZF1_Shooting_Anim_001.gif

FE_ZF1_Shooting_Anim_002.gif

I hate these men! LOL

Zombie,

I got in the french 5E Bluray on Friday which has "The Elements" documentary on it, and those two shots that Tee posted are not in the documentary I have.

Below are a couple screencaps from the few scenes that the ZF1 is shown in. I screencapped every frame of the ZF1 that was new to me, so if you want a DVD burned of ALL the screencaps and mailed to you, send me a note here on the RPF. "The Elements" documentary is in Standard Definition (640x480) format, not Hi-Def(1920x1080), so quality of image is lacking slightly (but still better than nothing).

vlcsnap-00057.png

vlcsnap-00077.png

vlcsnap-00091.png

vlcsnap-00114.png

Great pics, thanks!

The first ZF-1 looks very shiney. Almost like its spray painted silver.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back