ZK's ZF-1 research thread

Re: ZK's ZF-1 reasearch/build thread

I would be interested in seeing the hero shell, i have a closed pod shell cast that i need to cut up, but a hero i would be interested in!

I guess I could mold the shell, it's an easy project!
If enough interest I could do it.

Last night I made the cuts on the second cast out of the mold from a production used pod (not Munsons). Material is gelcoat fiberglass and impressively strong. I'll offer these for sale next week when I have black gelcoat. Yes, the halves will be seamed together.

Seams cleaned, filled and primered
fglass_3.4.jpg

Case cut for use on an open display
fglass_cuts.jpg

yea i just chose that pic for the straight side on shot but you can still see the grip/trigger area is a couple inches lower than it would be on the ak in screenshots. actually it may make putting droidboys grip in place easier if its the case

Here's the overlay I used to create the 2010 replica. The grip doesn't look to be in the correct place because of the anamorphic lense bending the image, but when one lines up the details in the clip with other frames from the film, this is the correct scale +/- 3 percent.

ak74_layup.jpg

yea thats pretty much how my other picture turned out too. yours is a clearer capture than I used.

i still think the triggers in an awkward spot but looks like it might just be a bit of a finger reach to get to. Guess ill find out when I get far enough along to have the gun mounted inside the shell

its definately a fun project

Last edited:

Very cool Superkrates. Is there by chance a color list for rattle cans. I unfortunately don't have a airbrush. Mine died.

I want one of your pods I just have no way to accurately paint it and paying someone is costly.

...Is there by chance a color list for rattle cans.

Till now I've finished the shells with Tamiya rattle can colors TS-1, TS-46, TS-34 and TS-68. Really, no one can tell the difference unless it is side by side with an original.

Awesome. For mine, I've finished the upper/lower shell assembly and seam filling, so this is good info.

Right now I'm working on designing interior frame and trying to figure out dimensions for the metal side plate. Pretty tricky but I'm getting there

Awesome. For mine, I've finished the upper/lower shell assembly and seam filling, so this is good info.

Right now I'm working on designing interior frame and trying to figure out dimensions for the metal side plate. Pretty tricky but I'm getting there

Pics or Bin Laden is still alive.

lol, was getting dark outside but just took these pics

the cut between top and bottom shell is still a little sloppy, but I have a plan for that section where it wont matter

aside from the pod, so far I've acquired airsoft ak-74su, the enterprise and kazon model kits, bullpup rocket, and droidboys pistol grip

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back